The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Awesome!

The submission quantity goal has been really helpful in dealing with rejection for me. It still stings, but now it's a lot more about "OK I get to send this out again."

Wow, that's a great idea. I'm stealing it! I think I'm only in the 30s so far, if that, but I haven't been keeping track of the total.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's a great idea. I'm stealing it! I think I'm only in the 30s so far, if that, but I haven't been keeping track of the total.

Be sure to set yourself a goal that's relatively high but not unrealistic. That way you're pushed to submit more (which is the point) but not to submit stupidly (i.e. send to worse markets or some such just to hit the goal).

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Regarding submission points - the system I use is 1 point for a rejection and 5 points for a personal rejection, which meant there is a real advantage to researching the markets and sending the story to the right place.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
As far as submissions this year, I'm at an even fifty. I'm pretty pleased because that's pretty much the total amount that I sent out last year, so I know I'm getting better. 200 seems like a manageable goal for 2012.

hey, I have a 250 word non-speculative horror piece and I have run out of markets. Any suggestions?

Hmm, it gets tough with a story that short. I think even FFO has a 500 word minimum word count. If I think of a place I'll let you know.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Just wanted to ask for some thoughts from you guys. I've had a story at Stupefying Stories for 102 days now. Looking on Duotrope, this just doesn't seem the norm. Should I query for the status? I hate to bug, but I also hate wondering if my sub or even the response has gotten lost.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask for some thoughts from you guys. I've had a story at Stupefying Stories for 102 days now.

I would drop Bruce an email. He is really, really nice and very good at dealing with follow ups. I think they have changed their system recently and yours may have gotten mixed up in that.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seconded. Its perfectly reasonable to query at this point. I'm seeing some 100-odd day responses on Duotrope though, so it's likely that your story is in the final round of consideration.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Sent out two knew stories today. I don't even know how many that makes it, but I think I have a lot out there. So when will I get a yes??? I don't even know how I feel about any of my stories anymore. I told myself I would give it a year doing the weekly challenge. I didn't think it was going to be this hard to sell stories when I started out.

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Sent out two knew stories today. I don't even know how many that makes it, but I think I have a lot out there. So when will I get a yes??? I don't even know how I feel about any of my stories anymore. I told myself I would give it a year doing the weekly challenge. I didn't think it was going to be this hard to sell stories when I started out.
I sort of feel the same way sometimes. We have some great writers here but even they are getting constantly rejected...what hope do the rest of us have? (Not that I'm saying you're not a great writer, it was a rhetorical "us")

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com

I was starting to feel the same way. I started writing shorts in late November. This week I got my first acceptance.

Just hang in there! Keep writing, keep subbing. You'll get there.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I sort of feel the same way sometimes. We have some great writers here but even they are getting constantly rejected...what hope do the rest of us have? (Not that I'm saying you're not a great writer, it was a rhetorical "us")

Well, yeah, but you'll get better as you go along, and the rejections will become less of a given. 99% of making it as a writer is not giving up.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread over in the SF/F board I thought I'd point out to folks here, about the Viable Paradise writer's workshop. It covers both short fiction and novels, and I went, and probably wouldn't be a writer now if I hadn't. So anyway, just in case anyone was looking for a workshop, go take a peek. Deadline to apply is fairly soon.

Happy to answer questions about my experience if anyone has any, just PM me. There are a lot of other VP alum here on AW as well, including from much more recent years.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I applied last year, and was rejected but with an invitation to apply again next year. I think it was Suzanne who told me this wasn't a standard form or anything (which is something I was suspicious of, since there's an application fee). I will likely apply one more time if my schedule permits it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back from BaltiCon and it was full of awesome!

Got my hands on the very first *physical book* one of my stories is in. Got to sign close to 100 copies of that anthology. Got to do a live reading from my story (and it didn't suck as much as I feared it would), got to meet LOTS of really awesome people, both established writers and new ones.

I definitely need to go to more cons. PhilCon sounds like a near certainty in November... but maybe something sooner :)

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
I applied last year, and was rejected but with an invitation to apply again next year. I think it was Suzanne who told me this wasn't a standard form or anything (which is something I was suspicious of, since there's an application fee). I will likely apply one more time if my schedule permits it.

I got one of those, Alex and suspected the same thing. Thanks for sharing the info, I'm feel less like a hack and a little more hopeful. I'm finalizing my app by tomorrow and sending it off. would be cool to meet you there (depending on luck of course). ;)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Edited In the Cool of the Day (which has been sitting around for a month or so) and subbed it to Abyss & Apex. Also submitted The Weather's Always Fine in Paradise to Asimov's.

I have a few that are in end stages of revision, but lack of writing time has put all sorts of kinks in my plans to get them out and making rounds. Ah, well. There's always June. :)

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that sucks.

International Reply Coupons are no longer available in the UK. I've been contemplating sending a WIP to F&Sf, but looks like that may be out unless I get some US stamps. What a pain in the backside.

Anyone know how F&SF are about this sort of thing? Can I query and explain IRCs are no longer available and ask to be contacted by email or will that earn me their neverending emnity?

And as for Royal Mail, :rant:

Ali

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I met by May W1S1 goal for the month :). Mailed out two stories today, an old one to F&SF and a mystery I wrote earlier this week to Woman's World. I'm trying to sub to F&SF more now that I had an American friend mail me some US stamps for SASEs.