• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Four part series timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary_MO

Registered
Reaction score
I just want suggestions on the timeline of my series.

Note: Names will be changed later.

Valhalla/Orion: Eastern Hemisphere
Open ended, then start with her sister Isalla/Rahar. I've mentioned her throughout the first novel and had them met up once. They've spoken only a couple of times telepathically, but has not come in contact with her brothers.

Isalla/Rahar: Southern Hemisphere

Elysano/Ariallia: Northern Hemisphere

Magni/Archaia: Western Hemisphere

What I want to know is if I should be mentioning her getting in contact with her brothers also? Maybe add a paragraph or two about their progress out in their own parts of the world?
This is my first time writing something like this, hell this is my first time writing period besides poetry and in my journals. So be gentle. Thanks!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, not totally sure what you're asking, but I'll give it a whirl. From what I gather, you're writing a four-part series about siblings, and each takes place in a different part of the world (although, obviously the Eastern and Western could also be in the Southern or Northern hemisphere, so that's not absolute). Right?

So are you asking whether the four stories should be consecutive, or all take place at the same time? I think you need to figure out what the overall story is that the four parts tell. Then you'll be better able to figure out the chronology, and can overlap the timelines of the different adventures the siblings are having as much or little as you want. As a reader, I would enjoy hints of what's going on in the other parts of the world that I could think back on when I read that person's adventure later.

Best of luck with it!

Mary_MO

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, not totally sure what you're asking, but I'll give it a whirl. From what I gather, you're writing a four-part series about siblings, and each takes place in a different part of the world (although, obviously the Eastern and Western could also be in the Southern or Northern hemisphere, so that's not absolute). Right?

So are you asking whether the four stories should be consecutive, or all take place at the same time? I think you need to figure out what the overall story is that the four parts tell. Then you'll be better able to figure out the chronology, and can overlap the timelines of the different adventures the siblings are having as much or little as you want. As a reader, I would enjoy hints of what's going on in the other parts of the world that I could think back on when I read that person's adventure later.

Best of luck with it!

Yes, That's what I want to know. Sorry I have a hard time explaining what it is that I'm asking for. It makes more sense in my head, but when I try to word it on here it just comes out all so confusing. Plus I constantly worry about sounding like an idiot when I'm asking for help. I'm intimidated by everyone in here, they all seem so smart and educated. Here I am a simpleton who has a dictionary and a thesaurus downloaded on her tablet just to make sure she's spelling and getting the meaning of things correctly.:D

But thank you for your input. I'll go back and see where I need to add a few scenes of contact with her siblings. I have a beta reader that helps me keep track, but since she's at work right now I wasn't able to ask her.

Status
Not open for further replies.