Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Finished Nano so finally clocking some game time!

So far I'm finding it enjoyable. The look is gorgeous. It's not got its hooks into me as much as DAO, or even DA2 (so far)... I think because I liked the slightly slower, more personal start to the previous games storywise. There's a lot going on with this installment and its all very busy.

That said, I've every confidence I'm going to get more absorbed as it goes on. :D

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say I hate you all for having already played it. I might rent it this week, so I'll forgive you then.

MrCasperTom

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say I hate you all for having already played it. I might rent it this week, so I'll forgive you then.

You'll need more than a week. I've logged 20+ hours and only completed the first major plot point.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
You'll need more than a week. I've logged 20+ hours and only completed the first major plot point.

Someone told me that everything up until you reach Skyhold is just a prologue. I thought they were full of shit.

Lo and behold, they were right. This game is big.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone else already posted this or has noticed but on one map (I can't remember which one, just that it was dark) I looked over in the distance and saw a giant fighting a huge black dragon.

It brought a tear to my eye.

I also made sure to avoid that area until I level up some more, much like I'm avoiding the dragon in The Hinterlands for now (but I want those last three shards!).

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Was it breathing electricity? That's the Storm Coast.

I hear that if you go over there, the dragon flies away and you get to fight the giant by itself. Haven't tried it yet, though.

MrCasperTom

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah the dragon flew away from me and just fought the giant. You can also just sit back and watch them fight.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, that's good. The one in the upper right corner of the Hinterlands kept blasting me with fire while I was looking through the Oculus. :(

I'm at level 15 (knife-wielding Rogue) and am gonna wait until I'm at least 17 and can carry better daggers until I try to take on of those suckers. My fire resistance is a lot higher now (no spoilers, but there's a way to jack up your resistance 6 to 8 points without using any belts, rings, or amulets) and I have a few of the "Superior Fire Resistance" belts, so I'm gonna be ready when I do finally go. Watch out, dragon!

Last edited:

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, that's good. The one in the upper right corner of the Hinterlands kept blasting me with fire while I was looking through the Oculus. :(

The Hinterlands Dragon:
Don't quote me on this as I haven't tried this, but my boyfriend says if you "disengage" your party members and run all the way through the dragon's lair to the other end, it will fly away and leave you alone.

Hoping this works because when I was up there, it blasted me to death.

And unfortunately, I'm getting more crashes. I've lowered my graphics to high instead of ultra. My boyfriend had to lower his all the way to low because his computer was having black screen crashes (Nvidia driver errors).

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
The Hinterlands Dragon:
Don't quote me on this as I haven't tried this, but my boyfriend says if you "disengage" your party members and run all the way through the dragon's lair to the other end, it will fly away and leave you alone.
But I wantz to keel it!

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Someone told me that everything up until you reach Skyhold is just a prologue. I thought they were full of shit.

Lo and behold, they were right. This game is big.

I was terrified at first that the last major mission before Skyhold was the final already. I had to convince myself to do it. I thought I'd done something wrong.

Was it breathing electricity? That's the Storm Coast.

I hear that if you go over there, the dragon flies away and you get to fight the giant by itself. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Certainly does. "Level 8?" says I. "Bah." So, the Inquisitor and his suspiciously unquestioning allies marched into battle with a giant twice their level.

Were it not for Bianca...

MrCasperTom

Registered
Reaction score
But I wantz to keel it!

If you run through the first bit of the 'valley' the dragon flies away to the second part. Then you get to kill it.

Note: Bring the Iron Bull. You won't regret it after.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Note: Bring the Iron Bull. You won't regret it after.

Always bring The Iron Bull. Always. He has the best banter with everyone. A lot of it dirty. A lot of it concerned with the other party members' self-love habits. Bonus points if you roll with TIB and Dorian. :evil

I'm still in shock from the post-credit cut scene. I did not see that coming. *says no more*

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Always bring The Iron Bull. Always. He has the best banter with everyone. A lot of it dirty. A lot of it concerned with the other party members' self-love habits. Bonus points if you roll with TIB and Dorian. :evil

Minor spoiler: I'm guessing you know what happens if you don't romance either of them. They hook up. It's wonderful. Too bad it's not likely to happen in any of my playthroughs.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
^ Yup, exactly what I was talking about. Was delightful to watch develop.

