The Walking Dead - AMC

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
It is nice to know that even after the start of the apocalypse, there are still people willing to have someone drop in for dinner.

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, those last few minutes with Bob were disturbing, even though I knew *spoilers*cannibals. And I also noticed that the man Tyrese supposedly killed was with Gareth and his group END SPOILERS

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay...Just popping in here to say Hi! Hubs and I finally caught up on Netflix, and just in time to start in yesterday. We watched the premier right before the new episode came on.

This show amazes me. It can go from being so gross that I have to turn my head to making me cry. My husband teases me for that bit. But, for example, when Rick was reunited with Judith.. when Carol was reunited with Darryl...

I'm so excited to be caught up now so I can talk to all of you as well as my friends at work that watch this show! :) My husband enjoys it but doesn't understand the need to have a deep discussion about the events because it's "Just a TV show." LOL

Last edited:

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Robert Kirkman, who writes the comics, wrote this latest episode. I really like what he's done/where the storyline is going. (Spoiler: Of course Bob has to go; he and Sasha are officially happy, so one of them's gotta die. If it follows the comic, then next week, count on Bob's look of horror morphing into one of laughter.)

Overall, terrific episode. Although I sort of wonder about them all swimming in rotting Walker goop to get the canned goods. Seriously, people: is no one worried about disease?

James simpson

Registered
Reaction score
I love the season so far. The opening was brilliant and the second episode has followed it up really well, but I was disappointed with the ending. I was expecting Bob to start cackling about the 'tainted meat' they were eating and pull his shirt open to reveal a bite. They must be saving it for the next episode. It looks like this season is going to draw heavily from the comics. I love it. The question is will they take Carls eye or not?

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
It was a great episode. A few points.

1) They really couldn't come up with a better way to get the food than go walker dipping? They didn't even try and kill 'em from above.

2) Where was Carol going? Was she planning on leaving?

3) I guess that the group will wonder if Daryl, Carol and Bob are all together.

4) I'm assuming Bob got bit. But you would have thought he would have left a not before hand.

Anyway, time to make dinner. We're having foot long Ka Bob's.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so... eating people is one thing. It's the end of the world, stuff happens, I get it. But relishing the meat from someone's leg IN FRONT OF THAT PERSON??

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Those dudes are messed up.

The Bob thing confuses me in one respect - shouldn't he have been showing signs of fever by then if he'd been bitten? Some episodes it happens within minutes, others they seem to have a day or two to get their affairs in order... *scratches head*

However, I'm totally cool with it if Bob single-leggedly took out the cannibals with zombie-meat. Although I'm sure they'll inflict a lot of damage before they go down.

Is it bad that I like Gabriel? I get that he probably hoarded all the food for himself and refused to let people into the church, but somehow I like him anyway. This show is so full of hard-as-rock characters, it's kind of refreshing to see someone who's a total chicken.

I would not have gone into that water, no matter how hungry I was. Did they at least take some extra clothes with them? Because I doubt they got a chance to launder their only change of clothing after that incident, and the thought of that grosses me out more than any of the zombie-head-squishing and people-eating and guts-wearing that this show can dish out... combined.

Can I please just climb into my TV and carry Judith to safety? CONSTANT FEAR over that child, seriously. Was it an ad-lib, do you think, when Rick went to speak and Judith squawked and everybody laughed and Rick was like "She knew what I was going to say! If she's in, I'm in!" Because it was insanely adorable, and I don't know how they could have scripted that. :D

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
It was a great episode. A few points.

2) Where was Carol going? Was she planning on leaving?

Anyway, time to make dinner. We're having foot long Ka Bob's.

Ew. :p

As for your second question... I get the impression that Carol doesn't want to go to Washington. She was banished to the streets, and she seemed cool with that. I don't think she could survive in "civilization" anymore, and she seems cool with that, too. She'd rather be scrapping it out alone in the wilderness, but hey, if Daryl wants to come along, I don't think she'd mind.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Do you think Carol and Tyrese were going to boil the water they were bottling from the stream? Ugh. Can you say 'dysentery'? Haven't they ever seen 'Naked and Afraid'?

