Calling all beaders....you whoooooo

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Like writing a novel, a really useful bead collection doesn't happen overnight.
I've been haunting thrift shops and bead stores since 1985, and I have enough loot to stock a small store. I also use it up. Drives accountants crazy when I try to explain that it is all art stock, and I may not use it for years. Had one 'cleaning expert' tell me I should discard anything I haven't looked at in five years. I looked back and said 'You're not an artist, I take it?"

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Filigree: You sound like my cousin in So-Cal. She is always buying stuff at thrift shops and yard sales to take apart. I keep my eyes open for her over here, too. She sells at craft shows, and I have no idea how she reports to her accountant.

MM

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I hear that. About the cannibalizing. I wish I could get out more and hunt through yard sales.

I already am trying to figure out how to store some of my stuff. It is amazing how fast the stock grows. :D

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I spent two weeks a few years ago, working a couple of hours in the evening, just sorting all my glass bead stock into broad color categories. Then bagging everything. It's still a pain to go through, and the multi-bin is up to my chin, but it helps. I still haven't really sorted my gemstone and pearl stock.

A local eyeglass-chain company that I know has a back room with two walls entirely filled with small clear bins. Each separate bead-type is in its own bin, with stock number and company of origin. If I'm ever wealthy enough to have a studio, I'll tweak their system.

I've become very good at cruising through my local thrift stores and garage sales, and keeping my game face on when I see really good Czech glass, carved bone or old ivory, gemstone or decent enamel pieces. A lot of time, the sorters at thrift stores don't know jade from plastic or glass.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I bead, or just started to in the summer.

After I finished my Master's thesis, my brain was so utterly fried that I needed something to do with my hands.

I really fell in love with beading. I'm not an expert, but I have a few nice pieces that I'm proud of.

I haven't really gone to a gem show, but hope to soon. I usually buy from fire mountain, I think that's the name of it, but there are a few mom/pop stores around here who sell some interesting beads. The only issue is that they charge so much more than I can get online.

But, online I can't see the beads or feel them or touch them.

Kind of a trade-off I guess. :)

I haven't done anything terribly intricate. I'm still learning what the best threads are, how to tighten up my work better, etc.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Has anyone ever custom-ordered carved beads, carved their own beads, or worked in a company making batches of carved beads? I'd really like to get more insight into that process.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Not me sun.

I also would like to make paper beads. Maybe this next summer I will try my hand at them. You can get some real interesting looks with them from what I have seen.

Crasters...Me too. Just starting out but having a ball with them. I am always ready to learn. Good luck to you.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously If you have questions on threads and techniques, please let me know. I've done just about everything from applique to freeform.

Never worked on any carved beads, but depending on the material would be much like woodcarving. Might look into that too.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
A friend told me tonight about a new show, Project Accessory on Life network, that might be a fun show to catch.

I went online and watched the first program that aired this last Thursday night. I have mixed feelings about it, but am sure I will watch it again. If you get a chance, check it out.

I know I could never work under that kind of pressure. :poke:

I will be sending you a PM shadow about thread types. I have lots of questions.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
OHMIGOSHOMIGOSHOMIGOSH!!! When did this forum pop up??? And this thread????? SQUEEEEE!!!!!

...ahem. I'm a little excited. I'm sure you couldn't tell at all. :D

I love beading. I've been obsessively beading for a little over a year now, though I have limited stock, limited funds, and limited time/inspiration to bead... but I seriouslyseriously love it. And I love cannibalizing jewelry. My mom and I got a whole huge jewelry box just packed with some awesome vintage jewelry for 20 bucks at a Goodwill, and I've gotten some really interesting pieces out of those parts.

I also would like to make paper beads. Maybe this next summer I will try my hand at them. You can get some real interesting looks with them from what I have seen.

Oooh, paper beads! I have a fair number of those that I've made, and a huge pile of pages from magazines waiting to be turned into beads when I have the time... for some completely unknown reason, my mom started randomly receiving Glamor magazine. O.O Neither of us read that sort of magazine, but it has beautiful, beautiful colors and excellent paper for beads, so I've gotten some really nice materials out of it. And we don't know where the subscription came from, but the magazines were addressed to my mom, so we figured we might as well get some use out of them and conventionally recycle the rest. :D

I'm seriously psyched about this forum. Is this like super-new, or am I just completely blind? 'Cause this is awesome.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad you found us. W00t!

This last week I have been getting some of my orders of supplies in and expect two more big ones this week.

I have seven all done, necklaces, except for the ends of them. They will be coming in this week. I have about 35 done so far hanging on childrens hangers.(It saves space.) and I can hang the earrings and rings on them too.

That's what I need to do is order some kind of mag. so I will have the paper for the beads this summer. (Makes note)

I already gave my daughter about 25 sets to 'display' at her job and she is creating lots of comments and inquiries. Right after Thanksgiving I will be ready to sell them. No two alike.

