Sentence fragments are here. There. And everywhere.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen them lots of places recently, even in AW posts, but I decided not to say anything (unless it's in SYW, where I recall seeing one, but I think someone else had already pointed it out to the writer). The pattern is to have one or more sentence fragments following a complete sentence where they would be grammatically correct as a single sentence. Like this. And like in the title.

Does this annoy anyone else as much as it does me?

I've seen these in news stories, but I just came across this quite egregious example:
Out of ‘hobby’ class, drones lifting off for personal, commercial use
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ass-drones-lifting-off-for-personal/?page=all
This is the tenth paragraph:
Soon, experts predict, drones will be used to transport air cargo. Assist with search-and-rescue. Perform police surveillance. Inspect oil pipelines and sprawling vineyards. Follow and photograph tabloid targets such as Lindsay Lohan.
There it is, FOUR sentence fragments as "follow-ons" to an actual sentence.

Is there some strange, sudden change in modern English that makes this acceptable?

I wasn't sure where to post this. It might fit in Grammar and Syntax, but it might also fit in Politics and Current Events, as it does seem to be a "current event."

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Personally, I love sentence fragments. And use them. A lot. For dramatic/poetic effect.

It can definitely be irritating when used too often, or with a tin ear. I don't find your quoted example annoying, but I've been annoyed by fragments in fiction. It tends to annoy me most in overly voicy first person writing.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's OK in fiction. It can be used for a good effect. But in a news article I just find it weird.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
In posts, the person may be quoting what they'd say if it were a real-life discussion. That's what I do, anyway :)

In fiction I think they work if not overdone. In a news story, I think it's pushing it, but if it looks like there was a space problem that makes sense. I know I wished I could do it while writing textbooks, because of the word limit issue. I didn't, of course ;)

Garriga

Registered
Reaction score
As long as the message is clear fragments are okay in fiction.

I this case I would divide the phrases with a comma not a period.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Is there some strange, sudden change in modern English that makes this acceptable?

I suspect you're correct, though it always reminds me. Of James. T. Kirk. On a. Mission. To an exotic. But curiously familiar. Planet full. Of lustrous. Women.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
I know I'm guilty of this offense when I post because I'm in a hurry. Like now. Fragments allow me to get my point across with brevity.

Fiction lends itself this style of sentence structure, especially dialogue or FP narration. I find it completely unacceptable in formal writing, as in the example you posted.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a writer thing. We know the rules. We know a fragment when we see it. When I come across one in fiction, it takes me completely out of the story. Stops me dead. For me, it's like seeing contrails in the big blue sky of a period 'western' movie. Oopsy, why didn't anyone catch that? That's soo wrong. Who edited this?

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, I don't mind them too much because I know I do it in my posts. I also use commas too much, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Or I write like this.

And then I put another sentence like this.

And then another space and yet another sentence.

To spread things out for some reason.

I don't know why I do this.

I just do.

:D

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think fragments are okay to use in fiction and even tend to flavor up some of the more humurous stuff I read. It does seem odd in a news article though.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So. You. Don't like. Sentence fragments.

It kinda reminds me of how David Caruso speaks on CSI Miami.

For dramatic effect he'll split up his sentences.

"We. Seem. To have. Another victim. Out there."

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
It kinda reminds me of how David Caruso speaks on CSI Miami.

-and don't forget to speak softer than anyone else in the scene and mix up the stress points of the sentence!

Fragment in posts? - Ha! - like peanut butter & bananas.

Nom.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
It's not just my imagination, sentence fragments are a trend! A real trend!

We create value by offering a transportation service that: Is faster than conventional means of transportation Can reach areas that are otherwise inaccessible Saves time by bringing goods to people rather than sending people to get goods Has low operating costs that are continuing to reduce further Has little environmental impact: pollution-free transport with minimal...
http://matternet.net/

There's nothing that can be done. This trend cannot be stopped. Cannot be slowed down.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a huge lover of fragments. I do realize they can be used sparingly for good dramatic effect in fiction, though more in dialog and first-person narrative.

I edit novels and find most writers who use an abundance of fragments do so more out of ignorance than for calculated effect.

When I suggest attaching the fragment to its parent sentence, I'm often met with "A beta reader said the sentence was too long" or "I thought whereas was a coordinating conjunction" or "Someone told me Stephen King says to kill all adjectives, so I thought I just did."

Since I edit for 1/3 cent per word, I usually write back, "You're the boss" and ask if I should ignore future fragments.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
If the narrative distance is really close, I don't mind fragments. Otherwise, I agree - they can be jarring.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
When it comes to creative fiction writing and posts on a message board, reading sentence fragments doesn't bother me because many people write fiction and on Internet forums in a way meant to mimick their own informal conversational style of speech. Many people speak naturally in fragments. So, I read it as a normal, organic use of language. Conversational writing flows better in my head when I'm reading it.

However, I find it grossly unacceptable in professional journalism and academic/technical writing. Its use is amateurish and shows an egregious lack of professional writing skill (and makes me get all snooty and snobby and question the author's IQ, academic credentials and sometimes, if the writing is bad enough, their parentage and other personal factors i couldn't possibly have actual knowledge of).

Otherwise?

Meh.

;)

Last edited:

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I write my stories in sort of fragments. So I think I just accidentally incorporate it into my posts. I get annoyed with long sentences. Mainly because I remember being in school and getting told off for writing sentences that are long and never found a balance.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Fragments have their place, but it's fairly obvious when they're being used correctly and when the writer just doesn't know what they're doing.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I like them. The fragments, that is.

That is all.

:D

*waits patiently to get things thrown at me*

:popcorn:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fragments allow me to get my point across with brevity.

I understand this sentence, but not the line before it. What was your point? It may have been too brief.