Not open for further replies.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning cantinas :Sun:

Four years ago I recall I was renovating a house, looking around I see I still am. One day, one day...

In the past 24 hours I have discovered, thanks to the wonders of t'interwebz, that I have two uncles and a cousin. From this I deduce that there is probably an aunt involved as well. My poor dad, having grown up pretty much by himself is rather confused at finding himself with family. I'm not sure what to make of it myself. If you spot me wandering aimlessly around the place, just point me at a sofa please.

Did I miss anything - other than the maggots?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those who haven't heard, there's a fantastic contest here for unpublished/unagented novel-length authors. Looks veeeeeeery interesting....

Anywho, morning gang. Whut up?

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, all! I am learning how to crochet. Also, another quiet day at work (though tomorrow looks to be super busy), so...ninja writing time! :D

GreenEpic

...because you don't know yourself
Registered
Reaction score
Well, since by the rules, people in the Cantina don't suck, you must not. Either that or your suckiness ended before you came in. Which means, since I am meeting you for the first time, any suckiness that existed before now, is only a figment of my imagination. I shall therefore decide it doesn't exist, and never did. So there :tongue

I like the way you think!

Etola

Registered
Reaction score
Well, since by the rules, people in the Cantina don't suck, you must not. Either that or your suckiness ended before you came in. Which means, since I am meeting you for the first time, any suckiness that existed before now, is only a figment of my imagination. I shall therefore decide it doesn't exist, and never did. So there :tongue

So, you're rejecting Green's reality and substituting your own? ;)

GreenEpic

...because you don't know yourself
Registered
Reaction score
So, you're rejecting Green's reality and substituting your own? ;)

I'm all for it if it doesn't make me suck :)

I accept your reality, Debio

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Friends!

Hello Cantina! I haven't been around for a while. No reason except that I suck.

:D

Yay! I was going to ask you where'd you'd been. :)

EPIC!

*tackle hug*

we missed you! we figured your sister had killed you and buried you in the back yard. Not that that precluded your return (in handy z-person form). It just slowed you down.

;)

I survived Kricket's rage. (We all know shes a little :crazy:).

An epic this verdant cannot be squashed!

Hey now! This is the sister I LIKE. Well, I like both of them, but Epic is nicer to me. I've never felt the need to kill her, and it would be a little difficult to do so from long distance.

And Epic, if I'm :crazy:, what, pray tell, does that make you? Hm? ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no spoon?

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
There never was a spoon because the cake is a lie.

Etola

Registered
Reaction score
There never was a spoon because the cake is a lie.

Oh, no, that was because I hid them both. It was an ice cream cake, and well...I kind of wanted it for myself.

Turns out, though, that ice cream cake doesn't last long in a room-temperature locked pantry. :e2bummed:

Hey, at least I have a spoon!

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no, that was because I hid them both. It was an ice cream cake, and well...I kind of wanted it for myself.

Turns out, though, that ice cream cake doesn't last long in a room-temperature locked pantry. :e2bummed:

Hey, at least I have a spoon!

Oh, yes, this makes much more sense. :D

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of some opinions guys. I'm not even half way through a book right now and I HATE it. If I had actually gotten a hard copy of this book I'd burn it.

But part of me wants to finish reading it because A) Train wrecks are always interesting to see and B) I was going to do a book review on it. Although, at this point, the review would be at least 5 pages long, and that's a little much for my blog.

So should I just push through to see how much worse it can get or should I just delete it off my Kindle and go purify my mind in some way?

Etola

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of some opinions guys. I'm not even half way through a book right now and I HATE it. If I had actually gotten a hard copy of this book I'd burn it.

But part of me wants to finish reading it because A) Train wrecks are always interesting to see and B) I was going to do a book review on it. Although, at this point, the review would be at least 5 pages long, and that's a little much for my blog.

So should I just push through to see how much worse it can get or should I just delete it off my Kindle and go purify my mind in some way?