Like I said on up in this thread I like the bling stuff. Not much into what I term 'old lady beads'. (Earth tones and such.) I know there is a big market for the earth stuff but I enjoy the splash more.

I am still taking baby steps but love how it flows. It's almost like painting a picture. When we get the pictures done up I have a web site that will be password only and will post just for our eyes only. I think it will be fun to see what everyone is doing. Will let you all know when that is ready.

Don't forget tomorrow night and the Project Accessory on Life network. Check their web site for times in your area.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Heh, I tend to prefer earth tones, but I like working with brighter colors, too. (Not that I'd wear the brighter colors, but... that's beside the point. I don't wear jewelry much, I just like to make it! :D)

I reallyreally need a job so I can get money for crimp beads. I have, like, four crimp beads left. O.O State of emergency, supply-wise! Hah.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Snickers....lol

I got lots of crimps...here...........grab some.

I don't wear jewelry either any more, but I love to make it.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wendy, you don't need to buy mags for the paper to make beads. Just ask neighbors if they have mags they would give you instead of recycling them. If you still lived in Sc, I could give you a lifetime supply.

MM

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I love that I'm not the only one who uses the word "cannibalize" for buying jewelry from yard sales and such and taking them apart for the beads and such. My sister thinks that word is just hilarious. "You're not a piece of jewelry!" Oh, the joys of those who don't bead... (Just kidding, she's awesome. She just doesn't understand the word usage there. :D)

Hey, Wendy, what sort of patterns or techniques or whatever were you thinking of using for the paper beads? I love making paper beads, but the only way I know how turns out some nice sort of football-shaped beads, and I was thinking of trying something new... of course, it's not like I really have the materials for making paper beads here at college, but... :tongue

Does anyone else here use fishing line for thread? I have a spool of 700 yards of four-pound line sitting on my desk for those rare moments I get to bead between schoolwork and the computer :)tongue), and I totally love it. Nice and strong, hangs as well as regular thread if you use heavy enough beads... but sometimes if you don't have heavy enough beads, it doesn't hang right, anyway. :( I made an awesome necklace from fishing line though, for my almost-stepmother, and it ended up looking like the bead clumps were strung on air between crimp beads. Totally awesome. (Wish I'd gotten a picture... ><)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
LilliCray, think twice about using fishing line. It may look like some of the thin polyester beading thread, but cheaper brands of fishing line tend to get brittle and crack under heat or chemical stress (like sweat). You are better off using a thread made specifically for beading.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You are better off using a thread made specifically for beading.

I'd love to, but there's no way I could afford it. :( Too expensive for way too little of the material. (Is beading thread available in bulk? I wonder if that would be more affordable...)

Then again, I've never exactly had money to spare, so pretty much everything is too expensive for too small an amount...

What about chain maille? Does anyone else work with that? I love chain maille. I tried to do a Persian weave, I think 3-in-1? Maybe? Can't remember. It looked really pretty, but I could not figure out how to work it. Supposedly it was one of the easier weaves to do, too. TT.TT

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I have been toying with some ideas about the paper beads. The standard way is to use the long triangle shaped pieces of paper to roll. I think if you change the shape of the paper you roll you could get a different shape in the end. Why not experiment with some. On several sites that have videos of how to make them I see they have different shapes I have not yet sat down and looked at them yet. Just type in paper beads and scan down to the ones that have instructions. I found several sites that way.

I did some research on fishing line and Shadowflame also helped me out with the kind to get. i have some ordered and hope it works out. You have to really read up on it. There are so many different types. I'l let you know what I think about it later.

I too understand about the money issue. I wish I could spend as much as i would like. (I would have to get a bigger place....lol)

Good luck with your stuff.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Wow, I was thinking of getting a bulk bag of shark teeth to make some jewelry out of but they turn out to be more expensive than semi-precious stones. o_O

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
What is this white bead made of? The round white one with natural slots in it. I couldn't find any in either shell or bone categories, but I know it's a natural material and you see it all the time in beach jewelry.
41p0Kty4yYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting week.

I got a big order from Fire Mountain on Tuesday. You would have thought I was a little kid on Christmas morning. I had a great time. Then on Friday got another box from Fire. Woot.

Needless to say I have been busy creating, doing my best not to go blind.

I noticed that some of the sale stuff from Fire has 'Blue Moon' on it so, I went over to their site. Sigh. I am just sure I will be having a break down from all the choices just any minute now. :D Add this site to the others I have and my oh my. Such pretties.....lol

I will be busy all weekend with this stuff.

What is everyone else up to?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I don't know if Blue Moon went belly-up or just had a meltdown, but they were selling some neat stuff through Michael's and Jo-Ann a few years ago.
Fire Mountain must have bought out stock. I've noticed some showing up at 80% off at Tuesday Morning, too.

Pity -- the beads were originally way over-priced, but very pretty.