William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i know this was added to the Foley thread, but breaking it out seems only fair.

ISIL has released a second video allegedly showing the beheading of journalist Steven Sotloff, according to SITE Intelligence Group.

The terrorist group had previously claimed Sotloff would be killed if the U.S. continued to attack in Iraq in a video released Aug. 19. That threat came in the same video where journalist James Foley was executed by the same group. The new video allegedly also threatens David Cawthorne Haines, a British hostage.
http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/09/isil-releases-video-of-steven-sotloff-beheading/379479/

sotloff's coerced statement:
I am Steven Joel Sotloff. I'm sure you know exactly who I am by now and why I am appearing before you. And now this time for my message:

Obama, your foreign policy of intervention in Iraq was supposed to be for the preservation of American lives and interests, so why is it that I am paying the price of your interference with my life. Am I not an American citizen? You've spent billions of U.S. tax payers dollars and we've lost thousands of our troops in our previous fighting against the Islamic State, so where is the people's interest in reigniting this war?

From what little I know about foreign policy, I remember a time you could not win an election without promising to bring our troops back home from Iraq and Afghanistan and to close down Guantanamo. Here you are now, Obama, nearing the end of your term, and having achieving none of the above, and deceivingly marching us the American people in the blazing fire.
scumbag british jihad john's statement:
I'm back, Obama, and I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State, because of your insistence on continuing your bombings and [unclear] on Mosul Dam, despite our serious warnings. You, Obama, have but to gain from your actions but another American citizen. So just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people...

We take this opportunity to warn those governments that enter this evil alliance of America against the Islamic State to back off and leave our people alone.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I just heard about this on the radio while driving home from work. Sickening. Do they really think we will stop bombing them? Don't they realize this is only strengthening the resolve of the world to destroy them? I've got to wonder what the strategy in their minds is, because I don't think they are crazy. Evil, but not crazy. So what are they trying to accomplish here by inciting a superior military power? (And now powers -- Britain's next, apparently) Perhaps Obama's reticence is because the administration understands something the average citizen does not. (Or the average neocon :) ) But what are they (ISIS) thinking? I'm asking a serious question here.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Sotloff's home is not far from me, in the neighboring community. Don't know him or his family, myself, but I know people who know them.

It was a circus around his parents' home earlier today. It may still be. "Journalists" are basically trying to interview the entire neighborhood. Bleck.

His mother had released a video a couple of weeks ago pleading for her son's life. Obviously, it was ignored.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
His mother had released a video a couple of weeks ago pleading for her son's life. Obviously, it was ignored.

By whom? ISIS or the Obama Administration?

It's a terrible thing when an American loses his life at the hands of savage killers. It would be an even more terrible thing to go off half-cocked because talking heads and politicians running for reelection start screaming, "do something!"

That isn't always the military option no matter what the warhawks say. Sometimes that means paying ransom and that William Saletan says, the U.S. should not do.

On Tuesday, ISIS released a video of the beheading of American journalist James Foley. Did the United States cause his death?

That’s the question many people are asking. According to the New York Times, while European governments have ransomed their citizens from ISIS, the United States and Britain have refused. American commandos tried to rescue Foley and other prisoners but failed. Two weeks ago President Obama authorized U.S. airstrikes on ISIS. The militants say they killed Foley to punish us for the strikes. Critics say it didn’t have to end this way. We could have been more flexible. We could have saved Foley.

When somebody does something awful to you or to a person you care about, it’s natural to react this way. What could you have offered the mugger to keep him from shooting your wife? But that’s the wrong way to look at the situation. The most powerful weapon bad people use to control good people isn’t knives, guns, or bombs. It’s fear. They train you to think about your options within a framework they control: You make the decisions; they impose the consequences.

If you pay the ransom, you’re not just fueling the kidnap market. As Slate’s Josh Keating notes, you’re also funding ISIS’s war and its atrocities against civilians. Callimachi found that al-Qaida and its affiliates reaped a minimum of $125 million in ransoms in the last five years, and $66 million just last year. It’s now al-Qaida’s main revenue stream. And the demands won’t end with money. In addition to Sotloff, ISIS reportedly has at least three more American hostages it’s threatening to kill. It also has some Brits. The New York Times says ISIS “has sent a laundry list of demands for the release of the foreigners, starting with money but also prisoner swaps.” Altogether, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists, ISIS and other extremists in Syria have about 20 foreign journalists.

I fear for those reporters. I’m horrified by Foley’s death, and I know Sotloff is probably next. But we have to think about the next 20 hostages, and the 20 after that. Every time we ransom a reporter, we put a price tag on the next one. The only way to extinguish the market in kidnapping is to make it worthless. That means refusing to pay. And what about the Iraqi and Syrian civilians ISIS slaughters every day? If we halt our airstrikes to appease ISIS, as the executioner in the video implicitly demands, aren’t we sacrificing them for a few Americans?
If this were simply a matter of dropping Sly Stallone and The Expendables into Syria and killing ISIS commanders, this would all be over quickly, but we all know that's not viable or possible. Future rescue missions may still be considered, but Foley, Soltoff and every other American in Iraq, Syria or any other warzone have made the decision to accept the risk of reporting and working in a place where they can be taken hostage or worse.

The blame and the responsibility here for these acts of butchery belongs entirely on ISIS and them alone.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I just heard about this on the radio while driving home from work. Sickening. Do they really think we will stop bombing them? Don't they realize this is only strengthening the resolve of the world to destroy them? I've got to wonder what the strategy in their minds is, because I don't think they are crazy. Evil, but not crazy. So what are they trying to accomplish here by inciting a superior military power? (And now powers -- Britain's next, apparently) Perhaps Obama's reticence is because the administration understands something the average citizen does not. (Or the average neocon :) ) But what are they (ISIS) thinking? I'm asking a serious question here.

