• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Where to put maps and diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huntforkomodocracker.wixsite.com
I would like to add two maps and diagrams in my novel. It’s a Sci-Fi by the way. I was thinking of putting the two maps at the beginning of the book just before the first chapter. I also have two technical diagrams and a seal that needs to be analysed. I’m not sure yet but there might be more.

Where do you think maps and diagrams should be placed in a Sci-Fi novel so that they can be used and not simply looked at one and then forgotten?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Usually, maps will go at the beginning. Other extras might work better in an appendix. That way, the reader knows where they are if they want to reference them during the novel.

I have also seen maps at section/part breaks, or at the starts of chapters, especially if the action's moving somewhere new or somewhere specific enough to warrant a map. Some books also slip illustrations in at chapter breaks. Once in a while, I've seen authors slip diagrams in-line with the text, but there has to be a very good reason to interrupt the flow of words. Why is it important that the reader visually examine this seal along with the characters, rather than relying on words to paint the image for me? (I once read a MG series that had a number of visual puzzles; the reader could help solve them by seeing them along with the characters. I've also seen diagrams slipped in to help show what the characters are talking about. So I can see where there might be reasons.)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How would the reader use them? Maps, such as those of Middle Earth in Tolkein's works, might get referred to by a reader and could be anywhere. Not sure about a reader analyzing a seal, unless it's a reader-involved game book.

Anywhere works, but keep in mind the limits of printing if they need to be in color. Your editor may move them anyway.

Jeff

Lhowling

Mischief Witch
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the fantasy novels I've read put maps, charts of lineage for specific tribes or kingdoms, and pronunciations for certain phrases up front. Longer bits of details, such as passages from a sacred text mentioned within the book, make their way to the appendix, although I haven't seen this as often in fiction as I do in non-fiction.

As a reader I like looking at everything upfront first because it prepares me for what I'm about to read. Plus, putting it in the back is annoying -- imagining flipping through 200 pages or more of text just to remind yourself where certain places are in relation to others. Then you have to flip all the way back to where you were in the story. If it's in the front of your book, a reader can look at it, get to understand it, and then go straight into the book with some awareness of what's going on.

An exception to such an annoyance are .mobi files for kindle, as they provide links and an easy button that returns you to the most recently read section of the book. But, in other formats, I'm not too sure if it's that convenient.

Last edited:

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
Usually maps are placed at the beginning or the end of a story. However, there are ways of being more creative with where you place maps. If you're interesting in making more maps, diagrams, or illustrations, you could start or end a chapter with those.

Another possibility is to introduce a map at the same time it is received by the character. That could help to place the map more in the present and make it truly a part of the story.

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
I've mostly seen maps at the beginning. I prefer them there, especially if your story involves a lot of traveling and it's important to know where the characters are at various times.

It seems like diagrams and other items that pertain to a specific chapter should be in the chapter they belong with. You could also have a bunch of that kind of thing in the back of the book. I'm wary of having too much stuff up front for the reader to flip through without any context. Maps are one thing, and maybe a character list or brief glossary, but anything else is a little overwhelming when the reader hasn't even met the main characters yet. (And I'm saying this as someone who absolutely loves appendixes full of supporting details ... but not until I've read the book so they are meaningful!)

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I like them up front, where they are easy to find. As a writer, I put them up front, where they are easy to find. :)

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
My first published story had a little map in it. It was inserted in a break in the text (where the MC mentions it.) So there it is, right where it belongs.

That's the way I wrote it, and that's the way the publisher published it.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If the map or diagram is meant mostly for the reader to refer to, it belongs at the beginning (where it's customary, and easy to find).

If the map or diagram is included mainly because it's an active plot point that's only directly referenced at a particular point in the story, put it very close to where it's used.

If it's both a general-reference map/diagram AND a plot point, the default position is at the beginning. Depending on a lot of factors, it may be reproduced (completely, or just the relevant bits) where it's referenced in the text, or maybe not.

K.S. Crooks

Registered
Reaction score
Maps the deal with an entire world or realm in which the story takes place I like to have at the beginning. Maps or diagrams that are about a specific region within the world I like to place directly before it is mentioned in the text. So I would place the diagram of a castle's layout directly before the text in which they enter the castle. I like books where you can visually follow along the journey when the characters are in complex places. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.