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think Carol and Tyrese were going to boil the water they were bottling from the stream? Ugh. Can you say 'dysentery'? Haven't they ever seen 'Naked and Afraid'?

Ugh, the water in that scene distracted me from the dialogue, it looked so bad. All I could think through the whole scene was "Please don't drink that, please don't drink that, I would rather die than drink that..." So... hopefully yes.

Now that I think about it, contaminated food and water was kind of the theme of this episode.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
So...who's the other guy who was all dressed up in gear and tracking them at the end of the premier?

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
So...who's the other guy who was all dressed up in gear and tracking them at the end of the premier?

That was Morgan, who helped Rick in season one and told him what the walkers were and all that. Then he appeared again in season four.

As for the water--on Talking Dead, they mentioned that as well. I believe Chris was the one who said "Aren't they worried about staff infections!" :)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I made such a weird noise when they ate Bob's leg that the person next to me asked if I was all right. :tongue

<spoilers>Glad I'm not the only one who thought he got bit and is confused about him not showing signs. Maybe it's because he's in really good physical health--not wounded or sick like most of the ones who get nommed.

Is anyone else wondering if Beth was snatched to be a replacement Blondie? She's about the right height and hair color for Food Bank Walker.

Carol trying to run out had me going "Nooooooo." She's too badass to leave.
</spoilers>

Five days until the next one. Six until I can watch it.

*twitches*

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Anyone else hear the theory that Rick is actually a thinking/not rotting walker? That he actually died when he was in the coma and his IV dried up -- and then resurrected? Being in the coma did something to mutate the walker infection so that Rick was able to retain his cognitive abilities and his personality, and not rot? How else can it be explained that he woke up 2 months after the walker apocalypse occurred, well after his IV dried up?

Things that make you go hmmm...

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
As for Bob being bitten, he might not show signs. In season 1, Andrea's sister went 12 hours or so before she turned. She was down and sick, but she was also bitten in the neck. A bite to the leg would hurt like hell, but it would be bearable until the infection started. And in season 1 they said (was it the scientist who blew himself up?) that said it could take a day (it took that long with his wife). Kind of a convenience, yes, but they have covered it.

And that scene with Gareth was amazing. I screamed so loud. My theory is that maybe they were trying to freak out Rick. Maybe they're going to let Bob go back to Rick and show what Gareth did.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Well, Amy (Andrea's sister) died fairly quickly, from blood loss when a walker bit a big chunk out of her neck; she didn't die of the illness brought on by a nonfatal bite.

(And now, of course, we know that -- as in the George Romero movies -- anybody who dies for any reason will rise. Though it's not clear whether that was the case from the start of the crisis.)

The time before dead people rise seems extremely variable. As noted, Amy took hours, whereas Shane and Milton were both up and around within minutes.

We haven't seen many people go through the whole process of being bitten, coming down sick, and eventually dying. Jim, back in the first season; but since then most deaths have been abrupt and violent. Presumably it'll vary among different people, as to how long it takes for them to become ill and feverish.

There are a lot of unanswered questions about the whole thing -- which will probably remain unanswered, since the whole thing's pretty silly if you think about it too much. Why do people get infected from bites, but not from having walker blood and guts all over them, or punching a walker's head in with their bare fists? Where does the walkers' chemical energy come from? (They can't possibly be digesting food; that requires blood circulation, functioning organs, assimilation of nutrients -- in other words, being alive.)

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
In the game, Lee was fine for quite a while after he was bitten.

One can safely assume there's a varying length of incubation for symptoms of a bite, just as the rising after death has a variation of a few minutes up to eight hours according to the CDC guy in S1.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Why do people get infected from bites, but not from having walker blood and guts all over them, or punching a walker's head in with their bare fists?

Maybe the infection is blood poisoning from the walkers' rotting teeth? :p

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maybe the infection is blood poisoning from the walkers' rotting teeth? :p
Well, granted, even with an ordinary corpse in the real world, you wouldn't want to get cut by its teeth. But if it were an ordinary infection, there'd be survivors; not even rabies or tetanus have a 100% fatality rate.

