Using Colloquy, Can't Send?

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Decided to check out AW chat tonight, and am having an issue. I first logged on sitting at my desk on the PC, but just lurked (no one seemed to be talking anyway). I forgot to quit when I got up and moved to the iPad, and when I logged into chat using The Colloquy app and tried to say hello, I'm getting a "can't send message to '--' because of some room restriction" popup.

I poked around some threads in here and the only thing I can think of is that I somehow got banned for being logged in at both my PC and my iPad at the same time? When I realized I was in there twice, I went and quit on the PC, but I still can't send messages in chat from my iPad.

If its not a clone ban issue, can anyone help me out with Colloquy?

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Bishop and welcome to chat.

Never fear, you're not banned! We give warnings before banning people, and we never ban people we've never even spoken to!

The first thing that I can think of (not having neither a iPad or Colloquy) is that you tried to log on when the chat was not open. Absolute Write is a moderated chat, meaning that when an operator is not available, the chat is locked down to chatter. People can still log on, and they can see who is logged in and send private messages, but no one without voice (they'll have a + by their name) or Ops (Those with an @ [the symbols might vary by chat client)) can chat in the main room.

Early in the mornings (for North America) and you might find some of the European ops on. Me, Pthom (Peter), and Shumeis are typically on during the 6 - 11ish pm range (for your time zone) during the week. Of course, sometimes we pop in at random times too.

For sure there's someone on at 9pm Sunday nights because that's when we have our weekly Flash Fiction challenge.

Let us know if you need further help!

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It's pretty easy to miss this in the FAQ about AW IRC Chat Channel sticky info thread at the top of the forum:
The room is open whenever there's an available Chat Op to moderate. Because of reported problems when the room isn't moderated, we no longer leave the room open when there's no available chat mod.

-Derek