• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Does it ever end? I'd seriously like to know. I have files open on both my PC and laptop trying to come up with a plan for another draft.
No, my dear, it never ends.

I'm STILL revising my one novel. STILL.

I need to start something new too.
It never ends.

I posted my little signature excerpt today and ended up revising my ms. I am a perpetual tweaking machine. I may as well just accept it. :Shrug:
It never ends.

Ugh I'm not feeling confident about my novella. The deadline submission is at the end of the month and with rewrites and fact-checking still needed, I don't know if it will be ready. This was kind of a mess from the start. I didn't really have a good story. I winged this one, which isn't my thing. An outline is necessary, in which case I may submit somewhere else since I don't know if it will be ready by 12/31. Next month there are a couple of other places I want to submit to and they're due within a month. So I'm wondering if I should shelf this current project to work on other ideas that have been fleshed out until I figure out what the hell I want from this story.

In other news my novel is coming along quite well. I'm excited for it, and I'm excited about being excited about it. Stayed up until midnight writing. This week will be the hump! My quota is a little over 30k words by the end of the week, which will bring me over halfway done! Whew... I'm feeling positive about it. :evil
Like I said, it never ends.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I've written words three days in a row! That might not seem like much to some people, but as a college student this is the first time I've had the time or inspiration to write this much in MONTHS. I even brainstormed for a new story yesterday and got so much from it I was able to add a new WIP to my sig! I'm on a roll!:TheWave:

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
Grats! I've been on a similar roll, even though the word counts have been miniscule (grabbing fifteen-minute chunks while at work in order to put down another paragraph, just trying to keep the story rolling). Part of what's been helping me, I think, is that I've been spending about half an hour when I first get up doing "morning words" per The Artist's Way. Mind, those aren't words for the story, but just for shaking my brain and dumping out the excess thoughts. I was actually sort of disappointed last night when I actually had enough work to do that I didn't have my usual hours of nothing but occupying a chair to write a little more, but then I wound up finding a ten-minute respite at the very end of my shift (a little past 2 in the morning) to show up to the page.

That last bit, just showing up to the page, has been my biggest obstacle. It's funny to think how something so simple can be so daunting.

Last edited:

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
The following things are on my mind:
1. I am so very close to reaching my 50 posts so I can then share my work here. Exciting! I have been posting since September and at the rate I was going I didn't know when I'd make it.
2. I introduced myself to and shared my work (Children's Picture Book) with the Head Children's Librarian at our local library. That was HUGE for me because it was like admitting I am a writer. Also, the librarian had some great insight regarding the marketability of my story.
3. Despite all that good stuff, I am frustrated with myself because I have been sitting on an idea for far too long. I keep working through it in my head but have yet to put anything on paper (screen?). At this point, I have lost a lot of the details and ideas I had months ago. So, yeh...bummer. I just need to write it.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote 7,500 words today! For the first time ever, I tried writing too projects at once. I was in the middle of one, but I felt the strong desire to write in the other, so I decided why not.

I ended up writing 4,500 words in my upper MG fantasy and 3,000 in my epic fantasy. Since they are quite different stories, I think switching between them actually helped. I'll have to see how this experiment works over the long run.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote 7,500 words today! For the first time ever, I tried writing too projects at once. I was in the middle of one, but I felt the strong desire to write in the other, so I decided why not.

I ended up writing 4,500 words in my upper MG fantasy and 3,000 in my epic fantasy. Since they are quite different stories, I think switching between them actually helped. I'll have to see how this experiment works over the long run.
Wow! That's awesome, congrats!

Megann

Registered
Reaction score
Working on a new project and can't seem to move beyond the basic setup or even figure out what the ultimate conflict is. This needs some more mulling over.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score

Hey. Fess up. What are ya taking? And where can I get some?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking a break from revising (at least this morning) (((might do it later))) but for now, it's Friday. The Friday before Christmas, so this is the last weekend here. I'm just gonna take it easy. Screw it. It can wait.

