Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
@raburrell:

I take some issue with both those 9 myths and with Vox's responses, but I don't disagree in broad.

People in general will attempt to distill an issue into easy points. That distillation doesn't always keep the full truth intact. We have to watch ourselves taking these distillations too literally.

I think that's what's behind those myths. They're not totally wrong. Just missing pieces.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Yes - as we know as writers, there's often some truth. I like their approach, trying to distill complex topics into more digestible pieces, but there's no doubt some nuance left out. Happy to try to address anything that might've jumped out at you in particular if you'd like :)

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
OK now this has me worried:

ISIS Captures Major Air Base in Syria

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/isis-captures-major-air-base-in-syria/

BEIRUT - Activists say Islamic State of Iraq and Syria fighters have captured a major military air base in northeastern Syria, eliminating the last government-held outpost in an area dominated by the extremist group.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says the jihadis broke through the Tabqa air field's defenses Sunday and routed the government forces.

Observatory director Rami Abdurrahman says some army troops also withdrew from the base, and the Islamic State group is now in full control of the facility.

So what does this mean? What military capabilities will ISIS have now? I wish the report had more information and analysis, but this does sound frightening.

ETA: this article from The Financial Times has a little more information:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ffc2da80-2ba3-11e4-b052-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3BLnoXURK

Observatory head Rami Abdelrahman said the Isis victory would weaken Mr Assad’s overwhelming air power in the region, as Tabqa was an important base for Syrian fighter jets.

“Not only will this hurt the regime’s air strike capabilities in northern Syria, more importantly, it will be a major psychological blow for its supporters,” he said.

Isis militants posted pictures of a Russian MiG plane they claimed to have seized, but the images have not been verified. Mr Abdelrahman said most of the aircraft on the base had been moved and those that remained were probably damaged.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Very interesting, al-Nusra, another organization with a penchant for nabbing and holding Westerners, has released journalist, Peter Theo Curtis, in what could be interpreted as a move to distance themselves from ISIS and their recent atrocities. (ISIS and al_Nusra aren't cooperative organizations and have clashed before.)

Al-Nusra had Curtis for two years.

Curtis' release comes just five days after ISIS militants released a video of one of its militants beheading American journalist James Foley.
"Particularly after a week marked by unspeakable tragedy, we are all relieved and grateful knowing that Theo Curtis is coming home after so much time held in the clutches of (al-Nusra Front)," U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said in a statement.
When asked about the death of James Foley, an American journalist killed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria last week, Nancy Curtis began to weep. "I feel so bad for their family. Diane (Foley's mother) has become a good friend of mine, and I'm just so heartbroken for their loss."

Interestingly, this comes as a huge relief for another captive journalist, Matthew Schrier,who was imprisoned in the same cell with Peter Theo Curtis and escaped with Curtis' help. (Curtis boosted him through a window and got stuck when Schrier tried to pull him through.)

I can only imagine the elation and relief that Schrier must feel after some pretty crushing guilt.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
They have a suspect:
British intelligence agencies MI5 and MI6 have identified the man suspected of the horrific beheading of American journalist James Foley, according to British media reports.
The hooded man with an English accent is believed to be 23-year-old Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, known to fellow Islamic State militants as Jihadi John.
http://www.smh.com.au/world/rapper-...er-reports-20140824-107w1i.html#ixzz3BQbxDeQN

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
The problem with the WBC comparison is that they are almost universally regarded as loathsome caricatures and/or jokes. They have signs, megaphones, and lawsuits.

ISIS has an army. And they are not alone.