• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What word did you just look up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I just had to look up the declension for Maður.

Not very writing related, I'm afraid.

SkyeScribble

Child
Registered
Reaction score
I looked up the world "unconfrontational" which isn't correct; "non-confrontational" is the better way to say that.

"Menial" means "not requiring much skill" not "inconsequential" as I thought. Strait is a body of water, not straight. Preemptively is the correct spelling despite the weird double-e.
"Moraic" describes a language or phonology with heavy focus on syllabic rhythm, such as Japanese.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Moraic is one I've never met before. I gather it's part of the technical linguistic vocabulary?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Strait is a body of water, not straight. Preemptively is the correct spelling despite the weird double-e.

"Strait" is also one of my favorite country singers. Can you have George Strait in a straight strait?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Slightly off topic, but I need to use the term 'water main' right off that bat in my story, but do people generally understand what a water main is?

Those who don't can probably tell from context. It's a fairly common term, I'd think... but, then, there's always That Person, the one who not only doesn't but won't figure things out, complaining all the way. (Don't write for That Person; they aren't worth it.)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but I need to use the term 'water main' right off that bat in my story, but do people generally understand what a water main is?

Hmmm.... it's that thing that breaks and floods the street & messes up traffic, yeah? You never hear them mentioned otherwise...does a water main actually exist without a break?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
interpose - I could guess from the Latin etymology, but I wanted to ensure I was getting it's usage right. Semantics can be tricky...

(it was because someone I'm betaing for used 'impose' in a weird way, and I thought what they really meant was interpose or interject)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Hmmm.... it's that thing that breaks and floods the street & messes up traffic, yeah? You never hear them mentioned otherwise...does a water main actually exist without a break?

We had no water for most of a day recently because a water main broke. Didn't flood anything, though.

They're in the category of things you take for granted until they're broken.

Avuncular: kind or friendly, like an uncle.

Reading a novel right now sprinkled with little gems like that. The author's vocabulary is phenomenal.

As an aunt, I object to the lack of the word "avauncular."

Last edited:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
You want my what? :poke: :tongue

You mean vant? As in, "I vant to suck your blood"?

images

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I recently had to look up the artist for "Afternoon Delight" as I had recently watched the always hilarious Anchorman. "San Diego, which in German translates to, a whale's vagina–" Classic Ron.

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score

That's why the broken water main makes the waterfall in my story "enchanted"

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
petrichor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor

I love this word, but torn as to whether I should use it to describe the arrival of monsoon season in India . . .

Petrichor (/ˈpɛtrɨkɔər/) is the scent of rain on dry earth, or the scent of dust after rain. The word is constructed from Greek, petros, meaning stone + ichor, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology. It is defined as "the distinctive scent which accompanies the first rain after a long warm dry spell".[1]

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Erudite: having or showing great knowledge or learning.

I saw it, knew I recognized it, but had to look it up. Ironic too, since I kind of should be considered "having knowledge", especially about words, with my Ph.D. in linguistics and all.

And then, I had to double check if knowledge is spelled with a d or not. That always gets me.

So this is me- learning to laugh at myself sometimes :)

jari_k

Registered
Reaction score
shambolic

adjective
(informal) completely disorganized; chaotic

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor

I love this word, but torn as to whether I should use it to describe the arrival of monsoon season in India . . .

Petrichor (/ˈpɛtrɨkɔər/) is the scent of rain on dry earth, or the scent of dust after rain. The word is constructed from Greek, petros, meaning stone + ichor, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology. It is defined as "the distinctive scent which accompanies the first rain after a long warm dry spell".[1]

As I usually do with such words, I prefer using a bit of the definition to using the word itself. Something like, The long awaited rain began to fall, releasing the distinctive and wonderful smell of dry and dusty earth coming back to life.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
"Adaptivity". It was for work, not writing. Apparently it is "a word".

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Periaktoi, for the spelling, not 'periactoid' like I'd always assumed.

(I should cross-post this one to the 'read not heard' thread as a 'heard but never seen' word.)

Periaktos (plural form Periaktoi, from Greek revolving) is a device used for displaying and rapidly changing theatre scenes. It was first mentioned in Vitruvius' book on architecture, De architectura (c. 14 BC) but its most intense use began in Renaissance theatre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periaktos

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Knowing my nocturnal habits, a friend just asked me if I was 'diurnal' at the moment. I thought she was asking me if I had the runs ;)

diurnal

[dahy-ur-nl]
adjective

1. of or pertaining to a day or each day; daily.

2. of or belonging to the daytime (opposed to nocturnal ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.