I know I'm not going to hear on any submissions either. But I can't convince myself to stop checking my email anyway.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Debating whether or not trade publication is worth the effort. I don't know that I have what it takes. Rewriting my latest novel threw me into the worst depression of my life -- and now I need another draft. I haven't even looked at my query letter in months. Some of this is just general woe-is-me moping, I know, but that depression seriously frightened me. I thought my creativity was dead. I thought I'd never write again.

I have a plan for the 3rd draft. I know what I need to do. I just don't know if I'm fooling myself by trying.

shs22

Registered
Reaction score
I started revising an older thing I wrote, and I noticed the opening is almost identical to the opening of the most recent thing I wrote. Both have a character with high hopes => character has their hopes and dreams crushed => character gets mad and starts lashing out at people around them. It's uncanny how similar they are even though I wrote them years apart and in different genres.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
More than 4,000 words today! Splitting my time between two projects is still helping. Let's see if it lasts.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Adding another scene. Seems I've neglected my 2nd POV a bit. I'd rather combine a few scenes, but atm, I can't see it. Kind of neglecting character voice until I can get everything down in this draft. Voice is easiest to add last.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Debating whether or not trade publication is worth the effort. I don't know that I have what it takes. Rewriting my latest novel threw me into the worst depression of my life -- and now I need another draft. I haven't even looked at my query letter in months. Some of this is just general woe-is-me moping, I know, but that depression seriously frightened me. I thought my creativity was dead. I thought I'd never write again.

I have a plan for the 3rd draft. I know what I need to do. I just don't know if I'm fooling myself by trying.
I know just what you mean. Myself, I have a plan. I'm going to try the trade pub route. If it gets too painful, I'll try the self-pub route. After that, there are no routes.

Luckily, I have a sense of humor to go along with my sense of doom. :D

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com

Atalanta. I shall not say chin up or buck up, won't tell you not to give up. This process can be frustrating, maddening; it can take its toll sometimes. Be good to yourself, kind to yourself.

Thinking of you. :Hug2:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about going all the way in school. Being in an MFA program has helped my writing more than I ever thought possible. I actually don't want this experience to end. So now I am looking at PhD programs. I like being in the company of other writers and having writing be at the center my life.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Thinking about going all the way in school. Being in an MFA program has helped my writing more than I ever thought possible. I actually don't want this experience to end. So now I am looking at PhD programs. I like being in the company of other writers and having writing be at the center my life.

I don't think that would work for me at all. I've never gotten anything out of a writing class. There's so much focus on poetry and literary fiction, neither of which I write. Besides, I have too many interests to put everything behind writing like that (and I'd be terrified that nothing will come of it).

On my end, I've made 3,000 today in the upper MG fantasy. Now I'm working on the epic fantasy.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I made 3,000 words in both. Just short of 7,000 for the day. If I'd known working on two projects at a time would be this productive, I would have tried it long ago.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I have a terrible memory, so I'd like to write down notes and information about the characters and world for my story, but each time I do I loose interest. :(

Even though it's not important, I really want to draw concept art of my characters. ;_;

GAH.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
A couple days ago I was bored and had no novels from the library, so I took out the ipad and browsed the library's selection of available ebooks--not my favourite format, but I really felt like reading for a bit. One novel caught my eye, because the author and I are Twitter buddies (my Twitter is non-writing, but hers does mention the book--for some reason I'd never looked it up). It sounded like my cup of tea so I thought I'd have a look.

