Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
SECONDED ALLY SECONDED.

though, there are some herbal teas up there...

ETA: but srsly, I have 3 oolong teas in my house AND I LOVE THEM.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I had three cups last night, totaling 12 tea bags of oolong tea! Utter heaven!

Kind of wish i had some at my apartment... maybe i'll go out and buy some! Its addictive i tell you addictive.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about authors and agents who criticize and harass reviewers? I was thinking about buying this book, but supposedly there is this whole scandal going on about it because a negative review. The behavior of the author and the agent towards this reviewer wasn't very favorable in the least.

So I am trying to figure out should I still buy the book and give it a shot or not buy it because what the things the author did was pretty fucked up and I don't condone that behavior in the least.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I heard about what book i think your talking about... Personally i cant understand how someone gets an agent and becomes a published author and has not learned how to take criticizer's at that point. I haven't even queried, and over the last four years i've grown a 5X thicker skin when it comes to that stuff.

As for weather to buy it. That's up to you. If you don't condone it don't buy it. But just because a guy is an A**hole doesn't mean the books not good. (my inner negative paranoia thinks maybe this is a publicity thing.)

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
oooff... my brother has come around with strong smelling kfc. It's making my stomach rumble. -.- lol

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Kat, how is your brother doing? Is he out of the hospital?

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Kat, how is your brother doing? Is he out of the hospital?

Oh I'm talking about my other brother.

But yeah, the one that was in hospital is out of hospital now, has been for a few weeks now. He's doing okay as far as I know. Not seen him since he got out. lol.
Thanks for asking :)

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I'm talking about my other brother.

But yeah, the one that was in hospital is out of hospital now, has been for a few weeks now. He's doing okay as far as I know. Not seen him since he got out. lol.
Thanks for asking :)

Family members in the hospital are the worst. They also really slow down writing, and everything really. The constant worry and all that. I'm glad he's doing better! Hope he continues to improve!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I feel the need to finish my HP fanfiction now. Maybe over the summer.

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think harassing a reviewer necessarily makes the book in question any better or worse.

I do question the sanity of said individuals when they should know that it won't matter what you write--somebody will hate it.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about authors and agents who criticize and harass reviewers? I was thinking about buying this book, but supposedly there is this whole scandal going on about it because a negative review. The behavior of the author and the agent towards this reviewer wasn't very favorable in the least.

So I am trying to figure out should I still buy the book and give it a shot or not buy it because what the things the author did was pretty fucked up and I don't condone that behavior in the least.

I might give the book a shot. There are plenty of good reasons not to read anything by an author ever again, but I don't think the author being a precious little snowflake is that serious. It's a case of stupid rather than evil.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Very true CIW.

There will always be someone to hate your work. On a happier note there will always be at least one person that loves it!

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score

I feel the same way about agents/authors that say stupid things as I do about reviewers that say stupid things. Reviewers need to learn the difference between a review and author-bashing. Agents/authors need to learn that if they can't control yourself and phrase any response eloquently, then you need to stop reading reviews.

Whether it would affect my future purchase of a book by that author depends on the situation and how strongly I feel about it.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh turns out my brother hadn't brought kfc around. The smell was my mums casserole cooking.. Damn my nose fails me sometimes. haha

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
What a let down.... well unless your mom's casserole is great, but KFC is awesome!

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Those are all very true statements. However, this particular reviewer wasn't harassing anyone. She was stating her opinion about that book in particular and in turn, she was attacked for it and it even went as far as her being called a bitch.

I am not going to lie. There are some pretty harsh reviewers on Goodreads that say some pretty nasty stuff about the authors and their books. Very, very nasty stuff and I don't agree with any of that either.

I suppose I shouldn't let that affect my reasoning for purchasing a book. Maybe I'll just check it out at the library.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, is this about THE CARR1ER OF THE MARK? I read it, and I would thoroughly not recommend it. :tongue

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, is this about THE CARR1ER OF THE MARK? I read it, and I would thoroughly not recommend it. :tongue

I haven't read that one yet, but the one I am talking about is The Sel3ction. I've been craving dystopian stories lately and that is suppose to be one of them, but even before I found out about the scandal, I was having my doubts because YA dystopia nowadays doesn't feel like dystopia.

It just has a few elements injected here and there. It's either that or the romance is so overpowering that it doesn't feel like a dystopia story at all.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good! Yeah i just had an old slice of pizza hut pizza... but i have to leave to fail my exam soon!

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure you'll do just fine, Ally! :) Anyway, I gotta go for dinner now, so....BBL! :D

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I can hope. But its not going to happen. Only the first exam... there SHOULD be two more, but knowing Campbell, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.