• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Easiest Weapon To Accidentally Murder Someone With

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrosama

Pyrosama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
matrix-hole.blogspot.com
Not sure if this is the right spot for this query, but here goes.
My MC is a mentally ill teenager who was feeling trapped by one of his friends, and so he used something - a common bedroom item, I'm hoping, maybe a lamp - just to hit him with, but he ended up dying.
What would be the best object to use for this?

A hairbrush. You hit someone with it and the bristles leave some small scratches, which become infected with a Necrotizing Fasciitis and eventually causing death.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
A baseball bat? A crappy car with bad brakes? I think it depends on a lot of factors to be honest.

Although, there was a special on PBS about the history of forensic science. One of the biggest cases was where a man was drinking with a female friends when they both mysteriously passed out. The man woke up, the woman didn't and he freaked out and desperately tried to dispose of the body, eventually being arrested for murder. Turned out, while they were drunk, they accidentally knocked over a kettle on the stove & failed to realize it blew the pilot light out.:Shrug:

DCVermillion

DC Vermillion
Registered
Reaction score
If the bedroom is upstairs, or in an apartment, then a simple shove through/ out the window would also do. or if you need blood for the scene, then the jagged glass of a slamming into the window works, no matter what floor they are on.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
There's a program on YouTube called 1000 Ways to Die, narrated by Ron Perlman. Has the weirdest, most unusual ways to accidentally kill someone. Not that I'm advocating it, you understand...this is information.

Don't Taze me, bro!:D

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right spot for this query, but here goes.
My MC is a mentally ill teenager who was feeling trapped by one of his friends, and so he used something - a common bedroom item, I'm hoping, maybe a lamp - just to hit him with, but he ended up dying.
What would be the best object to use for this?

It can be one of many, sure, depending on how strong the MI teenager is, the weight and material of the lamp, and the number of times he strikes the victim. I don't know what your victim looks like, his or her mental acuity, etc, but to me it seems that the MI teenager would have to repeatedly strike the victim on the head, or deliver one heavy blow with something stronger and solid, like a large book (saw bible mentioned). Whose bedroom is it? A man's or a woman's? Is it a familiar or strange place for your MC -- that might also determine what he chooses to use if he feels threatened.

A baseball bat or solid object (as mentioned) is better. DCVermillion also made a great point... falling is a great method for an accidental death. No weapon so it removes the concern about logistics and you can have the victim land on something to ensure a swift death. The neck could break, or depending on where they land its enough blunt force trauma to cause bleeding in the brain. Also, it would make more sense given the mental state of the teenager to use shoving or pushing; however MI can mean many things... I'd love to know what's his condition, since that might also help you determine what your MC would do in a situation where he feels trapped.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
We could have someone accidentally impaled on something.
I vote for this one. I was going to say fine point pen to the temple, but that seems like he's truly aiming to kill the other person. The person could give the other person a shove to move away from him and that other person accidently falls on something sharp in a way it penetrates the heart or the throat or the temple.

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
Picking up an item and hitting someone with it, sounds like it carries more intent than what you're looking for. Also for me, the lamp is obvious and overdone. I think a punch or a push, that results in a head injury would be best.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Hitting or pushing would be most plausible as an accidental murder. If somebody is hitting someone with an object, I would think they meant to harm that person.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
a kid in his bedroom? Trophies, you know the ones that are actually made out of metal, with a nice heavy base such as marble or granite. Opposing kid gets knocked out, his airway is blocked due to the fall and poof he's a goner.

mfoley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A lamp, a bookend, a heavy book, a pen.... Just look around your own bedroom. Practically everything has the potential to be a deadly weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.