Whilhome ... make that Whilome = Once Upon a Time

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Not much of a topic for a thread. Just found it interesting there was once a word that stood for "Once Upon a Time." Classic start to a lot of fairy tales of yore. Figured I'd share the astounding discovery ;-)

A poem that starts off with the word for anyone interested:

http://www.poetrynook.com/poem/whilhome-provance-were-they-knew-same

(Kinda interesting that there is/was a word, period, that stood for 4 separate words. Are there other words that do likewise these days?)

Of course it is possible that whilhome came first and once upon a time arose from it when it was no longer in fashion.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Other than that poem have you found any references of that word? I just looked around for it, and the only results for it are this thread and that poem. Dictionary.com suggests a few other words instead, and the OED has no entry for that.

But there is whilom:
adjective 1. former; erstwhile: whilom friends.
adverb 2. at one time.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/whilom

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the website misspells it in the poem's title--in the first line it's 'whilome,' variant spelling of 'whilom.' Which, according to the OED, was used right up into the late 19th century, with various shades of meaning including 'while,' 'whiles,' 'formerly,' 'late,' 'at times,' 'once,' and, yes, 'once upon a time.'

Cool word!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a lovely word, and one I've encountered here and there.

Fairy tales have also started with less well known phrases meaning something on the order of "a different time" -- my favorite is "in the time that was and was not".

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Other than that poem have you found any references of that word? [/URL]

Lord Byron's poem, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage. Am reading it now. An explanatory note told of the meaning. (Norton Anthology.)

Whilome in Albion's isle there dwelt a youth,
Who ne in virtue's ways did take delight;
But spent his days in riot most uncouth,
And vexed with mirth the drowsy ear of Night.
Ah, me! in sooth he was a shameless wight,

Opps. Spelling. Got it wrong. Took it off the internet, instead of directly from the source. Sorry !

Whilome. Not Whilhome. (Will correct title.)

Right you are. Misspelling indeed ...

Yeah, the website misspells it in the poem's title--in the first line it's 'whilome,' variant spelling of 'whilom.' Which, according to the OED, was used right up into the late 19th century, with various shades of meaning including 'while,' 'whiles,' 'formerly,' 'late,' 'at times,' 'once,' and, yes, 'once upon a time.'

Cool word!

Yep. This is a really neat intro. Never yet encountered ...

"in the time that was and was not".

Last edited: