9-year old accidentally shoots instructor with Uzi

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Putting all taste aside (and we must do this the minute some moron takes it upon themselves to teach a nine-year old how to use an Uzi), the best prevention for this type of thing happening again is one of those side by side photos of THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON...

Maybe a caption THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON READING TO KIDS with a photo of man with a child in his lap turning pages in a book, alongside a caption of THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON TEACHING A NINE-YEAR OLD HOW TO USE AN UZI with a photo of a man with his head blown open, in a pool of blood.

This story would have made me sickeningly irate, even if it ended with the man going home alive without injury. What is wrong with a world that thinks it's okay to teach a nine-year old how to use an Uzi? What is wrong with the kid's parents, what is wrong with a society that doesn't have laws against it, what is wrong with an instructor who thinks it's a good idea?

Not one person in Canada died yesterday while teaching a nine-year old how to use an Uzi.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
In a controlled environment like a well-managed shooting range, I don't see a problem with letting children experience a perfectly legal activity. There are laws surrounding fully automatic weapons that may come into play here, but otherwise, we allow children to engage in supervised risky activity.

I feel sorry for the girl. She's going to blame herself for this, and she has no blame to take on. I hope she gets counseling. Fast and intensive.

This incident is entirely on the instructor. Single fire recoil is NOTHING like full-auto recoil. For the first use, the instructor should have had her arm under control the entire time. And if the facility allows their instructors to simply sit back like this, the facility is at fault, too.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Even at a gun range, is it legal for a 9-year old to use an uzi? Most states set the legal lower limit at 12 for competitive rifle and hunting licenses. I know the article says that the range requires the kids to be at least 8 and accompanied by an adult, but policy isn't the same as legality.

The paper reported that the girl had successfully fired the 9mm weapon several times in “single-shot” mode before Vacca changed the setting to “fully automatic” mode.

Why? Why would anyone hand a nine-year old kid (we're talking someone likely in the under five-feet, and under 100 pound size range) a fully automatic weapon that will make grown men twitch from the kickback?

Now, not only has someone been killed, but a nine-year old child will have to grow up knowing she killed someone. Her classmates will know. her friends will know. Things like that change how people interact with someone.

And who in their right mind takes a kid to a place where the main draw is that it "creates a desert-storm like atmosphere?" Why would you want your 9-year old kid to experience a war zone as a 1st person shooter in real life?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's ridiculous and stupid. A 9-year-old has no legitimate need to learn to use an Uzi. I'm sorry her parents were idiots to get her involved in this, and I'm sorry they apparently or perhaps obviously chose a complete fuckwit to "instruct" her. I hope CPS looks into this family for the way they exposed their child to devastating trauma. The stupidity of humans knows no bounds.

Just because you shat out a kid, you do not have some right to fuck it all up like this.

Disgusting.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In a controlled environment like a well-managed shooting range, I don't see a problem with letting children experience a perfectly legal activity. There are laws surrounding fully automatic weapons that may come into play here, but otherwise, we allow children to engage in supervised risky activity.

I feel sorry for the girl. She's going to blame herself for this, and she has no blame to take on. I hope she gets counseling. Fast and intensive.

This incident is entirely on the instructor. Single fire recoil is NOTHING like full-auto recoil. For the first use, the instructor should have had her arm under control the entire time. And if the facility allows their instructors to simply sit back like this, the facility is at fault, too.

really? You don't have a problem with a 9 year old handling a powerful gun like an Uzi? Why would any responsible parent even consider it acceptable?

I feel sorry for the girl too, but if anyone's to blame it's her parents for even letting her near something like that. They deserve a Darwin award.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It's ridiculous and stupid. A 9-year-old has no legitimate need to learn to use an Uzi. I'm sorry her parents were idiots to get her involved in this, and I'm sorry they apparently or perhaps obviously chose a complete fuckwit to "instruct" her. I hope CPS looks into this family for the way they exposed their child to devastating trauma. The stupidity of humans knows no bounds.

Just because you shat out a kid, you do not have some right to fuck it all up like this.

Disgusting.

+1

This.

Times infinity!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
really? You don't have a problem with a 9 year old handling a powerful gun like an Uzi? Why would any responsible parent even consider it acceptable?

I feel sorry for the girl too, but if anyone's to blame it's her parents for even letting her near something like that. They deserve a Darwin award.

She should be removed from their care IMMEDIATELY.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com

Disgusting.

Yup. I blame the parents, the instructor, and the shooting range.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The Guardian article says no charges will be filed against the gun range, so I guess it was all legal.