This stuff doesn't bear much examination. But I enjoyed the recent book The Zombie Autopsies, by Steven Schlozman, MD. (Though he fudges a bit by having the "zombies" be technically still living, but in a radically altered state.)

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I thought that fairly early on one of the show creators had said that what kills them is the infection of being bitten by a mouth full of rotten bacteria, not that it was a virus being transmitted by the bite. I've thought since season one that if you could get a good set of antibiotics into someone, they might have a chance. I think it's similar to being bitten by a komodo dragon. It probably is survivable, but they don't really have the equipment or medical facilities (or knowledge) to make that happen.

I'm really intrigued by Gabriel. I do kind of like him, though I wonder if he has a deep dark side. Having just barricaded himself inside makes him a coward, which is interesting, imo. I was concerned at first that he might have Beth locked in a secret room in the basement, but now that it looks pretty certain that he doesn't, I'm liking him more as a character. He's not at all what I expected and it's an interesting change of pace.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I thought that fairly early on one of the show creators had said that what kills them is the infection of being bitten by a mouth full of rotten bacteria, not that it was a virus being transmitted by the bite. I've thought since season one that if you could get a good set of antibiotics into someone, they might have a chance. I think it's similar to being bitten by a komodo dragon. It probably is survivable, but they don't really have the equipment or medical facilities (or knowledge) to make that happen.

I'm really intrigued by Gabriel. I do kind of like him, though I wonder if he has a deep dark side. Having just barricaded himself inside makes him a coward, which is interesting, imo. I was concerned at first that he might have Beth locked in a secret room in the basement, but now that it looks pretty certain that he doesn't, I'm liking him more as a character. He's not at all what I expected and it's an interesting change of pace.

Just so you know, Komodo Dragons are actually venomous, it's not an effect of just bacteria-laden saliva.

That being said, I don't understand the big deal about Bob being "tainted meat". After all, they've already established that everyone is a carrier of the zombie virus now, as you said death from bite is probably more an issue of infection, combined with a weakened immune system. Is there anything in the story about the effects of eating the dead flesh? Or is it just more likely working off the idea that very few people are actually aware that they're all already infected.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I thought that fairly early on one of the show creators had said that what kills them is the infection of being bitten by a mouth full of rotten bacteria, not that it was a virus being transmitted by the bite.
Nah, that's not plausible. If it were just ordinary bacteria, there'd be plenty of survivors of bites.

So far, we know the mysterious agent that makes dead people walk around is present in everybody; and it's something identifiable, since the late Dr. Jenner at the CDC was able to detect it (either directly or by some associated marker) in a blood test. So we might as well call it a virus.

Presumably it lies dormant in the body somewhere, not doing anything as long as you're alive. (Come to think of it, it'd have to be present in the brainstem; otherwise it'd have no way to get there once the person expires.) But if introduced directly into the bloodstream by a walker bite, it causes a swiftly-lethal systemic infection.

Anyway ... last night's show. Pretty satisfying ending for Gareth. D-bag.

It baffled me, though, that Maggie would leave with Abraham's group, not knowing the fate of her sister Beth. Has she given up on her? (And, will the show be following both groups?)

Wonder if we'll be seeing Morgan again soon.

From the preview, it looks like next week's episode takes us back to Atlanta.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Just so you know, Komodo Dragons are actually venomous, it's not an effect of just bacteria-laden saliva.

Actually, it's both. Komodo's are venomous, but they also carry multiple strains of bacteria. (Not surprising given their diet and environment.) Depending on the prey in question, and how resilient it may or may not be to the venom, it can die from the secondary infection.

My guess would be that the first, or even first few, sets of prey-remains that were discovered while studying the remains succumbed to bacterial death, rather than venomous. Or, the carcases had so much bacteria in them from the attack that it was an assumed preliminary cause of death that was later disproved, but overlooked by mass media.