And people wonder why I don't use the Cloud...

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Not everyone knows how to zip, encrypt etc and far too many of the instructions are just too complicated for lots of people.

And as I said about myself, I feel very obsessive-compulsive about how I handle it. Add to that the fact that I'm a self-diagnosed paranoiac, and I don't pretend that what I do is or should be the norm.

But that doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't offer up the alternatives. People can give it due consideration on their end.

Like I said, just think about it.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I think that because it's nekkid pics, people tend to think scandal like what happened with Wiender or something. Which is wrong. What happened was a crime. I seem to recall a similar case where a person who did this got 10 years? This could be more.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Worth a read:

http://www.wdbj7.com/life/money/naked-celeb-hack-lesson-delete-doesnt-mean-delete/27836948

The naked photo you took on your phone -- and deleted -- is still around, somewhere.

That's the reality today because of how modern phones, tablets and laptops save your data. By default, photos and documents don't reside on your device alone.

They're routinely "backed up to the cloud." That means they're quietly copied onto a company's computer servers. Your embarrassing selfie lives on half a dozen machines in North America and Europe.

This is why you can easily access the same photos on your phone, personal laptop and work computer. But it also means the data isn't in your hands anymore.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
The naked photo you took on your phone -- and deleted -- is still around, somewhere.

In that case, I take back what I said. While I may wonder why someone would want to save something like that to their phone for that long, just taking it isn't that weird. It's pretty weird for people to go looking for it.

I even think it's weird that anyone would want to look at a naked photo of someone when they know that person didn't want anyone to see it.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, I take back what I said. While I may wonder why someone would want to save something like that to their phone for that long, just taking it isn't that weird. It's pretty weird for people to go looking for it.

I even think it's weird that anyone would want to look at a naked photo of someone when they know that person didn't want anyone to see it.

I think that goes back to the 'rape culture' someone else posted about on the first page. I don't always agree with such claims, but in this case I do. There are plenty of creepers out there who think it's perfectly okay. And that if a woman takes off her clothes for one person (or a camera, even if private), then somehow anyone 'deserves' to see it.
Not that I follow the logic myself, or agree with it, but I knew of an instant where some guy got different girls to pull up their tops in private chat sessions, then posted the lot of them online, along with the user names they went by that would identify them on a couple of particular forums. He insisted it was their fault for trusting anyone online. It really comes down to the whole victim blaming/slut shaming and with religious extremism cropping up all over the world it's more important than ever to take a strong stance against this.

Last edited:

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
I also have to wonder why people are blaming the celebrities for not using a 'secure' system (not people here, other conversations I've had in the outernet), and not the company that ensured security in their system. What the hell, apple?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I also have to wonder why people are blaming the celebrities for not using a 'secure' system (not people here, other conversations I've had in the outernet), and not the company that ensured security in their system. What the hell, apple?

Apple, Microsoft, Google, they aren't going to change squat if we don't hold them accountable.

We buy into devices that are tied to cloud architectures, and then we pretend helplessness in the face of "jailed" and otherwise restricted services?

No, camera app, you may NOT store my photos anywhere you think I may want them to be if I even knew you were doing it.

We as consumers, even the famous among us, are not responsible for the actions of some perverted cowards. But neither does it mean that we just stand helplessly in face of this activity.

Demand better. If you won't advocate for yourself, why should anyone else?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

The system itself wasn't hacked.

The published iBrute hack that exploited a vulnerability in Find My iPhone apparently wasn't used.

Even the most secure system is only as secure as the password and security questions you choose.

(By which, I'm not blaming them, but rather saying we need to continue educating less tech-savvy users.)

Addendum: Most of these exploits, particularly for high-profile individuals, tend to be coming from security questions that can be solved through public knowledge. Birthdays, mothers maiden names, hometowns, etc., aren't secure in the internet age. We could definitely use a "best practices" for security questions that can't be discovered through Wikipedia and IMDB, and for more companies to commit to them.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Well, it was only a matter of time, right?

http://time.com/3270496/jennifer-lawrence-kate-upton-hacked-naked-photos-art-show/

A Florida art gallery announced Wednesday that it will be featuring the leaked nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton in a new show.

