• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How did you become a great writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
How do you push yourself as a writer? I believe I am a good writer, but I want to be great. I am willing to do the work, but I'm not sure what else I could be doing. I try to write 5,000 to 10,000 words a week. That is divided up between short stories and my book. Also, the occasional essay. I try to write a story a week, but sometimes it takes me a little longer if I spend more time on my book. My goal there is a chapter a week. I am also in school for writing and take it very seriously. I know there is some debate on how useful writing school is, but for me it has made a difference. I read a lot, about a book a week and some shorter pieces.

Though I am making progress, I feel like it is a slow process. What else can I do? What do you do to up your writing skills? Or do these things just take time? I can't help but compare myself to other writers and not just famous ones. Some of the people I go to school with are amazing. There is one girl who is really good. I have watched her writing get better and better with each story she writes. Why isn't the same happening to me?

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Don't compare! It's hard not to, but it will get you down in the long run!!! :)

Frustartion is universal, though. E.g., I read. I write. I edit. I read some more. Then I cry a bit in frustration. Then I read some more. Then I edit again. Then cry out some more frustration that it doesn't feel right. Then I'm published, then it all starts over again...

It's just an ongoing process that every writer goes through, so you're not alone. :)

But to improve, I write the manuscript first, then edit with a key focus: perfecting character voice, then pace. It's my set routine and comfort zone. I also edit for a living, so the two are constantly in flux with each other. My final edit will be technical.

But to write, you need to read, then you need to learn, and apply.

Are you reading works in your target genre?

Mary_MO

Registered
Reaction score
I have the same problem sometimes, so what I did was stop reading for awhile. I concentrate on writing my novel because I tend to get distracted with other writer's style of writing. Since my knowledge on writing stems from reading books, I research things on the internet that I don't understand or want to learn more about how to write.

I started writing my novel again four months ago, the idea I've had for over 3 years. When I wrote my first two page draft and showed it to someone that first time which was when I came up with the idea, I was rudely laughed at. It has taken me so long to finally get the courage to try again, so don't compare yourself to anyone else.

Keep practicing and stop worrying about what she's doing. It's not a race, concentrate on improving your own skills and you'll get where you want to be.

Good luck!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
There is one girl that is really good. I have watched her writing get better and better with each story she writes. Why isn't the same happening to me?

I look upon things like that as proof that God loves some people more than others.

(That wasn't very helpful, was it?)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'm a great writer?

*buffs fingernails on shirtfront*

Ahem.

gettingby, it sounds like you're doing everything you can, and this isn't a quick process.

If it helps at all, I compare myself to (certain) writers constantly. Sometimes it spurs me on, but sometimes it discourages me, and I wish I could break the habit. I'm me. I'm never going to be able to write 5000 words a day consistently or work on two manuscripts at once. Just like you're you, and you probably have skills that others lack.

Hope this helps.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard not to compare yourself to someone else, but don't. I'd like to pass along two gems of advice.

Neil Gaimen: Tell your story. There's always going to be someone smarter than you, better than you, but no one can tell a story like you. No one can tell a Neil Gaimen story except me.

Jim Butcher: You're not competing against established authors like me, Brandon Sanderson, or George R. R. Martin. You're competing against other newbies who're trying to break in.

As for the girl you mentioned, how many times did she rewrite those stories? How much time did she spend out of class reading advice columns or reading other people's work? You won't improve much from writing one first draft to the next.

And some people just take longer to perfect their craft. That's ok. The most important thing is to make sure you're doing this because you want to, it's the greatest passion in your life.

My advice is to keep writing.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
There is one girl that is really good. I have watched her writing get better and better with each story she writes. Why isn't the same happening to me?
Because you're not her. Everybody is different and some things come easier, and some come harder. Are you even sure you're not improving the same way, because that's something I've seen a lot, is someone thinking they haven't gotten better, in art, or writing, but when an outside observer like me, pulls out something they did a year ago, and compares it to what they did today, the improvement is clear, but they missed it because they were just too close.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Because you're not her. Everybody is different and some things come easier, and some come harder. Are you even sure you're not improving the same way, because that's something I've seen a lot, is someone thinking they haven't gotten better, in art, or writing, but when an outside observer like me, pulls out something they did a year ago, and compares it to what they did today, the improvement is clear, but they missed it because they were just too close.

+1

To you, you're just picking up your feet and setting them down, over and over and over again. To the outsider, you're walking - sometimes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes uphill or down, but always moving. Look around you once in a while, and you'll notice the terrain looks different... but your feet always look the same, and if you just stare at them going up and down, of course you're going to feel you're going nowhere.

In other words, give yourself a break. Take a breath, take a step back. And, as others said, that girl you're watching who is improving so much is probably thinking the same thing you are - why isn't she getting any better, like that other person across the aisle in class?

(For an art-related anecdote I read on another site, someone was once at a con where, IIRC, both James Gurney and Michael Whelan were in attendance. In the art show, they saw Gurney looking at one of Whelan's paintings with "that look" - the hand-to-mouth look of envy and despair that says "Oh, my gosh, I can't paint!" Further down the way, they say Whelan looking at one of Gurney's works with the same look. These are both top, professional-level artists, whom most aspiring fans would give their right arm and their grandmothers to paint like... and even they were seeing things that they thought they couldn't do in the others' works.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe I am a good writer, but I want to be great. I am willing to do the work

<snip>

Since this isn't the Conquering Challenges page, I'm going to go out on a limb and say: well - she may have a whole lot more natural talent than you. Or she may not. She may be setting clearer goals for herself: and they might be good goals - or they might not. Her writing might be better suited to the teachers taste than yours: or she might be doing better this year, and might slow down next year - or she might not. But in any case, creative writing isn't something you can realistically grade for comparative purposes.

If you read a lot, if you re-read your own writing with a critical eye, if you read other people's work with a critical faculty, if you discuss what you read, and listen to other people discussing what they read, you'll learn more and more, and your writing will benefit from that.

ETA: You say she's a 'girl' and that you're in 'school', so I'm assuming teen. You don't have an About Me and although I found your intro thread, it didn't say much about you. If I've misjudged your age (here in Australia 'school' finishes at around age 17) then - sorry!

ETA: Oh, ps. I'm not a great writer. Because - see avatar - no thumbs. :(

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone says don't compare yourself to others. Bullshit. How in God's name can you read everything with words on it, and not compare? And why on earth would you not want to compare. Will doing so damage your fragile ego beyond repair? If so, go find something to do that doesn't require talent or competition or judgment.

Maybe modern art.

I compare myself to Ray Bradbury, and come up a mile short. So what? This doesn't mean I hang my head in shame and stop writing. It means i see where my shortcomings are, and try to improve them. I also compare myself to a couple of writers I won't name, and laugh out loud because I know I'm a heck of a lot better.

All the false humility nonsense side, everyone compares their own writing with that of others. Seriously, who has not read a writer they think is better than they are? That's comparing your writing with theirs. If you haven't done this, you're saying you're better than every write your read.

Comparing your writing with that of other writers is normal, and impossible not to do. It's also a good thing, unless you're so fragile it makes you want to stop writing, rather than making you want to get better.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Comparing your writing with that of other writers is normal, and impossible not to do.

It's not impossible not to do.

I don't do it.

I love who I love for what they write. I couldn't care less if that's better than mine or not. I don't read as a writer. I read as a reader.

ETA: Also (I might be wrong here) I think I'm perfectly normal. In most ways, anyway....

Last edited:

Shika Senbei

Me want a cookie!
Registered
Reaction score
I will probably never become a great writer, and I couldn't care less. As long as there are some people out there enjoying what I write, I think it's all worthwhile.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know who is a great writer, though? Marilynne Robinson. My god, that woman....

ETA: Excuse the fangirl.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Though I am making progress, I feel like it is a slow process. What else can I do? What do you do to up your writing skills? Or do these things just take time? I can't help but compare myself to other writers and not just famous ones. Some of the people I go to school with are amazing. There is one girl who is really good. I have watched her writing get better and better with each story she writes. Why isn't the same happening to me?

We all progress at our own rate. You can discourage yourself if you start making comparisons.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things--lots of writing and reading. For myself, I also pay close attention when I read the works of authors I admire, and if I notice an area in which I'm lacking, I push myself to improve in that area.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone says don't compare yourself to others. Bullshit. How in God's name can you read everything with words on it, and not compare? And why on earth would you not want to compare. Will doing so damage your fragile ego beyond repair?

/.........../

Comparing your writing with that of other writers is normal, and impossible not to do. It's also a good thing, unless you're so fragile it makes you want to stop writing, rather than making you want to get better.

I’m one of the sensitive fragile ones, so I’ve learned to shift from ‘direct comparison’ mode to ‘learn and adapt’ mode. Writers who are ‘better’ than me and who are ‘worse’ than me, all have things to offer. Lessons of what to do and what not to do and how. And you do this and you take what suits you, adapt it to your personal style, and move on.

I shall now drop names which were popular a quarter of a century ago among a minuscule demographic: When Venom appeared, people called them Motorhead played badly, but history proved these people wrong. Venom are Venom. When Iron Maiden appeared, people thought this was a sad clone of Thin Lizzy. It turned out to be one of the first giants of a new style. Then Slayer appeared, and people called them Venom and Iron Maiden played wrong. Again, these people were incorrect. Slayer is Slayer, not “Iron Maiden played wrong”. Then Cannibal Corpse and Carcass appeared, and again, to some they were “Slayer played wrong”, but they turned out to be pioneering giants of a legitimate new subgenre.

So try to not view yourself as "writer X but played wrongly”—view yourself as YOU—who uses techniques developed by others, in order to produce a personal style. Because for every band that used the techniques developed by Slayer in order to create something really new, there were ten thousand bands that really were sloppy copies of Slayer. I vote for making a conscious choice of creating a personalized style, instead of forever trying to be a pale copy of a shining original. No one can out-King King. No-one can out-Ludlum Ludlum. No one can even copy the style to the extent of being merely as good as King or Ludlum. A copy is always a copy. Learn from others but be you, be an original.

Final example. Every city that is not in a starving or war-torn part of the world has at least a few hundred young musical prodigies who are almost virtuoso level, but will never, in the end, make any impact, and will spend their lives playing in inconsequential cover bands. While the world class musician may be a hundred time ‘worse’ at their chosen instrument than the nobody virtuoso, but has the drive and focus and ideas, to create a great (or at least popular) work of musical art, even if it’s based on two chords. Cough, post-punk, cough, pop music, haaak, cough, barf.

Unless, of course, your objective is to become a good cover band musician. Then go ahead and copy others. In the wake of every great hit about davinci codes and alpha werewolves and boy wizards and mockinjays and games of tits and swords there’s always enough quite solid crumbs for a whole crowd of imitators. And there are also whole conservative subgenres—the galactic marine or the zombie apocalypse, for example—where being like everyone else can be an automatic selling point.

Some readers want 'stability', in the sense of predictable plots presented in predictable styles. But for this to work out, you'll have to admit to the mirror: "I'll always be second-rate, and I don't mind. I'll still be in the top percentage when compared to the talentless multitudes. And now to write the chapter where the new space war recruit learns about camaraderie." In this case you're not a 'cover band', or a 'rip off artist', but rather a 'flame keeper', who dedicates his strength to keeping more or less alive a specific sub-strain of jazz, for example, in spite of knowing that you'll never be one of the giants, but enough people will appreciate your efforts at keeping the music more or less alive. And then, whatever the level, there are the groupies, of course...

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
While I've been published before and will be again, I've never viewed myself as being a "great writer". I don't think I deserve to be put into that category--yet.

I made myself into a writer by writing. I never read how-to books, never read thoughts on writing the turd, polishing the turd and submitting the turd (Stephen King?) and never consulted anyone when I first started about four years ago. I just wrote from an idea I had.

Along the way, I learned from my mistakes, listened to my editors, came here and learned some more, wrote a LOT more, and kept honing what talent (however much that is) I possessed.