Their audience is not America, at least not in regards to them worrying about provoking a military response. Their audience is young disaffected Muslims in the West. Their main problem is they don't have enough manpower at present to accomplish their goals. So... they have to recruit. This is their version of a recruiting pitch, and the message is that if you're young, jobless, pissed off, and tired of hating everyone in your country and vice versa, then hey, they're not squishy like those pussy al qaeda dorks. And yes, the more they provoke us into doing things that get Muslim civilians killed, the more susceptible ISIS's recruiting targets get. So while I'm not totally happy with Obama's messaging lately, I do think his caution is extremely well warranted.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
So just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.

Amazing how someone so evil is still capable of making the lamest threat ever.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I think Isis wants American boots on the ground. Seems like a sure way of getting as much young, angry Muslims as possible to join the Holy War.

These awful beheadings are meant to stoke the fire in American hearts.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Isis wants American boots on the ground. Seems like a sure way of getting as much young, angry Muslims as possible to join the Holy War.

I think ISIS is miscalculating these beheadings. If they keep it up, it will be hard to find reporters or journalists to go and cover that shit. And, they don't want a war waged on them that isn't covered by the media...that will do them no good. That, and it's bad business to behead people...

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I think ISIS is miscalculating these beheadings. If they keep it up, it will be hard to find reporters or journalists to go and cover that shit. And, they don't want a war waged on them that isn't covered by the media...that will do them no good. That, and it's bad business to behead people...

They don't need reporters. All they need is Americans, a camera and the Internet...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
overheard at ISIS camp:

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
This was playing across the news as my 11-year-old son and I ate at Subway last night. He had a lot of questions that I deeply wish he didn't have reason to ask at that age.

I wish I knew what to do. I wish the answer were simple. There is no risk-free option here.

Do what they ask? Phenomenally bad long-term strategy, as I think anyone can attest.

Bomb them? The civilians will not thank us for that.

Boots on the ground? More dead soldiers, and will it be enough?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
right now, the president is doing the right thing. he has struck them from the air at key points to liberate mosul dam and (just this week) a town ISIS had had under siege for weeks.

there are definitely no easy answers.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
While I think the media coverage and outrage over this murder is warranted I can't help but wonder about a few years ago when a US Ambassador was murdered in the US Embassy in Libya along with other US citizens.

I'm sure their families would have appreciated the harsh words from the politicians then and action on finding the killers. Supposedly now years later there's one man in custody but I doubt much will come of that.

Just a few wandering thoughts....

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
While I think the media coverage and outrage over this murder is warranted I can't help but wonder about a few years ago when a US Ambassador was murdered in the US Embassy in Libya along with other US citizens.

I'm sure their families would have appreciated the harsh words from the politicians then and action on finding the killers. Supposedly now years later there's one man in custody but I doubt much will come of that.

Just a few wandering thoughts....

People did try to bring it up. They got accused of playing political games.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

Exactly.

These beheadings are designed to provoke our rage and hopefully get the US embroiled in all out armed conflict. When the US troops come in, and invariably civilians are once again caught in the crossfire and killed, the narrative of the infidel invaders killing innocent Muslims will be front and center.

This, hopefully for Isis, will lead to increased radicalization, the strengthening of their movement, and eventually when the US leaves, the takeover and creation of the state they want to.
right now, the president is doing the right thing. he has struck them from the air at key points to liberate mosul dam and (just this week) a town ISIS had had under siege for weeks.

there are definitely no easy answers.
Plus, the president is constrained in what he can actually do.

He cannot expand military action beyond a certain point without congressional approval. Given the current state of US politics he is not likely to get that.

Very few in Congress wish to vote for another Middle East war when so much of the American public is war weary and cynical, and ever since Iraq, quite frankly mistrustful of governmental foreign adventures.

On the other hand, there is significant political risk in voting against authorization to target a terrorist group beheading Americans.

My guess is that if Obama goes to Congress, they simply will refuse to put it up for a vote – thus being able to avoid responsibility and to blame the president for lack of action at the same time – a win-win for at least some of them.

This entire situation is in part a legacy of the original Iraq invasion -- the war that keeps on giving.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Their audience is not America, at least not in regards to them worrying about provoking a military response. Their audience is young disaffected Muslims in the West. Their main problem is they don't have enough manpower at present to accomplish their goals. So... they have to recruit. This is their version of a recruiting pitch, and the message is that if you're young, jobless, pissed off, and tired of hating everyone in your country and vice versa, then hey, they're not squishy like those pussy al qaeda dorks. And yes, the more they provoke us into doing things that get Muslim civilians killed, the more susceptible ISIS's recruiting targets get. So while I'm not totally happy with Obama's messaging lately, I do think his caution is extremely well warranted.

Thanks for that, raburrell. You know, it's interesting that apparently this most recent beheading video cuts to black right after the beginning of the beheading, then comes back to show the result - the decapitated head on a bloody body. If what you speculate is true, then I wonder if ISIS is holding back some of the gruesome video in order to calibrate the extent of the brutality shown, so that people are not as turned off.

Slate also has an article speculating on five possible reasons why ISIS is beheading Americans. Yours is number 3. (Maybe I'm having a bad day, but a couple of them didn't quite make sense to me or felt incompletely thought out.)

What Is ISIS Thinking?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_worl..._group_is_beheading.html#lf_comment=208102637

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

That is exactly what they want.

I don't envy anyone who has to come with a strategy for dealing with these arsewipes. I am guessing it's top of the agenda at this week's NATO summit.