• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Midwest Circulations LLC

NiaR

Bibliophile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
niaraie.livejournal.com
Anybody ever heard of or dealt with a company called Midwest Circulations LLC that sells magazines? if so what was your experience with them?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the name of the organization, but one of our nephews had a horrific experience with a business which recruited clean-cut young men to sell magazines, and if you didn't make your day's quota, bad stuff happened. He literally ran away, evading the boss when he came to pick the crew up, and called his parents to come and get him six hundred miles from home. He was quite humiliated at having to do it, since he was not some green kid but 21 or 22 at the time.

My sister (his mom) told us she's learned since then that this is a fairly common business practice resulting in near-slavery, since the sellers do not have enough money to eat, rent a room, or get home.

If what you're checking out is a business which employs people to sell magazines, proceed with great caution.

Maryn, the voice of doom

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Is it's http://www.midwestcirculationllc.com/ Google turns up multiple complaints. I can't verify them, but it's enough to make me leery of dealing with them.

I don't recall if it was this exact company or not, but a year or so ago I was approached by a young man in his twenties lurking in my complex parking lot as I got out of my car. He was just one of multiple sellers they had, I'm sure, but I got a very bad vibe from him.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
One of those guys showed up on my doorstep the other night. "I live right here in your neighborhood!" Uh, I don't think so. The ones that do can tell me right where they live, where they go to school (or recently graduated from) and name several of their teachers.

(Well, he was selling magazines. I don't know if it was the same outfit.) Showed up right at dusk and stood just outside of the pool of light from the porch light. They make like they're trying to gain your trust, but if I can't get a good look at 'em, I get really antsy.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of them scammed my husband back at the beginning of the summer. Had this story about being a student at the local uni, trying to raise money for a trip to London to have a tour of the facilities at BBC. Hubby kept telling him we didn't want any magazines. Finally gave him like $5 for his trip. I wasn't home or I would have prevented that. Told him he got scammed, and to never engage with these people at the door. And hubby is no dummy, he used to work in law enforcement for dog's sake. But the kid was the right age for a uni student, clean cut, neatly dressed, and a plausible (at least to hubby) line of bull.

My Mom used to have a placard next to the doorbell:

No soliciting
No sales persons
No church representatives

MM