Abodement August 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
wonder, the number of times I've heard "Oh, didn't I mention that?" from doctors is way too many. Very frustrating. Congratulations on the new job, though!

Nice total, lindz. :e2cheer:

1,878 today, which would be more impressive if I hadn't held on to the 0 yesterday. I need about 940 a day to hit my August word goal. I must whine less and write more!

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Popping in to wish y'all good luck and BUTT-ON SEAT. I've got a new day job as Resident Programs Coordinator for a retirement community and it has been taking a lot of my time. Still writing for my regulars and a couple new zines, I just sold a suspense article to Salon, yay. it's suspense/tech and I'll let you know when it's up.

Interesting moment: After telling my neurologist that i was seeking treatment at USC's acoustic neuroma center to TRY to get my fiction back, he told me that the rx Topomax that has essentially given me my life back has a history of interfering with word retrieval and creativity. (Can I :e2tomato: at him now?)

We can fix it by switching meds :Thumbs: but not while I'm starting a new job ... so finally an MD took me seriously? I've only told him about this at least three times before. His previous response was, "So why do you need to write fiction?" :gone:

Thanks for popping in, Lucie -- nice to hear from you! And I am aghast that he said such a thing ("why do you need to write fiction?" -- aargh!)

Got 189 new words this morning. And got some great comments and ideas from my wonderful monthly crit lunch partners on Saturday that helped jog loose some ideas for the chapter currently under revision, a chapter that has proven to be much more stubborn than anticipated.

Happy Monday, everyone!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, wonder. I'm glad the doctor finally listened and you've got an alternative to try. Fiction is fun.

Good words, everyone!

Made some good revision progress this weekend, but need to revisit the series of scenes in which the MC starts connecting all the plot threads. It feels... loose. While I should have been sleeping, I wondered if those scenes were moving too quickly. That gives me an exercise to play with tonight.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya there liz! It always feels good once it's done but some days I really drag my feet to get started.

Edited a tiny bit from yesterday and did 829 words today finishing up chapter 24. More brainstorming needed for tomorrow's chapter so that's on my to do list for the rest of the day.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Great progress, everyone!

Got in +258 words this morning and probably about the same last night before breaking off to make some vanilla-rum apple butter (yum). Now, on to old chapter 29 (new chapter 28) tonight.

Cheers!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I could be more productive if I had some vanilla-rum apple butter, vagough.

Turns out nothing for me last night. Worked late. Today, however, I am armed with chocolate.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Oh chocolate always makes things better! Good luck Namatu.

856 words this morning. Not super productive but I didn't want to start on my next scene so it will have to do. My mind is on other things right now so having trouble feeling motivated.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
1,032, which I'll cheerfully take since I didn't think I was going to write anything.

About time I got back to synopsizing again. I have had Thoughts, and I don't want to lose them.

vagough

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
I think I could be more productive if I had some vanilla-rum apple butter, vagough.

This can be arranged, namatu. :) It ended up producing quite a lot. Orders are being taken now.

Total of 306 new words this morning after quickly repolishing chapter 27 and beginning revisions on chapter 28. So far, so good!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Been really busy. Started physical therapy on Monday and we had some major flooding after a thunderstorm that was really scary. :( Nothing on Monday but yesterday I took the day off and was able to get 411 words written before my wrist started complaining. Better than 0, I say. :D

Lucie, so glad your doctor is finally listening to you. I don't like the comment though -- most people just don't /get/ why we write. Hugs.

Awesome progress everyone!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
This can be arranged, namatu. :) It ended up producing quite a lot. Orders are being taken now.
Oh, yum. One for me please!

Been really busy. Started physical therapy on Monday and we had some major flooding after a thunderstorm that was really scary. :(
I've seen the photos and still find it hard to imagine. It takes a lot to flood Michigan. Hope your flooding wasn't too bad, but since I've seen the photos... hope the flood damage is taken care of as easily as possible.

Good progress, everyone! I managed a few paragraphs last night, wrenched out despite my stupor. I'm in desperate need of a staycation.

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Bad day today. Only about ~200 words. Have a bunch of stuff going on and just couldn't get into it today.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Wow, lots of words! Don't be discouraged, lindz - that's 200 words you didn't have yesterday.

I did 354 tonight. Allowed myself to be distracted by old episodes of The Avengers.

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:cheers all progress wildly:

1,037 words last night and 585 words tonight. Hubby and I are going camping for the weekend, so I won't be back till Sunday. Go, go, go!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
No words, but I do have a synopsis. It's thin - especially the last third! - but at least I have all my current ideas in one place now.

Have fun camping, Saoirse! I hope the Weather Gods are with you.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Early morning writing session today, and I wrote a new chapter for the WIP I am revising.

1,500 words in total, so productive day.

Three chapters down now. Not thinking about how many more to go.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
3,029 tonight. I wanted to catch up, and I really needed to bury myself in words. It's not such an easy thing, balancing the need to write for sanity and the need to write for work.

Bravo, Shara - that's amazing revision work!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I've revised the three chapters that connect the dots. I'm pretty sure it makes sense now. And I got through another chapter. Only about 80 pages to go before this revision is done! Then I can move on to revising the next one.

I love to write, but it's probably the editor in me that finds the most comfort in revising. Writing is much more fun and surprising. It's got that exhilarating aspect to it that revision definitively lacks. But I do love improving what's there.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Had family over for dinner. No words tonight, but wine. Oh, my, the wine.

I did have Plotting Thoughts, and I think I've got a big chunk of worldbuilding ahead of me. But not tonight. :D

lindz

Registered
Reaction score
Was away for Friday and Saturday so didn't have reliable internet (forgot to bring my phone charger, doh!) but did have my laptop to write. Did 3912 words on the plane there and back so still managed to be productive.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Awesome work everyone!

Namatu - Our flooding wasn't too bad...just a bit in our basement, and I'm grateful for that. Getting home from PT was a bit scary but we made it.

Liz - We had great weather! Last night it did rain, on and off, but by then hubby and I were ready for bed. It was a nice trip. :D

Trying to get back into writer mode. Had my netbook with me this weekend, but I didn't feel up to writing. I don't know why. Anyhoo, gonna shoot for at least 400 words today.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Saoirise, glad the flooding wasn't too bad - and that you didn't get flooded on your drive home.

I am happy to announce that I have finished my revision! On to the next book.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
1,263 tonight, but more importantly I'm starting to stage things in my head. I've really started writing this one too early, but it does help me work things out when I hang out with my characters for a while.