Got Bacon?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I went to a small pre-Christmas get together this morning with some women from my swimming group and we all brought something to share, but the star of the show was "Slow Cooker Bacon Jam." Sounds odd but it was soooo delicious. It was served plain on crackers, but I think it would be heavenly with a small dab of blue cheese and perhaps a slice of pear. It is sweet, salty smokey and tangy - and so addictive. If anyone wants to add it to their Christmas repertoire or if you like to make food gifts, this is the one you will want to make. The recipe is from Martha Stewart and you can find it at this link.

http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-cooker-bacon-jam-492270

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
It really was good Stormie. I've got my canning supplies out because I was going to make marmalade but I may also have to make this as well.

I'm telling myself that sleep is overrated. :rolleyes:

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
At first I was ready to close this tab without clicking the recipe link. "Bacon jam" just sounded too... wrong. Thankfully I did click through and that looks amazing! The only thing left to decide is if we test this with store bacon, or if we use our homemade stuff for an even better flavor.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
At first I was ready to close this tab without clicking the recipe link. "Bacon jam" just sounded too... wrong. Thankfully I did click through and that looks amazing! The only thing left to decide is if we test this with store bacon, or if we use our homemade stuff for an even better flavor.

You won't be disappointed Harmony. The woman who brought it used store bought bacon and it was fabulous. If you do make it, let us know how you liked it.

Happy Holidays!

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I'll certainly let you know! Either way won't be till things settle down fter the new year, but that gives us time to make our own if we want.

Happy holidays to you, too!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I think that you won't miss the coffee Mr.Flibble because bacon has such an assertive flavour on it's own, but it was in the batch that I had and it was delicious.

How did yours turn out?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I clicked on the link. That photo was so unappetizing. Bacon jam... no thanks.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I brought some bacon jam when we went to a friend's house for Christmas dinner, and it was a big hit. Goes great with goat cheese and crackers. Or a nice sharp Vermont white cheddar.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I think that you won't miss the coffee Mr.Flibble because bacon has such an assertive flavour on it's own, but it was in the batch that I had and it was delicious.

How did yours turn out?

Little bit sweet but yummy

We can adjust sweetness next time :D

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Little bit sweet but yummy

We can adjust sweetness next time :D

I wonder if the coffee adds a hint of bitterness to hold back some of the sweetness? Anyway I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

PS Shadow Ferret, the name is a bit of a misnomer - it's not really jam it's more like a savoury spread or topping.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the coffee adds a hint of bitterness to hold back some of the sweetness? Anyway I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

PS Shadow Ferret, the name is a bit of a misnomer - it's not really jam it's more like a savoury spread or topping.

Made me think of a chutney more than anything.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
2 weeks until I can try it. We gave away too much bacon for the holidays and I won't be able to get more pork belly until Monday, at the soonest, and then we have to wait for the curing. But I can't wait, reading all these reviews!

And I really hate coffee, but I usually add it as an ingredient in things like this. It really rearranges and balances a lot of flavors while remaining in the background.