Something from your childhood that you miss

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finding stray jellybeans in the plastic grass at the bottom of my Easter basket after I thought they were all gone.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pong, I'm pretty sure it was the first home video game. I used to sit and play that by the hours. Then when Atari came out, LOVED. IT.

Arcades with skeeball, and you'd play for hours to win all those tickets to get some cheap plastic doohickey. Good times, good times.

Miniature golf. We used to go to NH every summer. We were the only ones at the mini golf course and used to skip the last hole and play for hours until the mosquitoes chased us away. Then we sat in the car eating ice cream.

As for cereal, Crunch Berry was good, but Count Chocula was the best.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finding stray jellybeans in the plastic grass at the bottom of my Easter basket after I thought they were all gone.

And for some reason, those little chocolate eggs in the colored foil tasted so much better than the other chocolate.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And for some reason, those little chocolate eggs in the colored foil tasted so much better than the other chocolate.

Haha! It's true!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Pong, I'm pretty sure it was the first home video game. I used to sit and play that by the hours. Then when Atari came out, LOVED. IT.

Arcades with skeeball, and you'd play for hours to win all those tickets to get some cheap plastic doohickey. Good times, good times.

Miniature golf. We used to go to NH every summer. We were the only ones at the mini golf course and used to skip the last hole and play for hours until the mosquitoes chased us away. Then we sat in the car eating ice cream.

As for cereal, Crunch Berry was good, but Count Chocula was the best.
All of the above! I still would love to play Pong. (*makes note to self to look this one up as an app. Though it wouldn't be the same as when played on a 27" CRT television with that "ponging" noise that must have driven our parents nuts.*)

Several times a year we go to the boardwalk about five miles from here and play skeeball (those machines are so old, but so good) and still get those tickets, but now give them to kids we see there.

And I remember when there'd be a new kids' cereal every so often to try and how exciting that was. Loved Count Chocula! Still do.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Choosing a book from the school's book fair after receiving good grades every term. Oh how I looked forward to that! Also, in grade school, we had a reading contest-type thing every term - if you read so many books, you got a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. You also got a really, really cool button, and a star each term to put on the button.

Book It! That's what it was called! https://www.pinterest.com/baker225/90s-kid/

I was such a nerd that in high school AP classes, I LOVED that we were allowed to go to Hood College (the college nearby) and use their library. Not only did it make me feel special and cool like the older kids, but I just love libraries. The bigger the better. And one belonging to a college felt so prestigious.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember pushing the change return on payphones you didn't use and every once and a while change would drop. SCORE.

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Building tree forts out of scrap wood we stole from the local construction site.

Throwing snowballs at cars and running like hell.

Fooling around with girls when their parents were at work.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Shaving cream fights at summer camp. We weren't supposed to do them, but Thursday night, the day before everyone went home, the counselors would sneak out at midnight to have their own, and if you had a good counselor-in-training, they brought a few cans themselves. We'd move all the mattresses and sleeping bags and clothes into the hall and go crazy.

Scholastic book fairs.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh...summers that just seemed to go on forever. Riding our bikes around the neighborhood - particularly to TCBY which was the closes place we could go to that had ice cream. (or frozen yogurt). Water fights.

Hide and Seek at night.

Truth or Dare in the gazebo at the pond across the street from my house. That's how I got my first "real" (and slobbery) kiss.

Lighting candles and incense in my room and listening to The Beatles.

Reading after bedtime to the fading light coming through my window.

Sleepovers. Giggling and trying to be quiet while staying up as late as we could.

Man...nostalgia makes my chest ache. Not that I'd ever go back... but it aches.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From early childhood, I miss the Avon lady, lol. She'd come in all dressed up, cover the table with samples and demos and bully my frugal, practical mom into buying lovely pretties. To me, she was the epitome of glamour and sophistication. :p

Last edited:

TeamWingless

Years to build and moments to ruin
Registered
Reaction score
I miss "playing" with friends rather than "hanging out" with friends. It was like you're all in this big giggly mess of kids, and you all just get each other. Nothing you said had to make sense, someone would roll with it, you didn't worry about holding back yet because you didn't know how. I miss mass games of tag and fights in the park, then 10 minutes later you're cool. POKEMON CARDS! This is a sad confession, but I still have my Pokemon cards somewhere >_<

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I probably mentioned this somewhere up thread, but...

• The Loretta Young Show
  • Ozzie & Harriet
  • Father Knows Best
  • Leave It to Beaver
  • The Untouchables
  • The Fugitive

What?

All we had/did for entertainment was TV. :Shrug:

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I probably mentioned this somewhere up thread, but...

• The Loretta Young Show
  • Ozzie & Harriet
  • Father Knows Best
  • Leave It to Beaver
  • The Untouchables
  • The Fugitive

What?

All we had/did for entertainment was TV. :Shrug:
And there were no reruns, and only three commercials per show.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Sneaking a copy of Mad Magazine to school, and reading it when the teacher wasn't looking.

Seven-Deuce

Registered
Reaction score
Commodore 64. I'm pretty sure all things that I cherish from my childhood can be traced back to that fascinating, yet quaint and impractical hunk of silcon and soldering with its shitty external floppy drive and senseless rendition of BASIC. But still, it activated my imagination in a way no other single piece of junk in my childhood ever could.

Really, all of my old toys. Pound puppies, Popples, Teddy Ruxpin, and these two dinosaur stuffed animals that were with me since I was born. I miss them.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sneaking a copy of Mad Magazine to school, and reading it when the teacher wasn't looking.

I loved Mad Magazine

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Waking up at 6 am Saturday mornings to watch cartoons before my siblings woke up and eat super sugary cereal. Seriously, cartoons and cereal were way better and more varied when I was a kid.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I miss friends' birthday parties, the kind that were in the birthday kid's house, with musical chairs, tag, cake and ice cream, and a hand-sized goodie bag with candies and (then) ten cent toys.

yes

Waking up at 6 am Saturday mornings to watch cartoons before my siblings woke up and eat super sugary cereal. Seriously, cartoons and cereal were way better and more varied when I was a kid.

yes

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Anyone remember the Saturday Morning CBS Cartooniverse? September was when the new crop of cartoons came out, and it almost made going back to school bearable.