• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Where is the line between "trite" and "timeless" story elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCtheBanditQueen

Registered
Reaction score
I've been mulling over this question. Doesn't really seem like a black and white answer kind of thing, since there are many ways to skin a cat, but I would love to hear opinions from you all who have been doing this longer than I

Where is the line between trite and overused story elements (for instance, the thousandth treatment of "stray dog befriends lonely person and they live happily ever after" ala Chicken Soup for the Soul), versus things that are "real" (something that could happen to a real person, not just a made up one, which brings the story closer to home to the reader) and perennial? For instance, a story about a broken family which could be about Joe Smith down the street. Or even, to be fair, a stray dog and a lonely person, which could also be about almost anyone.

I guess it's in the way the writer treats it.

What do you all think? Just curious.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Or on how the reader reads it

Some tropes I love, others I hate. My Old Man loves stuff I would not touch with a pole.

Unless you're doing SERIOUSLY cliche stuff* an adding NOTHING new, I wouldn't worry about it

Make it your own, then own it

*orphan finds sword, and also finds out he is secretly the son of the king. *eyeroll* But you could do something with that if you know it is cliche and make it your own. That trope was old in the sixties, but see Star Wars....

Last edited:

EJMatthews

closeted rhetorician
Registered
Reaction score
I think "trite" is also culturally relative. If you grew up in a culture that has formal coming of age rituals (a la debutantes or quinceañeras), you're going to find those tropes to be overused in part because your senses are dulled to that type of stimulus. For people who didn't grow up with those traditions they will seem like exotic, timeless rituals, and make for a more engrossing story.

I went to college with a woman from Ethiopia. I had the honor of standing next to her the first time she saw snow. I'll never forget the look on her face. As a Russian transplanted to Canada, snow is something I take for granted; I'm surrounded by it six or seven months out of the year. I hardly think about it. But for her, seeing tiny petals of ice fall from the sky was nothing short of a miracle.

Perspective. And letting the reader live a character's experiences and emotions. I think that's what draws the line between "contrived" and "timeless."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's all in how well you tell the story, and the originality you add to it.

smh1024

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like when you're writing about the human experience there isn't much you can write (meaning theme) that is 100% original. For instance, I am writing a children's book with the theme of a grandparent dying. Nothing new there, grandparents have been dying since the beginning of time. lol. However, I feel pretty certain that I'm doing that theme in a way that it hasn't been done before. So, as far as determining when something becomes "trite", I don't know if it is something that can be clearly defined. Also, I think it depends on what is "in" at the time (kinda like fashion).

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how much you are willing to suspend disbelief and how convincing the writer is. The writing has to be good but you also have to be open to not viewing it as trite before you start reading.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things I like about writing for children is that they don't know the cliches yet. This doesn't mean you can just write the most hackneyed cliche thing for them, but it may mean you can be the standard they hold that trope to later on. The editors and agents know all the tropes and cliches after all.

RCtheBanditQueen

Registered
Reaction score
One of the things I like about writing for children is that they don't know the cliches yet. This doesn't mean you can just write the most hackneyed cliche thing for them, but it may mean you can be the standard they hold that trope to later on. The editors and agents know all the tropes and cliches after all.

I like that thought. Makes me wish I was good at writing children's lit. :p But ah well, I have fun writing the stuff I write.

I guess there is a lot of gray area for individual perspective on such a question. It is nice to hear all the different opinions.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Excellent writing can rescue many a clichéd plot. But a lot depends on how well the writer knows their audience. There are trends in clichés - an idea that was perfectly allowable once may be insufferably boring now.

Some clichés are actually a positive - the romantic happy ending, the explorer finding the lost treasure, the detective solving the crime. The in joke in apocalypse fiction about tins of peaches.

The astute writer gets to know his or her audience. Read the same stuff that they read. Watch the same films. Play the same computer games. Or at the very least be aware that they exist.

That will tell you what is hot and what is not. And that in turn tells you which elements are fundamental and which are eye-rolls.

There are no hard and fast rules because fashions change. The thing that should remain constant is the importance of understanding the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.