And I do the same thing everyday. I do it without fail for by procrastinating, I fail to improve. I work on narrative (my weakness), action (my strength) dialogue (good, but could always be better)--I work on everything. And over time I think that I have improved and have gotten feedback on that my improvement, nebulous though it may be.

You learn the play the flute by playing the flute. So said Aristotle. You learn to write by reading and thinking and writing and then finding out what works for you and ONLY you. JMO...

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
By writing every day.
By reading everyday (fiction, non-fiction, quality newspapers, back of cereal-boxes.)
By studying human behaviour.
By having your work critiqued and critiquing the work of others.
By studying those more successful than yourself (YouTube is a great resource.)
By submitting work.
By having a life away from your computer screen.
By refusing to quit.
By reminding yourself that failure is impossible, only you can quit.

Rinse and repeat. :)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
:yessmiley

By writing every day.
By reading everyday (fiction, non-fiction, quality newspapers, back of cereal-boxes.)
By submitting work.
By refusing to quit.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone says don't compare yourself to others. Bullshit.
The point on this one is the OP is directly asking, 'why is she getting better and I'm not.' That's what we're addressing. Treating 'writing X words over Y time should lead to Z improvement' is what we're saying is an unreliable formula.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
By writing every day.
By submitting work.
By refusing to quit.

Adding:
by participating in forums and/or classes and being open to learning about the craft (or crafts - if you write more than one kind of thing) and the art as well as the needs of my own work.
by pinpointing areas where I feel I'm lacking and making a concerted effort to learn and grow in those areas.

This is why I'm here every Monday.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
By writing every day.
By submitting work.
By refusing to quit.

This. Reading and writing, writing and reading... I don't think there's another way. But also, I took a full year of creative writing and got critiques on everything I wrote for a full year, from snippets written in thirty seconds to finished stories. It helped me become much better at evaluating myself and my own writing. I think that was what I mainly took away, actually – to look at my writing more objectively and see the strengths and weaknesses, and to learn from that. Forums and online interactions has taught me a lot about tenacity and hard work and the psychology of writing. Like that constant nagging feeling of inadequacy... It's not necessarily you, it's just how it is, and without it, we probably wouldn't go that extra mile. Complacency does not make for excellence in my experience.

Anyway, I wrote a blog post on tenacity vs talent a while back that might cheer you up: http://fourfivetwo.blogspot.com/2014/11/tenacity-vs-talent.html

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Since this isn't the Conquering Challenges page, I'm going to go out on a limb and say: well - she may have a whole lot more natural talent than you. Or she may not. She may be setting clearer goals for herself: and they might be good goals - or they might not. Her writing might be better suited to the teachers taste than yours: or she might be doing better this year, and might slow down next year - or she might not. But in any case, creative writing isn't something you can realistically grade for comparative purposes.

If you read a lot, if you re-read your own writing with a critical eye, if you read other people's work with a critical faculty, if you discuss what you read, and listen to other people discussing what they read, you'll learn more and more, and your writing will benefit from that.

ETA: You say she's a 'girl' and that you're in 'school', so I'm assuming teen. You don't have an About Me and although I found your intro thread, it didn't say much about you. If I've misjudged your age (here in Australia 'school' finishes at around age 17) then - sorry!

ETA: Oh, ps. I'm not a great writer. Because - see avatar - no thumbs. :(

I haven't been a teen for a long time, and let's just say I am old enough not to want to say my age. I was talking about grad school. I am in an MFA program.

Thanks for commenting, everyone. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for my friend. I think I am just in awe of her work, and she is not the only one that is great. I am probably lucky to be in a classroom with these wonderful writer. This girl in particular has gone from good to great. I was just wondering how other people have done this.

As I mentioned, I read and write a lot. Being in school for creative writing allows this to be my main focus right now. I am putting my everything into this and really giving it my best shot. It's hard not to get discouraged and second guess myself. Sometimes I think I wrote something amazing, but then days later I think I suck, and it's really not because other people are better than me. I don't really know what causes this up and down mindset I have about my own work.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Don't try to be a great writer, try to be a writer. Greatness is a subjective thing anyway. Go for it.

And yes, I often have to tell myself this to. The comparison game is so easy.:/

Status
Not open for further replies.