I read it straight through. In one sitting. I can't recall ever doing that with a novel before (I can think of one non-fiction book that did it). It is, of course, a very good book, well-written with a touching story and endearing characters. But the most significant thing to me was the personal connection I had with it--it felt very, very much like the story of my first love. Like a lot of that relationship, the novel unfolded through letters, and I felt very nearly as if I was reading the early correspondence between me and that long-ago fellow of mine. I was in tears through most of it--even (maybe especially) the happy parts--and sometimes stopped at the end of the chapter to break down and sob. I never cried so much at a book. I'm sure it depends on the reader but I really like that kind of thing--I love when a book can make me cry (as long as it's not cheaply), and to be caught up in such intense feeling the whole time I read was really incredible, if draining. The book had a happier ending than my romance, which was lovely. I actually wrote the writer as soon as I'd finished to tell her what it had meant to me; she is lovely too and already wrote me a nice response.

What does this have to do with writing, as opposed to reading? Well, it's really been illuminating to think of how that novel moved me. Of course I've been moved by novels before, and cried plenty, and loved characters, but connecting so intensely to a novel certainly isn't something that's happened to me in a long time, if ever. And it makes me think--wow. Someone else's novel can do that to me. Of course the story doesn't mean exactly the same thing to me as it does to her, and a reader could never love characters quite as much as an author--but it meant a lot, and I loved the characters. And I think--one day, my novel could do that. Even if it's just one reader out of all of them, someone could feel my novel like I felt this one. That alone would make all of it worthwhile.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
A couple days ago I was bored and had no novels from the library, so I took out the ipad and browsed the library's selection of available ebooks--not my favourite format, but I really felt like reading for a bit. One novel caught my eye, because the author and I are Twitter buddies (my Twitter is non-writing, but hers does mention the book--for some reason I'd never looked it up). It sounded like my cup of tea so I thought I'd have a look.

I read it straight through. In one sitting. I can't recall ever doing that with a novel before (I can think of one non-fiction book that did it). It is, of course, a very good book, well-written with a touching story and endearing characters. But the most significant thing to me was the personal connection I had with it--it felt very, very much like the story of my first love. Like a lot of that relationship, the novel unfolded through letters, and I felt very nearly as if I was reading the early correspondence between me and that long-ago fellow of mine. I was in tears through most of it--even (maybe especially) the happy parts--and sometimes stopped at the end of the chapter to break down and sob. I never cried so much at a book. I'm sure it depends on the reader but I really like that kind of thing--I love when a book can make me cry (as long as it's not cheaply), and to be caught up in such intense feeling the whole time I read was really incredible, if draining. The book had a happier ending than my romance, which was lovely. I actually wrote the writer as soon as I'd finished to tell her what it had meant to me; she is lovely too and already wrote me a nice response.

What does this have to do with writing, as opposed to reading? Well, it's really been illuminating to think of how that novel moved me. Of course I've been moved by novels before, and cried plenty, and loved characters, but connecting so intensely to a novel certainly isn't something that's happened to me in a long time, if ever. And it makes me think--wow. Someone else's novel can do that to me. Of course the story doesn't mean exactly the same thing to me as it does to her, and a reader could never love characters quite as much as an author--but it meant a lot, and I loved the characters. And I think--one day, my novel could do that. Even if it's just one reader out of all of them, someone could feel my novel like I felt this one. That alone would make all of it worthwhile.

Wow, sounds like a great book. And the title?

I'm in the middle of reading and polishing my current WIP and reading Speak by: Laurie Halse Anderson. It was slow in the beginning but it's picking up now and I'm half-way through. It's only about 200 pages and I'm usually a slow reader anyway. I've only read a handful of books in one sitting or in just a few days. Most of the time it takes me a few weeks.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
5,000 words today. A little over 4,500 in the upper MG fantasy. A little over 500 in the epic fantasy. I'm okay with that distribution. I guess that's one of the nice things about working on two things at once. I can focus on whichever one is grabbing my interest at the moment.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Had another great day of productivity. Days off from work are nice. I wrote about 7,500 words. About 4,300 hundred in the epic fantasy. About 3,200 in the upper MG fantasy.

For the first time in a while, I'm really having fun writing again. One of my antagonists in the epic fantasy (who is also a POV character) is so much fun to write.