bacon poll: chewy or crispy?

How do you prefer your bacon?

• Total voters

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
Spreading the rashers out is OK but if you have company, just separate them from the chunk and lay them out in layers, changing orientation by 90 degrees with each layer, let them cook a while then sort of stir them every few minutes. you can get more than one 'type' of bacon if you want to by keeping some near the top while other crisp up below them.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
The way to properly make bacon is to lay thick strips on top of a bed of sandwich bread in an oven. Then, the outside is crispy but the inside remains tender. Plus, there's the added bonus of a mess of bacon-flavored toast...

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm pleased that so far no one has chosen the charred option favored by the folks in the Epicurious article.

I know a lot of people who like their bacon that way, and I've never understood it. Very crisp, I get. Charred, no. IMO, when it gets charred, it ceases to taste like bacon.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I know a lot of people who like their bacon that way, and I've never understood it. Very crisp, I get. Charred, no. IMO, when it gets charred, it ceases to taste like bacon.
My mother likes her bacon charred. It's disgusting and everyone else I know agrees that it's disgusting.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Once, for a brunch, I'd bought some wonderful (and rather expensive) thick-cut bacon. Knowing that many of friends preferred their bacon crispier than I do, I was careful to cook it in varying degrees of crispness to accommodate everyone's tastes.

Arrgh. A couple of my friends declared the "crisp" bacon (very crisp, no chew left at all) not done enough, and stuck it back in the oven to char. I wanted to cry.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
huh. I guess it's a compliment to the relationship that they felt comfortable enough doing that. My family and friends know they pretty much have the run of my kitchen, but they also know I have a cleaver and that I know how to use it. ;)

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pleased that so far no one has chosen the charred option favored by the folks in the Epicurious article.

Prolly from Texas. That's the same way they ruin a good rib-eye. I usually pull up a couple of large coals from down under for their plates.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
huh. I guess it's a compliment to the relationship that they felt comfortable enough doing that. My family and friends know they pretty much have the run of my kitchen, but they also know I have a cleaver and that I know how to use it. ;)

I might have to sharpen my cleaver.

If they'd tried to do it with all the bacon, I would have blocked the oven with my body. But I felt churlish stopping them from doing it with their shares, especially as there were a couple of them who liked it that way.

A couple of them also complain that I undersalt (whereas in my opinion, they drastically oversalt everything). I wince when they pour salt on my properly seasoned food, but as long as they stick to their own portion, I grieve silently but let them have their way.

And a couple of them have also been known to invite me to dinners at their place and "surprise" me by presenting me with the ingredients to something they'd like me to make for them. Once it was guacamole for a group of 30. I was wearing a white cashmere sweater and had brought both a dessert and a bottle of wine to the party. I hadn't planned to spend an hour chopping and mixing and getting green glop all over myself, and I pointed out that I'd given them my recipe long ago. "But you make it better!" they whined. I offered to give step-by-step directions and I set them to chopping and mixing while I supervised. They didn't pull that one again.

Yes, I think perhaps a couple of my friends are just a little too comfortable.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I might have to sharpen my cleaver.

If they'd tried to do it with all the bacon, I would have blocked the oven with my body. But I felt churlish stopping them from doing it with their shares, especially as there were a couple of them who liked it that way.

A couple of them also complain that I undersalt (whereas in my opinion, they drastically oversalt everything). I wince when they pour salt on my properly seasoned food, but as long as they stick to their own portion, I grieve silently but let them have their way.

And a couple of them have also been known to invite me to dinners at their place and "surprise" me by presenting me with the ingredients to something they'd like me to make for them. Once it was guacamole for a group of 30. I was wearing a white cashmere sweater and had brought both a dessert and a bottle of wine to the party. I hadn't planned to spend an hour chopping and mixing and getting green glop all over myself, and I pointed out that I'd given them my recipe long ago. "But you make it better!" they whined. I offered to give step-by-step directions and I set them to chopping and mixing while I supervised. They didn't pull that one again.

Yes, I think perhaps a couple of my friends are just a little too comfortable.

ROFL Yeah, it's kinda become a family joke that when we're invited for Thanksgiving or whatnot, I'll be the one doing the cooking. Started out once with the invitation, then when the travel plans were all made they called and asked for a list of the things I needed. Told me they had the turkey already in the freezer. Since then, it's been pretty much a no-brainer.

No one is ever really comfortable in the same room with me

goofball. :)

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Isn't anyone going to complain that I made this a public poll, in which everyone's bacon preferences are brazenly exposed to the world?

I'm not sure I've ever posted a poll where someone hasn't complained about that.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't anyone going to complain that I made this a public poll, in which everyone's bacon preferences are brazenly exposed to the world?

I'm not sure I've ever posted a poll where someone hasn't complained about that.

Nope. If anyone is ever of (an unsound) mind to cook bacon for me, I fully expect them to check here first. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I chose charred simply because crispy didn't define how I like it. I like it so crisp that it desintigrates if you're too heavy handed in picking it up. Where, if you pick it up at one end, the piece will snap in half from its own weight. Its technically not charred but every bit of moisture has been fried out of it.

But if it is burnt, no one else in the house will eat it, so its mine, all mine. And guess who is in charge of frying the bacon?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
ohh good gosh. i just wuv meh bacon
mmm, mmm bacon. gotta have somes
fryed in gweasey weasy with eggy weggies on teh side
ohh sooo yuuuummmmmmmmmmmy !!!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, it depends on if it's British-style back bacon, or American-style belly (aka streaky) bacon.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I agree they're quite different, but I like them both with chew.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com