• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What word did you just look up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
So, several times the past few months, I've caught myself trying to use words in my writing that I didn't actually know the meaning to. I thought it might be fun/informative/helpful for us to list those words. So, the question is, what word did you last have to look up?

Thrum

1. Noun. A continuous, rhythmic, humming sound.

2. Verb. Make a continuous, rhythmic, humming sound.

Weird. I just looked this word up a few days ago. I was looking for a word for the sound that a steady, heavy rain makes on the roof.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Tonight's word:

Stoic

1. A person that can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.

2. A member of the ancient philosophical school of Stoicism.

Huh, not what I was expecting considering some of the ways I've seen it used. (As well as how I was trying to use it.)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
"Canst." It is a word according to MS Word's spell check. As to the definition that'll have to wait. Canst wasn't in my dictionary. I'm hoping it is an antiquated version of "can."

While on the page in my dictionary I made use of the opportunity to check out the meaning of "careen" which was only two pages away. Now I get the joke.

I'm always getting confused between the verbs 'career' and 'careen'.

For writers, they're the same thing.

:-D

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Weird. I just looked this word up a few days ago. I was looking for a word for the sound that a steady, heavy rain makes on the roof.

I don't think I've ever heard the word "thrum", but I have seen thrummed and thrumming many times.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Patter is the more common word, but thrum, thrummed or thrumming all work, too.
Patter does work. That is what I used the first time. But I wanted something that had a deeper, more intense sound to it. It's for that really heavy rain that comes just before the storm hits in force.

I wish everyone in the world held the same emotional and/or sensory images about particular words that I do. This writing thing would be so much easier. :tongue

This is why I use my thesaurus. It reminds me of all the cool words that aren't at the tip of my tongue.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"Canst." It is a word according to MS Word's spell check. As to the definition that'll have to wait. Canst wasn't in my dictionary. I'm hoping it is an antiquated version of "can."

2nd person singular. Thou canst use it to thy heart's content, if thou art among thy friends and it pleaseth thee to speak thus informally.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
2nd person singular. Thou canst use it to thy heart's content, if thou art among thy friends and it pleaseth thee to speak thus informally.

Thnx.
So I guess I wouldn't be able to use canst with "they?"
"They canst sing a tune together."
Is there a antiquated can that'd go with they?
(Not all that up on grammatical terminology.)

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just copied this out of an internet verb conjugation site.

Present
I canst
you canst
he/she/it cansts
we canst
you canst
they canst

Here's the link
http://conjugator.reverso.net/conjugation-english-verb-canst.html

No. WRONG. That would work if the verb was "canst", but it's not -- "canst" is the 2nd person singular of "can."

The correct conjugation is:
I can
Thou canst
He/she/it can
We can
You can
They can

In other words, "they canst" is a grammatical solecism. Use it only if you want people to laugh and point at your writing.

The thing that's confusing you is that the 2nd person singular dropped out of ordinary English usage in the 17th century. We don't grow up with "thou/thee/thy/thine" the way we do with "I/me/my/mine", so they get mixed up or used incorrectly. We don't hear the 2nd person singular verb forms, so they sound strange & we don't know what to do with them. They're no different from any other verb form, you just have to recognize them and understand when you need them and when you don't.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No. WRONG. That would work if the verb was "canst", but it's not -- "canst" is the 2nd person singular of "can."

I can
Thou canst
He/she/it can
We can
You can
They can

In other words, "they canst" is a grammatical solecism. Use it only if you want people to laugh and point at your writing.

The thing that's confusing you is that the 2nd person singular dropped out of ordinary English usage in the 17th century. We don't grow up with "thou/thee/thy/thine" the way we do with "I/me/my/mine", so they get mixed up or used incorrectly. We don't hear the 2nd person singular verb forms, so they sound strange & we don't know what to do with them. They're no different from any other verb form, you just have to recognize them and understand when you need them and when you don't.

I wonder how many had to look up "solecism"?

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score

I can
Thou canst
He/she/it can
We can
You can
They can

Thank you! :) Ken, sorry to have steered you wrong!

lemonhead

Life isn't all beer and skittles.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahnicolelemon.com
backwater swamp

apparently it's just longhand for "bayou" (slow moving water off a lake or river, NOT a bay or other sea-water). So I used tidal.

Jett.

House: RumNcoke; Sigil: Jelly Donut
Registered
Reaction score
weeble

I guess it's better to image-google it...

Status
Not open for further replies.