Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A great blue, flying so close that I felt a rush of air as she went by. But I was ready for her: :)

3-11-12169-SM.jpg

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that's quickWit and cray.

:roll:

Both great shots, but I especially love the first one. It reminds me of the alleged Loch Ness pics.

Alleged? :e2cry:

A great blue, flying so close that I felt a rush of air as she went by. But I was ready for her: :)

I love this shot SO much! New desktop pic!

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score

That is a stunning shot. :Clap:

I have more bugs to contribute. :D

One year my boys were pulling weeds (though not for the reasons people normally pull weeds :rolleyes:) and they found this pupa buried in the dirt. It kind of freaked them out because the case was hard like a shell, but when they touched it the end would wiggle.
pupaxu0.jpg

So we decided to hatch it out and see what it was. We ended up with this very cool little Sphinx Moth.
sphinxmothhf5.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's pretty cool, Wicked. I've found those pupae before while gardening, but never knew what they morphed into. Thanks for clearing up the mystery. Of course, the ones I see could be a different species. It's kind of creepy how they wiggle around, they look so dormant.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com

One year my boys were pulling weeds (though not for the reasons people normally pull weeds :rolleyes:) and they found this pupa buried in the dirt. It kind of freaked them out because the case was hard like a shell, but when they touched it the end would wiggle.
pupaxu0.jpg

So we decided to hatch it out and see what it was. We ended up with this very cool little Sphinx Moth.
sphinxmothhf5.jpg

Such a pretty moth! And you have a great camera. you can see the fuzzies!

I want to pet this moth.

Sigh. I never see cool stuff like this. We do have some pretty amazing spider webst spread between some trees outside of work with GINORMOUS spiders. However, my camera phone can't focus on them... and I admit it would be a rather perilous photo to get closer due to the curb and the massive bushes - I try, but I totter, and I can see myself falling into the bush and destroying the bottom of the web.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I love this shot SO much! New desktop pic!
Another one already? ;)

Thank you.

Those are great. I really like how the ruler shows the size perspective in those images.

I'm curious about the process you used to keep the pupa alive until the moth hatched. Also, was it done indoors or outdoors?

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, cool, and all very cool. :D Loved the Haggisauris. Geez, couldn't you've gotten a closer pic, SK? :p

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
How far do you live from this massive critter? :scared:

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Close enough that if Katho ever visits, she'll learn a lesson or two about the true meaning of mounted.

:ROFL:

I don't think any of this is natural nature.

*hides from nature*

Great shots btw, SK. :) Thanks for sharing them.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread has inspired me to take my camera with me when we hit the trails on Sunday. I'm sure my pics will suck though, because my camera is so-so and my hands shake.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely post something, KLM, even if it's shaky. :)

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Nice Kay, can't wait to see what you capture. :) All I have are pics of my cats. :( I don't get to get out into nature much. My daughter took some pics of some beasts out in Palo Duro Canyon. They're a bit blurry, though.