Rejectomancy

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
I don't know why it took me so long to find this thread. Anyone else noticing a strange stillness in their inboxes lately? Seems August must be a deathly slow month for short story markets - I have more orange and red on my Submission Grinder page than ever before.

I thought it was just my own silliness, but yes, absolutely. 50% of my subs on Duotrope are in the red. And some places I've dropped a check-in query and still nothing. It must be prime vacation time, I guess.

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
Tis con season. Worldcon just ended in London, and there are a slew of other big ones happening or just ending. Plus, yes, summer, and vacations.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
17 day form R from ASIM, resubmitted to Fantasy Scr0ll Mag.

Regretting at this point submitting pieces to places that have 90 day response times.

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the recent R's, guys.

I woke up to a 19-day R from Daily SF, my first R in some time. I'm back on the rejection train! Woot, woot!

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Double rejection from the Cr0ss3d G3nr3s 'School' issue.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Very helpful personal R from BCS editor-in-chief today. Don't know if he slushes or if it was passed up, but good to know some of what was working, as well as where it didn't work for him.

gringo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nmwhitley.com
Welp, there's my R from F&SF's electronic window. Personal, with a "Hope to see more in the future", so there's that, I guess.

I don't rejectomance much, but I was number 283 in the queue when I subbed, if that helps anyone.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Rejectolanche continues with an R from F&SF... though CC Finlay did say that my story was much better than the one I submitted to the last F&SF special issue, so it seems like I am progressing. :) Got a 'hope to see more' too.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Condolences, gringo and ACFantasy. I was number 659, so I've still got a bit of a wait. A REALLY awesome amount of personals reported here and on The Grinder... If I get a straight form R on this one, it's going to sting.

Peace
Ty

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
50 day form R from luna station quarterly.

Last edited:

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
oh, the rejectolanche I've gotten recently - the FSF, among numerous others (seriously, 2-3 a day for the past few days). But also an acceptance- so off to that thread! I guess it means I've been keeping my sub numbers up!

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Six day F R from Goldfish Grimm. Also from an agent. Both in my inbox for my wake-up email.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
2 recent rejections from Flash Fiction online and Luna Station quarterly. Expecting 2-3 more rejections very soon.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
1 day R from cl@rkesworld and 7 day from griev0us ang3l.

Does "however please do send in more of your work at a later date" mean anything? It sounds a little more strongly worded than a lot of the polite "please try again" at the end of form rejections...

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Does "however please do send in more of your work at a later date" mean anything? It sounds a little more strongly worded than a lot of the polite "please try again" at the end of form rejections...

I've been wondering that lately, too. I've gotten identical rejections with phrases like that, but I do still wonder if this is the default form they send to everyone, or if I'm somehow falling into a "send them the nicer form rejection" category. I've been marking them as form rejections even with this phrase unless they include specifics about the story itself.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Well the weird thing about the rejection it's in is that the rejection letter was a run-on sentence and I have a feeling that if they had a copy-paste form rejection it wouldn't be like that... but they didn't say anything specific about the story so I marked it as a form on the grinder.

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
Well the weird thing about the rejection it's in is that the rejection letter was a run-on sentence and I have a feeling that if they had a copy-paste form rejection it wouldn't be like that... but they didn't say anything specific about the story so I marked it as a form on the grinder.

For what it's worth, I've never received that on a rejection letter from them. Maybe it is a higher tier. (Or else the form changed? IDK)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've never received that on a rejection letter from them. Maybe it is a higher tier. (Or else the form changed? IDK)

Just to make sure, this was Griev0us Ang3l, not from Cl@rkesworld. I got the normal form from Cl@rkesworld.

Also, a 7 day personal from kz!ine.

Last edited:

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
34 day personal from stupefying... The crushing kind, not the helpful kind.