Proposal for a list style book

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
So, I'm generally a fiction writer, and my other half writes list style articles for sites like Cracked and WhatCulture. Neither of us know anything about pitching non-fiction.

We're planning to write a book about a hundred people who made football (soccer) what it is today, from Henry VIII to Posh & Becks, from Charles Miller to Lily Parr, from the inventor of the leather ball to the inventor of the lawnmower. You get the gist. A hundred people, from the obvious to the obscure, who are significant to the game. A Hundred Faces in the History of Football (or something snappier). There's already "A History of Football in 100 objects", so there's obviously a market for list-histories in the genre.

(that was our first idea - we both love A History of the World in 100 Objects - but having been beaten to it this actually seems a better way of getting away from the straight white english male history of football and pulling out a wider variety of stories)

Since neither of us have done anything like this before, we're basically planning to write the book before sending our proposals (comfort zone!). It'll give us a chance to collate all the different references we need and more time to research agents/publishers etc.

(I have a minor concern that a publisher might demand we change some of the people, but that's a bridge we'd cross when we got to it anyway, and we're looking at 1k or less per person, so unless they wanted us to cut a large swathe of people it wouldn't be too hard to rewrite. Plus I'm pretty certain I'm being paranoid about that.)

Most of the proposal advice I've seen includes a list of chapters and a couple of paragraphs about each. If we did that for every person, that'd be nearly around 40,000 words - basically half the book! Is there a different format for proposing a book like this, or do we just have to adapt? One sentence per person, for example? I assume for sample chapters we'd send entries to an equivalent length; presumably a sample that represents the breadth of the book rather than just the first lot chronologically.

Equally, if it's a book with images that would need licensing, would we need to provide examples of the images we want to use, or leave that up to the publisher? I assume we wouldn't be expected to purchase the licenses ourselves in advance (since with the non-fic proposal model I'm not sure that would even make sense).

Edit: Also, if an agency takes both fiction and non-fiction, but only lists submission guidelines for fiction, is it probable the only non-fiction they're looking for is memoirs?

Reading back over this post, I feel like I'm assuming a lot, which is why making it is looking like a better and better idea.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You do need that TOC and chapter outline, but you'd be okay with a sentence or three per chapter for something like this.

If you have photos for the book, say so in the proposal. But it's not necessary to get them up front. The better the publisher, the more likely they are to provide them themselves.

You really can't generalize about what agents take. Check each agent website, querytracker listing, Agent Query listing, and aar-online listing (if applicable) for what they do or do not take. Agent blogs, interviews and listings for conferences are other good ways to learn what they really take.

Be sure to include a marketing section (who would read this book), a promotion section (how we can promote this book), and bio. Due to the way the book is structured, I'd include three listings for your sample chapter.

I hear you about writing the book first. That's what I did for both of my published works.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal