Casting Your Novel

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
What a fun thread! :D

Before The Dawn (Working title)

Zac Efron has gotten really buff lately for some of his current film roles and has been a great inspiration looks-wise for my male MC, "J":
normal_001.jpg

(Hair-wise, however, I picture Zac the way he looks in the movie, Charlie St. Cloud.) I wholeheartedly confess that I sometimes hear Zac's voice when I'm writing dialogue. :) J has been on the run for as far back as he can remember. He's "new" in town, very secretive about his past and has a strange agenda. I could tell you what he's up to, but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

I have not found the perfect person as of yet, however, for my female MC, Serena. She's still just an imaginary person in my head. Most of the rest of the characters have not been "cast" yet either, with one exception....

My supporting character, Mr. Ambrose, sometimes resembles the late, great Roberts Blossom ("Old Man Marley" in Home Alone). He's somehow more cheerful in my head, however...and does not carry a snow shovel. :tongue Instead, Mr. Ambrose has an obsession with his pet parrot. He is a comforting presence for Serena, talented on the violin, and is usually up for playing a round of checkers or Scrabble. :

Robert-Blossom.png

Last edited:

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
Lance_Reddick_06.jpg

Father Dallas Jattik (Lance Reddick), Antagonist. A Templar of the Divine Imperium, his mission on Earth has been to find the one who has been 'touched by the Aether'. When he learns of the magic used to bring Parker back from his coma, he believes his mission is almost over. The Imperium believes the soul of an Aetherborn is the final reagent needed to open a conduit to their God, allowing an avatar of Him to appear in the real world and lead them to victory over their enemies.

This sounds very interesting. I'm intrigued. :)

Last edited:

Nimeni

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to post some more of my characters here, but I've yet to find a girl with ash blond hair and a really mean face. :D"
So meanwhile, I give you Jeremy Irons as Alois Grigorescu a 16th century alchemist and the foster papa of my female MC. He only needs a longer beard and a potbelly, then he'd be perfect.

http://stars.ign.com/dor/objects/915682/jeremy-irons/images/jeremy-irons-20041221051651434.html

(I tried putting the picture into the reply, but somehow it doesn't seem to work.)

Also Richard Armitage as the antagonist/wants-to-be-love interest. (With hair slicked back please :D)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...478EBE0B539A04557A260F06D&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

BlackHatBlueScarf

Author
Registered
Reaction score
I have a few artist friends that have drawn a lot for me, and it'd be a shame not to show them if you are interested.

These are pictures for my first book. A few are sketches, though.

Second book. There's a ton of 'em.

Third book. Only on the third chapter, and the first chapter is terrible and needs to be redone. But working on it!

The first link of my signature is a Bios Page - Pictures included - For the majority of the characters for the second book. Descriptions ahoy.

I then proceeded to go through this thread's pictures for an hour. Go me.

Last edited:

dancing-drama

Priestly Up!
Registered
Reaction score
I keep trying to find perfect fits for my characters and it's really, really hard. They're just so clear in my head.

For my WIP Human

The Main Character, 4344 or Francine Foster: Phoebe Tonkin.
I adored her in H20 and after the Secret Circle pilot I'm convinced she could nail 4344's character.
phoebe-tonkin-profile.jpg

Secondary Character, August: Drew Van Acker.
He would actually be almost perfect. He's just a bit too old... A friend of mine said she'd like to see Alex Pettyfer but I like Drew a lot better.
Drew+Van+Acker+PUMA+Social+Club+LA+Launch+bQX9hUVQc2Zl.jpg

Secondary Character, Nell: Elle Fanning
She just has that certain look of a certain fragility that I imagine Nell to have as well.
elle-fanning-and-chanel-spring-2011-rtw-tweed-fringe-short-sleeve-dress-gallery.png

Love Interest, Declan: Louis Prades
He's a model, not an actor but I think of him when I try to put a face to Declan's character. Which model wouldn't want to be an actor? Oh damn it, too old again.
100j.jpg

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are going to laugh, but I always do character collages while I'm brainstorming, or just stuck with plot lines. I rarely use famous people, though. I like to thumb through hairstyling sites and magazines or I google physical traits. (Be careful when you google anything with the word Blonde in it. Sheesh.)

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so for my current project:

89052-define_pleasure_toy.jpg

Michelle Rodriguez would play Colt, my MC, who is a bad-ass Cuban-American, who's not above consorting with cartel bosses in order to get her new friend back across the border to her home in CA. She can't be seen in America, because she's wanted for the murder of her father, but she's kind of okay with putting her ass on the line for Avery.

Ashley-Tisdale3.jpg

Ashley Tisdale would play Avery, who Colt saves from Human Traffickers. She's been kidnapped from Spring Break in Baja California. She's kind of sweet and dainty, but has a tough side to her that she'll need if she's going to make it home alive.

Roses Are Red

I want you to want me!
Registered
Reaction score
"What do you say we leave for California?"
Oh fun!

MC: Matthew Holbrook. He's 16, funny, and tries to be optimistic even though he's hurting inside. One word to describe him: dork.
images

Second MC: Scarlett De Luca. 16 also. She's charming, outgoing, and bubbly. Everyone wants her.
images

Alex Holbrook. 18. Matthew's older brother. He's the greatest guy you'll ever meet. Yeah until you sleep with him ;) he's a whore. But still a good friend, if you're just that --- friends.
images

Annie Holbrook. Matt's little sister. She's 12, and hates her brothers for having such drastic sister-complexes.
images

Kathryn and Alex Holbrook. Verrrry young parents. Good people. The kind of couple who appears happy but really isn't.
images

images

I could do Scarlett's family too, and they're much happier.... but my fingers are tired. :) this was fun!

Last edited:

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my casting for Luke. Always had this actor in mind but it was hard to find a picture of him not smiling. This one is almost perfect - Luke walks around campus like this - avoiding eye contact.

Liam-Hemsworth-24.jpg

P.S. Just put my query up for crits, please visit if you can... I <3 you guys

breaking_burgundy

Registered
Reaction score
My novel is set in a world where most people aren't white. They would most closely resemble Middle Easterners. Anyone know any famous Middle Eastern actors/actresses?

(Although if I had to pick, I would prefer to cast unknowns. I want the focus to be on the plot and characters, not the famous faces.)

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
My novel is set in a world where most people aren't white. They would most closely resemble Middle Easterners. Anyone know any famous Middle Eastern actors/actresses?

(Although if I had to pick, I would prefer to cast unknowns. I want the focus to be on the plot and characters, not the famous faces.)

Model Mayhem. You can search models by age, ethnicity and specific features (hair color/length, eye color, skin tone). You have to wade through a lot of models (none of them famous by any means. In fact, the vast majority are amateur) depending on your search criteria, but it's the only site I use any more.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
I have rewritten much of my current novel, The Other. It's new name is Aetherborn, it's an Urban Fantasy, and I've expanded/changed/dialed back/expanded a lot of the characters.

Kodi+Smit+McPhee+Australians+Film+2011+Breakthrough+jQL4IDNQZbFl.jpg

Kodi Smit-McPhee as Parker Conlin, Main Character.

An ordinary boy who has miraculously recovered from brain death by the will of the sorceress who fell in love with him. His revival becomes a core conflict between two magic using entities, the Council of Magi and the Divine Imperium, and his only ones truly looking out for him are the dark sorceress who revived him and those who believe she can be redeemed. His continued existence, however, drains that sorceress of her magic making her a fraction as powerful as she could be. The one holding her strings does not care for this at all. Parker becomes a high priority target, between the Magi trying to protect him and the Divine Imperium trying to kill him.

He alone must find a means to continue his existence without the sorceress' magic. In doing so, he will free her from her slavery and bring a stop to the Divine Imperium before they do irreparable damage to the fabric of reality itself.

sarah-bolger-0.jpg

Sarah Bolger as Kaylee McVade, Part time Antagonist.

Formerly the strongest magi in existence thanks to her inheritance of a dark legacy, she has lost much of her strength due to a sacrifice that saved the only boy she ever loved. The magic she used to save him came at great price, rupturing her essence and soul. Much like a bleeding wound that won't stop, she's doomed to die unless the damage can be permanently fixed. To survive, she must work as the attack dog of an evil prelate who is the only one who can provide a potion that allows her to fix the bleeding temporarily, extending her life a few days each time she drinks.

Lance_Reddick_06.jpg

Lance Reddick as Prelate Jattik, Antagonist

A high priest of the Divine Imperium, he has secured one of the two weapons needed to bring the Council of Magi to its knees. Kaylee and her legion of deathless magi serve at his whim. He utilizes her to find the second: the Essence of God, an elusive power capable of opening a rift to another reality, allowing Jattik's dark master to return. Yet, he becomes frustrated with Kaylee's relative weakness and the upkeep costs of brewing her potion. He realizes how much better off she'd be if the boy she bleeds her power into were to have an accident. Working from the shadows, he attempts to engineer Parker's death without Kaylee discovering his intentions. At the same time, he must continue working toward his ultimate goal: paving the way for his God's return.

Adrian+Kali+Turner+Bad+Teacher+New+York+Premiere+uRkX9BcTNRyl.jpg

Adrian Kali Turner as Benjamin Marris, Supporting Character

A powerful magi and former friend of Kaylee McVade, he has taken it upon himself to help Parker protect himself against Jattik and the Divine Imperium. He also sees Parker as living, breathing proof that Kaylee can be redeemed and hopes to help Parker find a way to exist without Kaylee's power. In doing so, he hopes to reach Kaylee and help turn her against Jattik and the Divine Imperium before Jattik can realize his genocidal ambitions.

