Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
My favourite type of book! I can't think of that many off the top of my head, but here's a couple to get you going:

THE MISSING GIRL by Norma Fox Mazer

PROVE YOURSELF A HERO (Goodreads description is a bit rubbish, but the book is better than the cover and description make out)
and
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DEATH, both by K.M. Peyton - About a kidnapping and a murder, respectively - the 1st one is my favourite but the second one has so much suspense/tension it's unbearable lol. (Note, on GR it says AMND is #1 in the series and PYAH #2, but it's the other way round.)

SHATTERING GLASS by Gail Giles. My favourite YA book, end of. One that you think about for days afterwards, brutal and shocking and worryingly possible.

That's all I've got, hope it helped!

wow! thanks for the list!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
So it was good? I'm really excited about this one since it's in the genre I write. I'm going to buy it in the next couple of days.
Yes, it was. But if you hate remakes/retellings, then I should warn you it is a loose retelling of And Then There Were None.

The_Ink_Goddess, LadyA - thanks!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
More YA Thrillers (some titles I found myself)--just in case someone else watched my request.

Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman
Beautiful Malice
Fury by Shirley Marr
Confessions of a Murder Suspect (this is more of a whodunit, but it has a lot of suspenseful tension)

ETA: The Vanishing Game

Last edited:

micahcannibal

I am a Cannibal :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.enterthefayz.com
I need a recommend or two!

I just finished Quarantine: The Loners by Lex thomas and I FREAKING LOVED IT.
It is so similar to Michael Grant's Gone(minus the powers)

so i am looking for a similar story...

Things I am looking for:

Trapped kids facing some sort of challenge
Sociopathic or extremely dangerous teen antagonist
violence/blood

I am already starting to read variant

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
so i am looking for a similar story...

Things I am looking for:

violence/blood

It's (really) old, so you may have already read it, but Lord of the Flies fits this list perfectly.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I just thoroughly traumatized myself reading Pet Sematary, so I need something light-hearted. More funny than fluffy. Like Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Ideas?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Looking for good YA science fiction that takes place in present day (or near future). Anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

AriAmaru

Registered
Reaction score
Profen4 - I recommend Malinda Lo's Adaptation. I do have a few criticisms of it (particularly the teen drama interrupting the action, and the ending could have been stronger), but the beginning is VERY exciting and Lo's prose is uber-competent.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it was. But if you hate remakes/retellings, then I should warn you it is a loose retelling of And Then There Were None.

The_Ink_Goddess, LadyA - thanks!

I know this might be a total shocker but I've never read that book. BUT all my friends have been mentioning that book to me lately. Perhaps I should read that one instead?

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some good SF and Fantasy in 1st person, either past or present. Suggestions?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I just thoroughly traumatized myself reading Pet Sematary, so I need something light-hearted. More funny than fluffy. Like Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Ideas?

BOY MEETS BOY is an excellent LGBT book, and ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS is a fun YA (straight) romance with a chick-flick feel to it. Both are more fluffy than funny, but they have a healthy dose of humor.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I know this might be a total shocker but I've never read that book. BUT all my friends have been mentioning that book to me lately. Perhaps I should read that one instead?
If you want to read TEN and you don't know much about ATTWN, I suggest reading TEN first.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Things I am looking for:

violence/blood

Have you read THE HUNGER GAMES? It ticks boxes 1 and 3, but not 2 -- I wouldn't class Katniss as sociopathic, though she can be dangerous.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of some fluffy (or not-so-fluffy but heart-warming at the end) YA romance. Like Stephanie Perkins, but Isla isn't out yet. Or Wanderlust. Or even My Life Next Door. Something along those lines, preferably recent. Suggestions please?

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Any other preferences? This covers a lot.

— a narrator who's capable of wit and humor
— dark and weird and character-driven
— no or very few scenes set in high schools, because I just read a few novels with lots of them
— the presence of commentary; prose that aspires to be 100% Show isn't my thing; of all authors, YA or otherwise, John Green's dramatization-commentary ratio is my favorite

Last edited:

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a few recs for books with male MCs? Having a hard time finding some.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a few recs for books with male MCs? Having a hard time finding some.

IMO, John Green is one of the best, if not the best, but you've probably already read him.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Things I am looking for:

violence/blood

I haven't read this book yet, but the blurb sounds very similar, maybe someone who read it can confirm: THE FARM by Emily McKay.
Well, it's not YA. :) But it's a great read, though I might be biased, because I love love love Agatha Christie.
Also, if you write mystery, reading her books is actually educational, she invented half the tricks and tropes of the genre. Sometimes people say like, wow, I read <title> and it had such a cool twist, and then they describe it--and I recognize it as something she made up 50+ years ago.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of some fluffy (or not-so-fluffy but heart-warming at the end) YA romance. Like Stephanie Perkins, but Isla isn't out yet. Or Wanderlust. Or even My Life Next Door. Something along those lines, preferably recent. Suggestions please?

Going Too Far and Forget You by Jennifer Echols
Let It Snow by Maureen Johnson, John Green, and Lauren Myracle
Meant To Be by Lauren Morrill
Preloved by Shirley Marr
Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Last edited:

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Does anyone have any recommendations for cyberpunk YA books? I already got some dark sf anthologies in my amazon shopping cart. I've looked in dystopian, I thought Legend and Partials looked interesting.