(I should have listened when Sheryl Chee warned people months and months ago that the Blackwall romance was gonna hurt. :( But he said so many nice things about honor in that light burr...)

Last edited:

MrCasperTom

Registered
Reaction score

I'm still in shock from the post-credit cut scene. I did not see that coming. *says no more*

I like the Iron Bull but I tend to roll with Blackwall as I like having a Sword/Shield tank (I COULD re-spec Iron Bull but I just don't want to take away the two-handedness).

Also, as I'm only like 1/3 (I think) of the way through I have one question without any spoilers needed... Is the ending good?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I found the end to the game itself kind of standard. Three-part boss fight endemic to most RPGs, then a little wrap up party with your companions (those who stay, though I didn't lose anyone), then some brief narration of after effects. I was disappointed at first since it seemed too neat. Sure, whomever is the next Divine, blah blah blah, but it didn't feel like enough to continue the series on.

Then the scene after the credits ... I won't white it out because the spoilers are that huge and I really would hate to spoil it - but I am salivating for the next game. They opened up a huge thread of possibility. All I'll say is this: brush up on your ancient elven lore.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I found the end to the game itself kind of standard. Three-part boss fight endemic to most RPGs, then a little wrap up party with your companions (those who stay, though I didn't lose anyone), then some brief narration of after effects. I was disappointed at first since it seemed too neat. Sure, whomever is the next Divine, blah blah blah, but it didn't feel like enough to continue the series on.

Then the scene after the credits ... I won't white it out because the spoilers are that huge and I really would hate to spoil it - but I am salivating for the next game. They opened up a huge thread of possibility. All I'll say is this: brush up on your ancient elven lore.

So, I'm taking from this that they did a good job, yes? They didn't pull a Mass Effect? How does it compare with DAO in terms of satisfaction? Did your decisions have an effect on the final outcome?

Because how they handled the finale is really my final query before giving them some money.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score

Haha, I've been rolling with Iron Bull almost non-stop. It's funny to hear him flirt, but in a submissive way, with Vivienne if she's with your group.

I like Varric's banter, too, but his precious Bianca is such a weak weapon, I've been rolling with my double-bladed Rogue Inquisitor, Dorian (he has some of the best lines!), Iron Bull and either Cassandra or the grey warden guy (his special power is really good for fighting hordes) for some of these maps so I can destroy any giants I come across.

Anyone have any tips on killing dragons?

btw, I finally did the Grey Warden story mission and loved it. I think I have three more story missions left but I'm still running around doing side quests. I'm about 70 hours into the game and there's still so much content left. Love it.

Can't wait to see what kinds of DLC they come up with.

This also gives me high hopes for ME4 too.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm taking from this that they did a good job, yes? They didn't pull a Mass Effect? How does it compare with DAO in terms of satisfaction? Did your decisions have an effect on the final outcome?

Because how they handled the finale is really my final query before giving them some money.

Satisfying, yes. The storyline itself and most of the subplots (all the major ones) achieve good closure. I'm not sure yet if what you do has huge ramifications beyond a few worldwide things (who becomes Divine, what happens to the Wardens as a group, Orlais' emperor/empress, etc). Much like DA:O in those respects. But it doesn't go into what happens with companions afterward, or your Inquistor - so I have a feeling we'll see them again.

I did miss Bodahn and Sandal, though.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Satisfying, yes. The storyline itself and most of the subplots (all the major ones) achieve good closure. I'm not sure yet if what you do has huge ramifications beyond a few worldwide things (who becomes Divine, what happens to the Wardens as a group, Orlais' emperor/empress, etc). Much like DA:O in those respects. But it doesn't go into what happens with companions afterward, or your Inquistor - so I have a feeling we'll see them again.

I did miss Bodahn and Sandal, though.

Awesome. Thank you. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Some guy on twitter is on about the game being a disaster, especially for PC, and its possibly being the death knell for EA, since sales are dropping off sharply. Anyone know what the problem might be here? Anyone know if there's any truth to it being full of bugs for this platform?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.