Books on writing suspense fiction?

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to find books that talk specifically about how to write suspense fiction. But I keep getting titles for books about writing thrillers and/or mysteries when I do searches on Amazon and the like.

I know all three genres have commonalities but I'm really looking for a how-to book on writing specifically suspense fiction, preferably psychological suspense.

Any ideas?

Djuna

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to find books that talk specifically about how to write suspense fiction. But I keep getting titles for books about writing thrillers and/or mysteries when I do searches on Amazon and the like.

I know all three genres have commonalities but I'm really looking for a how-to book on writing specifically suspense fiction, preferably psychological suspense.

Any ideas?

Djuna

Hey, Djuna. First off, the best research you can do is read published novels that are in the same genre in which you would like to write. Read them through once for sheer entertainment, choose the ones you like best, then read them a second, third time, and make notes about how the author opened it, how s/he expressed the tone and voice, where the inciting incident hit, etc, etc. If you read enough novels in this way it'll provide you a nice education. That said, how do you know what to to look for as far as elements of a good novel in your genre?

To that end, how-to books can be a very valuable resource, but there are so many, how do you choose which ones may be most helpful? I assume you read the reviews on Amazon and other sites as to what readers liked and disliked about various how-to's. Narrowing it down further from there, you can always ask on this or other boards what people thought about certain how-to books. But before all that, you really need to narrow down the genre in which you want to write.

I understand how book stores (what few are left) classify their "suspense" books under such headings as "thrillers" or "mysteries" or "suspense" or "psychological mystery" or "paranormal thriller" etc, almost ad infinity. But for me, there are really only two distinct differences and sub-titles here, the rest are sub-genres.

A lot of peeps here might disagree with me, but in my opinion, there is no real genre as "suspense" in the M/T/S world. There are only mystery or thriller. Most every sub-genre (even those outside of M/T/S) need some level of suspense in order to work. In simplest of terms mysteries start with a dead body (or whatever High Crime) and devolve into a who-dunnit. Thrillers may also start with a dead body (or not) and are about how to stop such an atrocity. Each one may carry elements of the other: the whodunnit story may need to have a ticking clock to prevent more bodies from springing up; the thriller may need to discover who done it to prevent more bodies (if they don't already know who the villain is--a lot of thrillers do). There is major suspense in both.

Sure, each sub-genre could be included in an umbrella genre called "suspense" but I'm willing to bet yours lies within mystery or thriller, and can be broken down further depending on your plot.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi GP,
Thank you for these thoughts. Of course, I am trying to read as many books that have been classified as psychological suspense/thriller (especially the classics) as I can and I'm also reading as many articles that discuss writing suspense/thriller fiction as possible.

But I've never written any kind of genre fiction before. My writing has been mainly general/literary fiction, so that's why I was hoping for some suggestions on some of the characteristics of writing suspense/thriller fiction, since I know each genre has it's own conventions.

It does seem like the genres of suspense, thriller, and mystery seem to mesh in many books. The two novels that I'm working on right now aren't thrillers, though, because the pace is more measured and the story is more psychological than physical action. There also isn't a ticking clock and the antagonists are not the "bad guy with the curly mustache and evil laugh" kind of antagonist. They are more subtle antagonists who are doing harm psychologically to the characters than physically.

I'm still open to people's suggestions!

Djuna

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really looking for a how-to book on writing specifically suspense fiction, preferably psychological suspense.

I think Patricia Highsmith's Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction is very good.

Kristenlee83

Registered
Reaction score
The best advice I ever read on writing a mystery/suspense was from Stephen King's On Writing.

In this book, he states that by not knowing the end of the novel until it's written, he can be assured that no one will be able to guess what happens. I've found that tip and insight to be very helpful for me, so hopefully it is for you as well! :)

kristenvalentine

Registered
Reaction score
The best advice I ever read on writing a mystery/suspense was from Stephen King's On Writing.

+1. This book contains a lot of my favorite writing advice.

Also, Steven James' Story Trumps Structure is really helpful. It isn't specifically about writing suspense, but James is a suspense writer by trade and this is pretty obvious in most of his examples.

Collin123

Registered
Reaction score
Dave Morrell's Lessons From A Lifetime Of Writing (author of First Blood and many other thrillers) Lawrence Block's Spider Spin Me A Web and Telling Lies For Fun And Profit (Block is a modern master, check out his Matthew Scudder series to see how it's done), Walter Mosley's This Year You Write Your Novel (short and wonderful and you can't go wrong with any book he's written), Writing Mysteries second edition edited by Sue Grafton.

What the previous poster said is true: read a lot of the genre you want to write. ThRillers, suspense, mysteries are such broad terms. You want a gumshoe? A spy? An amateur sleuth? Hardboiled? Cozy? All of the above?

MindDetox

Registered
Reaction score
I'm searching for the same books on suspense. I like George N. Dove's Suspense in the Formula Story in which he refers to suspense stories as non-detective mysteries. He has interesting insights. John Paxton Sheriff's Creating Suspense in Fiction is also insightful. Carolyn Wheat devotes half of How To Write Killer Fiction to the suspense story structure. I'd recommend all three books.

Although John Le Carre's The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is usually listed as espionage, I would also classify it as literary suspense due to its structure and Leamas' not knowing what's really going on.

Karl Taro Greenfeld's "Strawberries" is an interesting literary suspense short story first published in the Winter 2012-2013 Ploughshares.

Last edited: