Rejectomancy

TomKnighton

A good example of a bad example
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that one word 'slush' can be a bit depressing. But on the other hand those extra days might mean you're in a first-reader's 'second read' pile. That's what I like to tell myself!

That's what I was telling myself. However, since DSF has accepted some in this time frame recently...

Oh, and my last rejection. A 1 day from Lightspeed.

It was really more like 13 hours.

Same story shot down twice in a 24 hour span. Nah, that doesn't sting. Not even a little bit. Just because that's the second time that's happened to me in a row means I can totally take it. Right? Right?:cry:

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
I won't talk about how obsessed I am in general - but specifically, reeeeally wanna know if As!mov's changes straight from Received to their final decision since it's 16 days and no change in status. Please don't offer me categories if they're not gonna change, lol.

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
Same story shot down twice in a 24 hour span. Nah, that doesn't sting. Not even a little bit. Just because that's the second time that's happened to me in a row means I can totally take it. Right? Right?:cry:

If it was Clarkesworld followed by Lightspeed then I wouldn't read anything into that. Pretty much par for the course where they're concerned!

Speaking of which: 1 day form R, Clarkesworld.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I won't talk about how obsessed I am in general - but specifically, reeeeally wanna know if As!mov's changes straight from Received to their final decision since it's 16 days and no change in status. Please don't offer me categories if they're not gonna change, lol.
Usually, Asimov's changes from Received to Under Consideration, then to final decision. I have a story that's been there a similar length of time and also still in Received status.

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
If it was Clarkesworld followed by Lightspeed then I wouldn't read anything into that. Pretty much par for the course where they're concerned!

Yeah, it was. Still not a good feeling when the same story gets shot down that quickly. I'll deal.

It's already out again, so I'm good :)

Speaking of which: 1 day form R, Clarkesworld.

Condolences.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I was telling myself. However, since DSF has accepted some in this time frame recently...

Yeah, some will always get shot up through the ranks quicker. You'll be happy when it's yours one day!

Oh, and my last rejection. A 1 day from Lightspeed.

It was really more like 13 hours.

Sometimes if I've had one quick rejection I'll deliberately choose a slower market to give me some breathing space on rejections and possibly a new perspective on the story when it returns. If I really don't want to see it for ages, I send it to An@log ;) (Though in fairness I think their response times are shortening.)

Sorry for the other recent Rs too.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
If I really don't want to see it for ages, I send it to An@log ;) (Though in fairness I think their response times are shortening.)
Ha! That's me at tor. I do think every story i send their way is good enough for them to buy, but sometimes if i get too many quick Rs in a row i can start to second-guess whether the story is actually any good. So i've found having a bit of time between responses can be helpful in maintaining perspective.

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes if I've had one quick rejection I'll deliberately choose a slower market to give me some breathing space on rejections and possibly a new perspective on the story when it returns. If I really don't want to see it for ages, I send it to An@log ;) (Though in fairness I think their response times are shortening.).

They've had mine for 195 days right now. In another five days, I'm querying them over it.

Ha! That's me at tor. I do think every story i send their way is good enough for them to buy, but sometimes if i get too many quick Rs in a row i can start to second-guess whether the story is actually any good. So i've found having a bit of time between responses can be helpful in maintaining perspective.

Might try that next time.

It doesn't help that the next thing that sells will be my first sale, so everything gets me anxious and every rejection stings because there aren't any victories with fiction writing to offset the losses.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, of course - I wouldn't submit if I didn't think my stories were good! Even if my judgment might not always be accurate ;) Rejection can happen for lots of reasons even with a good story, so to take the sting out to not get those rejections so close together. (And sometimes with a bit more perspective, a story can go from 'good' to 'great'.)

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Finding this thread strangely cheering lately.

Tom, Thanks for cracking me up: "...of course, that was before I found out I was still in the slush.:rant: "

BTW, this is my 6th DSF sub. The only one of mine they kept more than 20 days was shortlisted -- and the bump email said fewer than 10 percent of subs make it to the 2nd round. Alas, 5 days later: form R. The unexpurgated version of that story is my first eBook.

Not sure they ever stop stinging -- the only thing I've found that helps is playing the numbers game. I keep at least 5 out to maintain some hope.

Aislinn: big rejectomania points. I think that way, too. Yes, maybe it's with the slush reader... There was a 24-day R from DSF today, but it wasn't mine.... hmmmm.

Revised a story this morning in the interest of getting more subs out.

