How many books do you read at the same time?

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I don't have OCD in any truly useful areas (like cleaning) but it does help with reading books and making jewelry. I can only work on one thing at a time or read one book at a time. That doesn't mean I can't bead while doing other things, like watching TV, but I can't put it down without finishing it to pick up a new project. Having seen my mom's huge pile of unfinished projects, I am glad of this. Books are the same - gotta finish one before starting another.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Usually, it's two: One novel and one work of nonfiction -- a book or article in the fields of history, international relations, or current affairs. But right now I'm laying off the nonfiction while I'm reading Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain. I'm giving it 100% of my attention because it's just so mind-blowingly good.

NeglectedSpace

Registered
Reaction score
Books at multiple locations are read at different times. There's the bathroom book, bedside novel, etc.

This made me spray beer all over the floor! Thank you!

I'm usually reading a few at a time: one non-fiction, a fiction in the sci-fi genre, and a detective novel (or something to that equation). It's not so much that I become bored, but if I find myself bored by a particular part, I leave it and go to something else, then go back. Unless I don't have that book with me, then I read whatever I do have :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to average 4. I think I've read as many as 7 or 8, and very rarely I only have 1 on my "Currently Reading" list on Goodreads. Sometimes I'm less actively "currently reading" some books than others.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I used to read 3-4 books at a time, when I read physical books. I kept one in the living room, one at my bedside, and one in my bag, at least. It was a matter of convenience. I didn't want to lay down at night and find that my book was still in the car.

Now that I read almost all my books on Kindle, I tend to read one at a time. I have access to the same books and the same bookmarks on a number of devices, so I don't have to worry about leaving my book behind somewhere.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book in the bathroom, usually one in the car, a main book I'm reading that I will carry around with me, and a travel book on my Kindle. And whatever book my son and I are reading together in bits, whenever he's home from college.

So usually between 2-5 going at once, depending on what the status of any of those books is at the time.

biggie321hp

Registered
Reaction score
I only read one at a time. I want to be able to consume one meal before moving on to another.

saiko_neko

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have OCD in any truly useful areas (like cleaning) but it does help with reading books and making jewelry. I can only work on one thing at a time or read one book at a time. That doesn't mean I can't bead while doing other things, like watching TV, but I can't put it down without finishing it to pick up a new project. Having seen my mom's huge pile of unfinished projects, I am glad of this. Books are the same - gotta finish one before starting another.

Same. Although I have OCD just in the reading part. Not projects in general. I also HAVE to read a whole book if I start it even if I don't like it. Which is not a good thing :S

And I did have to read two books at a time once for college and it was horrible.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
For pleasure - just one.

But when you throw into the mix the constant stream of books that fly around on my desk at work while I decide what to pitch at clients, many many many.

ladyfickle

Registered
Reaction score
That's not the problem. The real issue is how many books do I write at the same time;)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
When I'm on, two is comfortable--one fiction and one non-fiction. Lately it takes all the energy I have to skim the LA Times.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
In terms of fiction, usually one at a time. Text books, as many as the project needs, swapping between them. Sometimes with fiction I might not be in the right mood for a book, and I might put a book mark in, swap to a different one (usually a reliable re-read) and then come back to the bookmarked book.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually reading one novel and listening to a second one in the car. Driving is so boring.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually cap myself at three: one novel, one nonfic, and one short story anthology. It's usually fewer though.