Rejectomancy

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Condolences to all, except defcon, who gets Lillie's AWOL sheepz.

24-day R from Unstuck for a story I love but know will be a hard sell. It's my most-rejected story at 7 Rs, but it does involve difficult subject matter.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck to you, Deadlight! Fingers and toes crossed. I see myself trunking this one in a year or so, even though it's probably my 3rd-favorite story.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
25 day personal from an associate editor at Shimmer. Liked the story, voice, and characters, but didn't think it was 'shimmery' enough. Fair enough, and out it goes to One Buck Horror once I trim a few words :D

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
I swear, I am rejected by not being rejected. No sooner do I send something in, but the pub stops sending out either Rs or As, to anyone. I am an albatross.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
I've received 7 rejections since last Monday (technically, some of them were e-mailed that Sunday night). Two stories were rejected twice each in the space of the last week.

This is a wee bit disheartening.

I am also, simultaneously, experiencing the albatross effect that you reference, Meret. With other stories, of course.

I'm not sure which I like less.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
And another this morning (Nanoism, 6 days).

I'm gonna go ahead and declare this a rejectolanche. ;)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Be proud, Brynn! It's a good thing to put your storys (and yourself!) through the grinder- it means your stories are actually out there in the world instead of just sitting on your hard drive.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sai. You're right. And I am starting to be proud. Besides, while each individual rejection stings a bit, the piling-up of them is a little comical. Plus, this way when I go on to regular publication (and/or wild acclaim) I'll feel as if I've earned it. :tongue

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
20-day form rejection from Flash Fiction Online. I have sent them so many stories and I can't get past the form R. I didn't think this market would be as hard as it is.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch to all the Rs!

I didn't think this market would be as hard as it is.

Can I ask why you didn't think it would be so hard? (I've never subbed, just read Brynn's amazing story there, but the stats are pretty intimidating)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I thought I was good. LOL. But really, I have sent them like 20 stories. I am so persistent about submitting stuff that I thought it would pay off. Maybe it will eventually, but right now it doesn't seem to be happening for me.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I think they remember you, the question is - good or bad? I know I hit the point with some editors that every one was/has been a personal from them, so I figured I was on some list. But I can't imagine sending twenty to the same market so fast!

There is definately something to be said for persistence, but people like to see growth. Will send you twenty cartoon band-aids for the R pains. and onward!

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
FFO uses a blind reading process and asks that authors remove personal information from the submitted documents, so I doubt that sending them multiple stories will either help or hurt your chances. I know that I still receive form R's from them. In fact, I got another one today!

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the R's everyone - especially rejectionalanches - I can relate, though if commiseration helps.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
26 days from Unstuck. No love for egrets! I probably have a ton more rejections to post, but I haven't had the energy or resolve to look at my "writing" email inbox yet. :p

Update: Not as bad as I expected. 4-day R from Clarkesworld and a 16-day from Strange Horizons.

Last edited:

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
18-day R from ASIM on a story that's looking like it will be hard to place. Interesting comments from the reader, though.

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
Been a while since I popped onto this forum. Took a bit of a writing hiatus to deal with life stuff.

But...could use some commiseration and camaraderie now that I'm back. :)

18-day form R from DSF. Forgot that submitting feels exactly like struggling to fit in with the cool kids in high school. Bleh.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Got one from a college's 'literary review' that got my name so incredibly wrong, sigh.