Depends on 1) how much you value your time, 2) how much enjoyment you can get from reading something you hate (like watching Mystery Science Theater 3000), and 3) Whether you feel finishing the book is necessary to review it.

I used to always finish books, but there are so many in my TBR pile that I no longer bother with books that are just not working for me (or I try to, at least, but old habits die hard). But every reader is different, so what do you think? Do you think that any enjoyment you would get from reading this train wreck would be worth the time invested?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
For those who haven't heard, there's a fantastic contest here for unpublished/unagented novel-length authors. Looks veeeeeeery interesting....

Anywho, morning gang. Whut up?

Thanks for the link. I just entered. I don't hold much hope for succeeding, but I did try.

Nothing much up here? what about in Misfit Land?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score

Delete + brain bleach. Life is too damned short and there are too many GOOD books in the world, to waste your time on craptastic books that have no business in your world.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I just entered. I don't hold much hope for succeeding, but I did try.

Nothing much up here? what about in Misfit Land?

Hey, everything is worth a shot. I'm a firm believer that it's not about finding AN agent, but one that loves your work as much as you do. And the only way to find them is to get out there as much as you can. So good luck!

Not much shaking around here. Have to get both my bod and an old car checked out for dents tomorrow. Gooooooood times.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of some opinions guys. I'm not even half way through a book right now and I HATE it.

Life's too short for bad books, unless as a writer you think there may be some valuable object-lessons to be had from it.

Snow day here.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Morning all. I had a crazy day. No cat food, so I had to dash to the store this morning and come back and feed kitty before work.

I don't like to dash. Especially not in the morning. It also rained on me and was freezing.

I also used to finish every book. Sometimes... I still do. But now, I tell myself... wouldn't you rather be reading another Wilkie Collins or Hishuzero ShizinIneverrememberhisname? There are too many awesome books to read. I will never read them all. So now I try and close a book if it doesn't take care of my wishes by the 20% mark.

I did finish both those horribly written Blackout/All Clear books because I wanted to know what happened. So, in a small way, the author did what she was supposed to do, even tho she irritated the shit out of me doing it. I also had the delight of writing skewering reviews, but I'm evil like that.

Seriously. If someone had edited that steaming pile, it would have been one book.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Looks mostly like a chance to sit with an agent and attend a conference for free.

But you know what, that's enough for me.

:Thumbs:

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, all!

If the universe implodes, it has nothing to do with my having finished my first new story in longer than I want to admit to, AND having subbed it to a contest.

Seriously. Not my fault.

Yay!!! Good luck! :snoopy:

Looking back at what I wrote on LJ that day, it's full of a lot of stuff that, in hindsight, I wish I could have told myself to not worry about (fear of having premature twins), not care so much about (my job, which was shortly to go full-tilt into suckville) and to let go of (my novel out on submission, which broke my heart -- there's a reason I haven't managed to send out another since.)

Send more!!! It's not nearly as bad as having bugs fall on your head. Just remind yourself while you hit send of that fact and you'll be fine.

Good morning, all! I am learning how to crochet. Also, another quiet day at work (though tomorrow looks to be super busy), so...ninja writing time! :D

I actually want to learn to crochet. Not sure exactly why, but there it is.

Life's too short for bad books, unless as a writer you think there may be some valuable object-lessons to be had from it.

This.

I did finish both those horribly written Blackout/All Clear books because I wanted to know what happened. So, in a small way, the author did what she was supposed to do, even tho she irritated the shit out of me doing it. I also had the delight of writing skewering reviews, but I'm evil like that.

Seriously. If someone had edited that steaming pile, it would have been one book.

I read your review on these. It almost made me want to read them, just to witness the horror for myself. Almost.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

This.

Hello gang, from the lazy word of the unemployed slackers. I'm in my PJs. I managed to make coffee.

Potential!NewJob has been checking my references.

No snow here, just an abundance of cats.

Happy St. David's day. Get your leek or daffodil on.

Status
Not open for further replies.