7e105bcdf469e0_full.jpg

Liu Yifei as Yin Shao, Part time Antagonist.

Top retainer of Prelate Jattik, Shao works as his mouth and hand, passing on his orders and doing his bidding. When Jattik discovers a lead on Parker's location, Shao is entrusted to find him and kill him quietly. When her attempt fails, Parker spares her life. In doing so, he inadvertently incurs a debt of soul, which Shao must repay or forever lose her magical powers. Shao must save Parker's life once before she can return to being his enemy. During their time together, she goes from loathing him and the honorable death he denied her to gradually respecting him, even becoming his friend and confidant.

Last edited:

AMLemons

Registered
Reaction score
Ivory: I make graphics, so these are who I had in mind.
2w6fk1v.png

From Left to Right: Annalynne McCord, Nina Dobrev, Taylor Momsen, Alex Pettyfer, and Brandon Routh
zvea6g.png

From Left to Right: Ian Somerhalder (Love Interest), Willa Holland (MC), Robert Pattinson (Antagonist)​
I'm still skeptic on Robert, but he looks a lot like my character...

mickeyDs4

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.disneygeekwriter.blogspot.com
Whispering Willows YA Romance/Contemp

"No one really understand what it's like to be a New Orleans native, unless you are one. Just like Paris Hilton will never understand what its like to be redneck. Just when we got our lives back, the Deep Horizon spill happened. My beloved city can't seem to catch a break."

Seventeen year old Briony St. Regis has never wanted to live anywhere but the Crescent City, the Big Easy, New Orleans. Even after Hurricane Katrina took her house and the oil spill has made the city crumble she never wants to leave. Working for family friends she's saving to pay her own way to Tulane. When she's not being Meredith Warren's nanny she works part time at her Aunt Jessa's voodoo shop in Jackson Square. Complicating her life is her ex-boyfriend Court, her academic and social rival Nina and the arrival of Leo Warren.

debby-debby-ryan-3868819-520-780.jpg

Briony Adrian St. Regis: 17; second child of Baron St. Regis and Jenny Kirk, step-daughter of Cecelia Maitland, younger sister of Baron Jr., half sister to Beau and Belle; best friends with Kayleigh Wilkinson; former girlfriend of Court Cunningham; rivals with Nina Carmichael; works as a nanny for Martin and Isabel Warren, friends of her step-mother; also works part time at her aunt Jessa's voodoo shop; falls in love with Leopold Warren, Martin's nephew; birthday October 28th, 1995 (As portrayed by Suite Life on Deck star Debby Ryan)

2009-11-19-0KarlUrban

Baron James St. Regis, Sr: 45; father of Briony, Baron Jr., Beau and Belle; divorced his first wife Jenny Kirk (Jr and Briony's mother) when Briony was three; remarried Cecelia Maitland, a younger woman; is a New Orleans Police Detective; has been trying to put his family back together after losing everything in the hurricane; is very good friends with Martin Warren; birthday March 22nd, 1967 (As portrayed by Star Trek star Karl Urban)

happy-birthday-sophia-bush.png

Cecelia Sarah Maitland-St. Regis: 30; Briony's step-mother; Beau and Belle's mother; married Baron Sr, on her 21st birthday; is a lawyer; is best friends with Isabel Warren; hates living apart from her children; family used to sleep in the offices at the law firm she works for; birthday May 12th, 1982 (As portrayed by One Tree Hill star Sophia Bush)

sara_jess_parker1_300_400.jpg

Jenny Kirk: 45; Briony and Saint's mother; divorced Baron Sr. when Briony was three; lives in Chicago; tried to get custody of Briony and Saint after they lost their home to the hurricane; only sees her children one week in the summer and rare holidays; hates Cecelia; birthday July 10th, 1967 (As portrayed by Sex and the City star Sarah Jessica Parker)

16341_Zac-Efron.jpg

Baron James St. Regis "Saint": 19; Briony's older brother; is nicknamed Saint by his friends and family; is in the Air Force Academy in Colorado; is a legend at King George High School; has been a relationship with his sister's best friend Kayleigh Wilkinson since he was a sophomore; got his pilot's licesne before his driver's; holds the record for most broken windows in King George High School baseball history; birthday April 15th, 1993 (As portrayed by High School Musical star Zac Efron)

davis-cleveland.jpg

Beau Maitland St. Regis: 8; Briony's younger half-brother; goes to a math and science heavy magnate school; doesn't relate well to older brother Saint or Dad; blew up his grandmother's garden shed with a homemade rocket; is very much a momma's boy; lives part time with his best friend Adam, while the family is looking for a new home; birthday December 3rd, 2004 (As portrayed by Shake it Up star Davis Cleveland)

talerico.jpg

Belle Marie St. Regis: 4; Briony's younger half-sister; goes to a private preschool; is the only St. Regis child to be with Baron and Cecelia; is very much a girly-girl; adores her big sister; birthday April 21st, 2008 (As portrayed by Good Luck Charlie star Mia Talerico)