I read the sheriff's office press release for that day for Mohave County. There were three incidents reported. Two were accidental shootings.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
This situation is perfectly legal in Arizona.

Arizona permits minors below the age of fourteen to possess firearms with an accompanying "parent, grandparent or guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with the consent of the unemancipated person's parent or guardian".

Between the ages of fourteen and seventeen there are specific exceptions allowing them to carry without an adult, but Arizona has no lower limit on the age of the minor possessing the firearm.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03111.htm

This gun range is reported to have a minimum age of eight.

Therefore, this situation was perfectly legal according to the laws of Arizona and perfectly within the regulations of the gun range.

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com

You appear to be placing the law in very high regard. You must have a lot more confidence in legislators than I do.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't think anyone is questioning the legality of this. I think what is being questioned is why anyone in their right mind would think it's a good idea for it to be legal.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I don't think anyone is questioning the legality of this. I think what is being questioned is why anyone in their right mind would think it's a good idea for it to be legal.

Well, exactly. Rob said "I don't see a problem with letting children experience a perfectly legal activity". My point was that I do see a problem with it when it's a fucking ridiculous and downright dangerous idea. The legality doesn't make it ok, imho.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well, exactly. Rob said "I don't see a problem with letting children experience a perfectly legal activity". My point was that I do see a problem with it when it's a fucking ridiculous and downright dangerous idea. The legality doesn't make it ok, imho.

exactly. that it is on the books as legal for a child to have an automatic weapon in their hands is downright fuckwadian.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This. Anything, legal or not, that is a serious risk of your 9-year-old blowing someone's head off is a bad, bad, bad idea.

That this isn't simply obvious to everyone (most notably the parents of the child in question, and her instructor) is probably the scariest thing about this story.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Had she not blown his head off, how would she be able to incorporate this new skill into her life today, the day after? How? How the fuck?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
In the interest of trying to wrap my head around this, as an outsider Canadian, I have a scenario...

A video exactly the same as the one making its rounds about this tragic story circulates on the internet with a Muslim man teaching a nine-year old Muslim child (or ISIS or WHATEVER) how to work an automatic weapon. Nobody dies.

How irate would people be about the nine-year old waving the automatic weapon? How wrong would it be then?

Might as well go for a soda, nobody drowns and nobody dies...

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
This is just horrific, and exactly what I was talking about with the GUNS FUCK YEAH! attitude that some people have.

There is no reason on this earth why a 9-year-old girl should be handling an Uzi. None. I don't care what the law does or doesn't say about it, any parent who takes just a moment to think about the best and worst case scenario would know that the law isn't the only thing at play here.

The number of lives ruined by this one decision is tragic. The girl. The instructor. The instructor's family. How many people have to pay the price for one young child to experience something no one of that age has any reason to know just because no one thought to make it illegal?

But hey, GUNS FUCK YEAH! Give a kid too young to be left home alone in many states a fucking automatic weapon to shoot. What's the worst that could happen?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It does look like automatic weapons, but not semi-automatic ones, are prohibited in Arizona (along with silencers, sawed-off shotguns, and nunchakus).

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03101.htm

Persons in Arizona who are prohibited from possessing firearms include convicted felons and undocumented and nonimmigrant aliens, although the latter are allowed if they have a hunting permit valid somewhere in the US or are visiting a gun show or shooting event.

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In the interest of trying to wrap my head around this, as an outsider Canadian, I have a scenario...

A video exactly the same as the one making its rounds about this tragic story circulates on the internet with a Muslim man teaching a nine-year old Muslim child (or ISIS or WHATEVER) how to work an automatic weapon. Nobody dies.

How irate would people be about the nine-year old waving the automatic weapon? How wrong would it be then?

Might as well go for a soda, nobody drowns and nobody dies...

This.
Can anybody say 'double standards'?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Dude, I can't wrap my head around this as someone living in Texas with relatives living in the same town who have to carry live firearms in their truck every day (it's a working ranch).

People around here teach their kids to shoot hunting rifles at a fairly young age out of necessity, but they don't start with live rounds, and they certainly don't get handed fully automatic military-grade weaponry. They get air guns and the rifle their great-grandfather used.

Even the kids who compete in pistol events for the rodeo don't use live ammo. They fire non-ballistic black powder at balloons!

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch

Actually, I kind of have a problem with anyone handling a powerful gun like an Uzi... (that isn't military or police, or anything remotely like that.)

Why would anyone need to know how to handle a weapon like this?