Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Chewed up and spat out at ASIM. I've just come to realize--perhaps far later than most--that the more you like a story the more it stings. And the better you get the more you like a story. What exactly flawed personality types do we have where we subject ourselves to this intentional torture?

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
What exactly flawed personality types do we have where we subject ourselves to this intentional torture?

Ha ha, marzioli, I have wondered that over the years; cursed with the quality of persistence. I've only come to writing in the last year, but the question still occurs to me, based on persistence in other things which I later regretted.

Some of us just aren't happy unless we are creating though, so I guess its the act itself that keeps us going. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
*hugs for everyone* :e2grouphu

What exactly flawed personality types do we have where we subject ourselves to this intentional torture?
I don't think of it as torture, because a lot of learning from life comes from our failures -- in fact, I'd say we learn more from our failures than from our successes.

The biggest thing to remember is that editors have their unique tastes too, and they publish what they like; sometimes what they like isn't the same thing that you like. But that's okay, because there's bound to be an editor who shares similar interests with you. ;)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, ((((hugs)))) for everyone from me too.

I don't think of it as torture either.
If it was I wouldn't do it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I ended up sending something to "Nine" last night. Got a personal R this afternoon with an encouragement to send more stuff (though I think I should still wait a week to submit again, as that's what it says in their guidelines).

Still no idea who they are. The R was signed "The Editors"

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, sure, I like the fact that rejections lead to further development of stories and talent, but I'd prefer it if I was at the top of the game already. :D And I definitely agree with you fihr. I'm driven on by the creative impulse, ramifications be damned. It's obviously fun, too, but I compare the process to love. If I don't hurt some when they tell you they don't like it, I probably wasn't properly invested.

Also, sorry about the R, Alex. :(

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
I have a stupid question which might make you all roll your eyes and never speak to me again (sigh), BUT.... Ok, I know if you post something on a blog (even in the comments section) you lose first rights and some places won't take it (say Every Day Fiction). What if you take that story and add things to it (over 200 words). It has the basic story, but it has more details? Can it be submitted somewhere else (like EDF) that require first rights?

*hangs her head in shame*

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I have a stupid question which might make you all roll your eyes and never speak to me again (sigh), BUT.... Ok, I know if you post something on a blog (even in the comments section) you lose first rights and some places won't take it (say Every Day Fiction). What if you take that story and add things to it (over 200 words). It has the basic story, but it has more details? Can it be submitted somewhere else (like EDF) that require first rights?

*hangs her head in shame*
No shame in asking. I actually asked a similar question here. Basically, just be upfront to the editor and tell them that this story was once published on your blog (hopefully you took it down), and then let them decide if they still want it or not.

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks :) I clicked on your thread. It make sense. I probably won't try to send it to EDF for 'moral' issues, but I know a site that will take 'previously published' if you tell them about it, so I'll go that way.

Live and learn :)

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Just got a rejection from Lightspeed for a piece I sent to them yesterday. Their site did say that they usually try to get things back after a few days, so I'm not taking it as a sign that it evoked instant revulsion, but still. I don't even have the next market decided on yet!
I guess their name is pretty appropriate.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Their name is very appropriate. I've had stuff back from them the same day I sent it.

I don't take it personally, I just send it back out.

Have you checked their stats on duotrope? You'll see how quick they are.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
"..so I'm not taking it as a sign that it evoked instant revulsion, but still." - TaylorV

Commiserations - and definitely don't read revulsion into it (unless you think its revolting in some way). I've had 90 day final round and two day rejections for the same story, and compliments, and form rejections. Can't read anything into any of it, except where they supply specific comments. (Which are always helpful - I've biased my submissions to places that do give a line or two of feedback where possible, since I'm hoping to learn from them. After having had them critted here and elsewhere too, before sending them out.)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally getting responses! All Rs, unfortunately. I think I've gotten 4/4 responses in 2012 being Rs? So not a good start to the year.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely have a talent for Crickets of Obscene Longevity. Sigh.

Three pieces out. Max time at duotrope on one (over 4x avg response), 3x avg on the second, and not quite 2x avg on the third. I hate querying, but it might be time to send out a couple.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I'm all crickets too. But not obscenely long yet, just annoying. Waiting for response from Apex, Goldfish Grimm's, Stupefying Stories and Every Day Fiction. The rest are still too far out to contemplate a response yet. :p

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
A lot of my stuff right now is out at places that won't get back to me for a few months yet, like The James White Award, Writers of the Future, and Woman's World, so I'm trying not to think about those stories too much. I need to write more stuff!