Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. You can't see it well but the flower has a ruffled edge. I was quite pleased with it. :)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Finished a tutorial for a class I'm teaching on beaded cabs for a class I'll be teaching this weekend. I think after I get some more photos, I'll put it up on my etsy page.

BTW if you want to take a peek at it let me know and I'll send you a copy.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Oh that sounds like fun.

I got some scrap pieces of the Shibori silk a few months ago. They've been sitting quietly up until now. Just like stories, the beads are whispering at me again.

Sometimes there are just NOT enough hours in the day.

I'll work on some abandoned loom work this weekend. Maybe that will satisfy the beads gods for a while.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! I can not believe that I've been on AW all these years and I've never noticed this forum before. (Someone slap me, I deserve it!):)

I'm an avid beader* and just blown away by the stunning pieces I'm seeing here. You are very talented people!

*Also trying my hand at patchwork at moment. :D

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to our little corner of insanity. (People keep telling me I'm insane for working with seed beads) :D

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to our little corner of insanity. (People keep telling me I'm insane for working with seed beads) :D

Thank you. :D And I love seed beads! The tinier, the better. :)

Insanity is only induced when the cat jumps onto your bead tray, sends a cupful of size 14's skittering all over the long-pile rug, grabs the carefully woven piece you're working on and takes off down the hallway with it, losing your last beading needle somewhere along the way - and it's a Sunday, and the bead shops are closed!

Don't ask how I know this. :roll:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. :D And I love seed beads! The tinier, the better. :)

Insanity is only induced when the cat jumps onto your bead tray, sends a cupful of size 14's skittering all over the long-pile rug, grabs the carefully woven piece you're working on and takes off down the hallway with it, losing your last beading needle somewhere along the way - and it's a Sunday, and the bead shops are closed!

Don't ask how I know this. :roll:

Umm... yes this has happened to me before.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! I can not believe that I've been on AW all these years and I've never noticed this forum before. (Someone slap me, I deserve it!):)

I'm an avid beader* and just blown away by the stunning pieces I'm seeing here. You are very talented people!

*Also trying my hand at patchwork at moment. :D

:welcome:
Welcome!!!​
Best friend and I coined a new term today for those of us that love to stitch AND bead, we're calling it bitching! :evil
Well it was me that accidentally said it when I was trying to spew the words beading and stitching out in a discussion we were having about arthritis and no longer being able to stitch or bead anymore and it came out as bitching!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yep. I can see that.

Spillage: it's worse when you do it to yourself by sneezing when your hand is too close to a paper plate *full* of iridescent tan #14s the same general color as the carpet. And the SO and the family animal hang back, going, "Nope, wasn't us."

That required a vacuum cleaner, a big bucket of water, and an actual gold-panning screen. Because those damn iridescents were $12 a tube, and I needed every one of them.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Nymo vs Fireline

So those of you who have been headers for a while will know this debate. Nymo is a brand name for a type of spun, multithread nylon or polyester (forget which) sewing thread. Fireline is the brand name for a monofilament thread sold through fishing supply stores but used in beading and sewing. Both come in various colors.

Personally, I dislike using monofilament for beading. The Fireline I've used in the past hasn't aged well, has heat-rotted, and isn't flexible enough or thin enough to do multiple passes through a bead. Whereas the Nymo and similar threads from 22 years ago are still supple and strong.

My local beading group (that I attended in July) seems to adore Fireline. I didn't really volunteer that my local upholstery supply place has a 30-spool box of slate blue Nymo (what I used in the gloves) for $5.

So, any presences for thread?

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use Nymo, but I've noticed that it stretches quite a bit, over time - particularly if I've used heavier beads as central pieces. I try to 'pre-stretch' it before I work with it, but it still does it. But it's better than any other thread I've worked with. The knots hold well, too. :)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Fireline either. For what i work with it's too heavy and stiff for the proper drape. I do know that Nymo stretches over time, but I've not noticed a lot of that over the years.

I'm trying it in a couple of loomed cuff pieces for shaping issues, but that's about it. I'll stick with Nymo for the time being

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Beeeeeeeeeeeads! This thread was a delight to read through. :D

I haven't done anything with seed beads in a long time, but now you've given me a craving for them! For the past year or so, I've mostly been making dangly earrings with Czech crystal bicones, my absolute favourites. They sell really well!

Does anyone else ever shop at Beadaholique? I consider it my own personal candy store. http://www.beadaholique.com/

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I do believe that next year will be an interesting one for me creatively.

HUGE secret project in the works. I am really excited about it.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Step 1 of being able to torch again:

The garage is somewhat cleaned out and my stuff is in the designated corner. :)

Step 2 is getting everything organized again before getting hoses, running a new electrical line and figuring out what kind of ventilation I need.

Step 3 will be putting it all together. :)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:nothing

Just a smile at seeing this thread at the top. :hi: Wendy, where ever you are.

MM

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Hello fellow bead-obsessors!!!!!

I've been doing beadwork for about 15 years. I sell them at art shows (about 10-15 a year).

I mostly use Nymo, but when I have a heavy project (or one with lots of crystals) I have learned that 6lb braided fishing line is about as thin as Nymo, as supple, and doesn't seem to have the issues monofilament does. It's about $40 for a 300 yard spool. I used up one spool and a little more for a beaded shawl I just finished. (I still have to get pics!) http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPID...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03958130&rid=20

Some of my projects before the shawl:http://www.greendragonartist.com/Galleries/gallery_beadworkneckware.htm

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Greendragon! That's not just beading, that pure artistry! Absolutely beautiful! :)