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
Finding this thread strangely cheering lately.

Tom, Thanks for cracking me up: "...of course, that was before I found out I was still in the slush.:rant: "

I aim to please :D

BTW, this is my 6th DSF sub. The only one of mine they kept more than 20 days was shortlisted -- and the bump email said fewer than 10 percent of subs make it to the 2nd round. Alas, 5 days later: form R. The unexpurgated version of that story is my first eBook.

Good to know. Unfortunately, The Grinder has the average at about 22 days. It's not the only submission I'm past the average on, but the other in Analog, where stories go to die. :D

Not sure they ever stop stinging -- the only thing I've found that helps is playing the numbers game. I keep at least 5 out to maintain some hope.

Yeah...um...I've only got four stories ready right now.

Luckily though, the story from hell will be up for editing soon and then it can join in the fun and games.

Brad Torgerson shared this concept with me, and it's part of what got me in W1S1 in the first place.

www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=91

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Tom -- Yes, the average response time for DSF is longer than when I got that bump in August, so being past 24 days might not mean anything other than that's how long it's taking right now. I haven't tripped this much on a sub for awhile.

Whatever number of subs you can do with what you have is good. It's not the specific number, it's having multiple subs out. That way there's always something at play. The story from hell -- that's promising.

I enjoyed the DWS post on Goal Motivation. I'm going to see about starting a Keeping at It thread because I've been having challenges and that was a timely read. Thanks.

PS: An intriguing thing about Analog is the 4.29% acceptance rate reported on Grinder. That's much higher than most of the pro markets I submit to regularly.

Last edited:

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
Usually, Asimov's changes from Received to Under Consideration, then to final decision. I have a story that's been there a similar length of time and also still in Received status.

Ah, good to know. I ask because Grinder shows several rejections at the same or fewer days. Just passing the time, lol.

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
Got my 23 day form from DSF. Now I'm looking for the next victim...err....target :D

ETA: It came in last night after I had gone to bed.

That makes three rejections in two days. OUCH! Good thing the cheerleaders in high school gave me lots of practice being rejected :D

Last edited:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Sorry to hear about all the Rs, especially the latest barrage of DSF rejections.

I love how Drabblecast's submission page says something like "We're super busy, so it might be four months til we get back to you," and yet my last two subs there have been 1-day rejections :). Oh well, on to the next market.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I got my DSF rejection to add to the barrage.

At least I know my inbox still works :tongue

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I love how Drabblecast's submission page says something like "We're super busy, so it might be four months til we get back to you," and yet my last two subs there have been 1-day rejections :). Oh well, on to the next market.

...And that was followed by a 0-day rejection for the same story from Escape Pod :p. It's a re-print that I'm sending around, so it doesn't hurt too much.

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
32 day nukage from Buzzy.

Four rejections this week? This is starting to get worse than high school now.

Plus, unfortunately, this particular story is over 8,500 words which means there aren't a lot of places that will take it. There's got to be one out there though, so I'm on the hunt right now.

Yeah...I'm kind of dense that way :D

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
32 day nukage from Buzzy.

Four rejections this week? This is starting to get worse than high school now.

Plus, unfortunately, this particular story is over 8,500 words which means there aren't a lot of places that will take it. There's got to be one out there though, so I'm on the hunt right now.

Yeah...I'm kind of dense that way :D

For speculative fiction there are only a handful of pro-paying markets that will take that length.

Strange Horizons
Tor.com
Asimovs
Analog (but not so much if it's fantasy)
Beneath Ceaseless Skies (only fantasy)
Fantasy & Science Fiction
Daily Science Fiction
Buzzy Mag

However, there are some semi-pro's that you can look into once you run through the pros. (I'm sure there are more than this, but this would be whom I would try next with something that length.)

Abyss & Apex
Straeon (pubbed by the same folks as Stupefying, but different editor and he'll take up to 20k)
Stupefying Stories (closed 'til June)
GigaNotaSaurus

TomKnighton

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Aggy. I put it in at DSF, but if it doesn't fly this time through, I'm going to probably take a look at reworking it before sending it out.

It's post-apocalyptic, so that may not help its chances too much either. I don't know for certain though.

Still, at least I'm still submitting...however, at the rate this week's shaping up writing-wise, I expect to get an email from agents saying to never submit to their agencies - despite me never having queried any agents - by Friday.:rant:

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Aargh, I just got a 4-day 'please read our content' form R from Shimmer for a story I thought was the best fit story I'd ever sent them!