The controversial pictures will be displayed unaltered on life-sized canvas prints as part of artist XVALA’s “Fear Google” campaign. The show features images from the past seven years of celebrities caught “in their most vulnerable and private moments, that were comprised by either hackers or the paparazzi,” according to the Cory Allen Contemporary Art gallery’s website.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm not so sure. If the "artist" (in quotes because I don't think this jackass deserves the title) were going to use the photos in an advertisement, the photographer would be able to sue. But incorporating them into artwork, well, that could be another ball of wax.

Under the fair use doctrine, you can use a copyrighted image for purposes such as criticism or comment, among other things. Here, the artist claims the purpose of the work is to make a statement on privacy (or rather, the lack thereof) in our society.

I'm hoping the fact that these images were stolen makes a difference.

ETA: I read somewhere online today (too tired to find link again tonight) that California has a law against using nude photos without asking the subject's permission, which is why the artist (who is from California) isn't doing the show there.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Apple, Microsoft, Google, they aren't going to change squat if we don't hold them accountable.

We buy into devices that are tied to cloud architectures, and then we pretend helplessness in the face of "jailed" and otherwise restricted services?

No, camera app, you may NOT store my photos anywhere you think I may want them to be if I even knew you were doing it.

We as consumers, even the famous among us, are not responsible for the actions of some perverted cowards. But neither does it mean that we just stand helplessly in face of this activity.

Demand better. If you won't advocate for yourself, why should anyone else?

THIS THIS THIS.

The number one reason I didn't purchase a very light and seemingly durable, and inexpensive Chromebook was because it pushed the user to store everything on the internet. If we aren't careful and let ourselves be lured by cheap, flashy devices and convenience, eventually this is the price we will pay.

When my spouse had an iPhone through work, he refused to sign up for iTunes, etc. on it.

The system itself wasn't hacked.

The published iBrute hack that exploited a vulnerability in Find My iPhone apparently wasn't used.

Even the most secure system is only as secure as the password and security questions you choose.

(By which, I'm not blaming them, but rather saying we need to continue educating less tech-savvy users.)

It still is the fault of Apple - if the first ten or so password attempts AND handful of security questions fail, remote access should be locked. End of story. This 'brute' exploit IS a security failure.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure. If the "artist" (in quotes because I don't think this jackass deserves the title) were going to use the photos in an advertisement, the photographer would be able to sue. But incorporating them into artwork, well, that could be another ball of wax.

Under the fair use doctrine, you can use a copyrighted image for purposes such as criticism or comment, among other things. Here, the artist claims the purpose of the work is ........ make a statement on privacy (or rather, the lack thereof) in our society[/URL].

I'm hoping the fact that these images were stolen makes a difference.

I've always found these sorts of grandiose 'statements' a bit tiresome (especially with ones that obvious) and since it's only been a few days I'd wonder how well-worked out the concept is to begin with. This smacks more of laziness and opportunism than anything else.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
What a dirtbag. "Hey, come look at my stolen naked celebrity pics which I'm pretending are an artistic 'statement'!"

Exactly. And then he/she hides under his own shroud of anonymity. Total pond scum.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Given that these pictures were not in fact taken from the cloud ("i" or otherwise) a change in subject line might be warranted.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I hate my phone. I'm a bit of a casual Luddite. It takes me a long time to adopt new technology and even longer to use it. I didn't even own a smartphone until last year.

Now I'm not totally sure what it's doing half the time. Particularly annoying is that I get icons flashing at the top of the screen. I have to touch them to read them, but if I touch them, they automatically do the thing they're saying they want to do.

So I touched an icon last night to see what it said, and it did something and then said all my photos had been uploaded somewhere. I don't know where they are, I don't know how to get them back down... :Shrug:

I suppose they were just pictures of my dog, but it would be nice if I could do these things only deliberately.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
and it did something and then said all my photos had been uploaded somewhere. I don't know where they are, I don't know how to get them back down... :Shrug:

I suppose they were just pictures of my dog,

But - was your dog NAKED ???!!!