• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Writing 911 or spelling out nine-one-one in narrative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diana86

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianaurban.com
Hello! Silly question. When a character dials 911, should I write "911" or spell out "nine-one-one" in the narrative? This isn't dialogue.

For example:

"I whipped out my cell phone and dialed 911."

OR

"I whipped out my cell phone and dialed nine-one-one."

Thanks in advance!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'd say "911." Even three numbers, it's a phone number, which I've never seen written out in any form. Plus, it's instantly recognizable in numeric form. It takes a second to make the connection when you have to read out each number individually. Most people would probably wonder why you didn't just write it "911."

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Don't spell it out.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't agree, Susan. I spell out only words ten and under, although some style sheets go to twelve.

She decided to call 911. "Hey, I'm going to call 911," she said.

Doesn't "Hey, I'm going to call nine one one" or "Hey, I'm going to call nine hundred eleven" look wrong?

I might touch base with my editor to see if they want hyphenation between the digits, since I've seen it that way in print.

Maryn, who checked to see if it's in her publisher's preferred dictionary (it's not)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If it's in dialogue, spell it out. No one ever has, or ever will, say 911. It's impossible. This is precisely why we have words to represent numerals. If we could say numbers, we wouldn't need the words.

In narrative, you can use 911, unless you're writing in first person, which is all dialogue.

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
I've always read that under 3-digits should not be spelled out (911, 5,000) whereas 2-digits should be spelled (ten, fifteen, ninety-nine). But, I'm sure there is flexibility based on preference and maybe context. (For example 1,000,000 versus a million; 1,023,399 versus one million twenty three thousand two hundred and ninety nine)

911 is so familiar it's hard to write out nine-one-one and still get the same impact when reading it.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
In transcripts don't they usually transcribe it as "911(or 9-1-1), what is your emergency?" anyway?

Lady Esther

I can say the alphabet backwards!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that if it's in dialogue it should be spelled out. That lets the reader know the way the speaker is saying it.

Otherwise, I'd put 9-1-1.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Silly question. When a character dials 911, should I write "911" or spell out "nine-one-one" in the narrative? This isn't dialogue.
I'd go with 911 (assuming this is in the US). To me, spelling it out makes it harder for the reader to read, similar to "I looked up my service provider and called their oh eight hundred number".

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Another vote for 911. Or 999.

It's a telephone number. I wouldn't spell out a ten digit telephone number in words so why would I spell out a three digit telephone number?

The Ray Bradbury classic is Fahrenheit 451. Not Fahrenheit Four Five One. Admittedly, there is also "Nineteen Eighty Four" which is sometimes referred to as "1984". But "2001" is never "two thousand and one".

Mind you, the one that has always puzzled me is the Porsche 911. Is that a "nine eleven" or a "nine one one"?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
We don't normally convert years to words in dialogue. Why would a common and iconic number like 911 be any different?

Although ultimately this will be the publisher's decision, I should imagine. House style and all that.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I think that if there was a problem with using either, it wouldn't be a big enough issue for your MS to be rejected and so an editor or agent would just ask you to change it later.
So it probably doesn't really matter which you use. My vote is for 911 in numerical form, though.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
.. unless if it's a kid protag, perhaps.

"If you don't quit pestering me to eat my veggies I will call NINE ONE ONE!"

spelled out partly for emphasis too

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
If I was reading and I came across it spelled out, I'd be distracted momentarily, roll my eyes and move on.

jmichaelfavreau

Smells like bacon
Registered
Reaction score
911 is essentially a brand name now, everyone knows what 911 is, but may get confused if you say nine-one-one.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Chicago Manual of Style says in nontechnical contexts, use numerals for numbers over one hundred, allowing for exceptions such as starting a sentence or round numbers.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the peoples who said it's a phone number (and those aren't spelled out) and that it is iconic. I too would stumbled over it spelled out.

But I do like the suggestion for 9-1-1 that way there is no confusion by the reader if you mean nine one one, nine hundred one, or nine eleven. I mean you never know.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
We don't normally convert years to words in dialogue. Why would a common and iconic number like 911 be any different?

Although ultimately this will be the publisher's decision, I should imagine. House style and all that.

Sure you do. I don't think I've never seen a year not spelled out in dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.