3698215_09a7af1d-b997-4175-8fbe-2ae9c04c5ee5-molly-reduced.jpg

Kayleigh Elizabeth Wilkinson: 17; Briony's best friend; been dating Saint since she was a freshman; hates Court Cunningham with a fiery passion; encourages Briony to go out with Leopold Warren; is very preppy and popular; birthday May 30th, 1995 (As portrayed by Castle star Molly C. Quinn)

kinopoiskru-Ethan-Peck-1073687.jpg

Leopold Daniel Warren "Leo": 17; nephew of Martin Warren; is from Boston; moves to New Orleans to get away from his crazy mother; initially gets on Briony's bad side; eventually falls in love with her; befriends Saint when he comes home for break; birthday April 27th, 1995 (As portrayed by 10 Things I Hate About You star Ethan Peck)

chris-pine.jpg

Martin Daniel Warren: 32; a lawyer in Cecelia's firm; married to Isabel and have one daughter Meredith; allows the St. Regis family to move in with his family when they lose their house in the hurricane; becomes good friends with Baron; employs Briony as a nanny/companion for Meredith; birthday June 25th, 1977 (As portrayed by Unstoppable star Chris Pine)

600full-chyler-leigh.jpg

Isabel Marie Huntington-Warren: 30; is an interior designer; best friends and roommate Cecelia in college; was maid of honor at Cecelia's wedding; allows the St. Regis family to move in with her family when they lose their house to the hurricane; mother of Meredith; married to Martin; aunt to Leo; birthday January 21st, 1981 (As portrayed by Grey's Anatomy star Chyler Leigh)

RaS35b2gy_1209282991.jpg

Meredith Bonnie Warren: 6; daughter of Martin and Isabel; has many allergies and health conditions; can't play outside for too long; loves having Briony as her nanny; birthday October 10th, 2006 (As portrayed by Madeline O'Brien)

drew_barrymore-foto

Dr. Stevie Diane Quimby: 36; goes by Miss Stevie with her patients; is Meredith's doctor; her practice is near the Tulane University campus (As portrayed by Drew Barrymore)

Kerry_Washington-1-Lakeview_Terrace.jpg

Jessa Karen Maitland: 30; Cecelia's half-sister; Briony's step-aunt; runs a voodoo shop in Jackson Square; is a fourth generation voodoo queen; is teaching Briony about the religion (As portrayed by Save the Last Dance star Kerry Washington)

853.jpg

Miss June Maple: 60; the lonely spinster secretary at King George High School; has two purebred poodles Goldie and Kurt; is known for giving out hall passes without dates (As portrayed by Harry Potter star Julie Walters)

tumblr_l9ljfndceZ1qa5nbqo1_500.jpg

Court Foster Cunningham: 17; Briony's ex-boyfriend; spreads a rumor that Briony was hexing all the "affluent" students with voodoo charms; has hated Kayleigh since kindergarten and the feeling is mutual (As portrayed by Bones star Michael Grant Terry)

AllieGonino300px.jpg

Nina Sharon Carmichael: 17; Briony's academic and social rival; lives next door to the Warren's; conspired with Court to spread the rumor about Briony's relationship with voodoo; tries to steal Leo from Briony (As portrayed by The Lying Game star Allie Gonino)

Ruby_Dee+Feb_24_2008.jpg

Tinsla "Miss Tiny" Solomon: 96; Briony's step-great-great grandmother; Cecelia's great grandmother by marriage; is a voodoo queen; original owner of the shop Jessa runs; is kind and firm (As portrayed by Ruby Dee)

Delio

Registered
Reaction score
Hope I am not too late jumping in.

Luster Is the name of the novel. It's a Paranormal/Fantasy YA novel.

Noah Estral played by Mark Indelcato Pretty much the perfect actor for my MC. Noah is a bright 17 year old who loves the opera and excels in theater.He his flamboyant and very nice to everyone. After his mother dies he shuts himself off from everyone losing his bright persona. It's through the efforts of Kahina and Martin that he starts to open back up.
VH7OZl.jpg

Martin Heoff played by model Nikita Gutsu Yeah he is just a model so he is a unknown. But I like his face and it fits. Martin is a 17 year old amateur photographer born in the Ukraine before moving here at the age of 10. Brave,strong,handsome he seems like the perfect guy but underneath it all lies a drive to be better than his father.
9fuZ3l.jpg

Kahina played by Karen Gillan
The girl who popped up in school one day. Kahina is a Techrite from a alternate dimension. Her mission is to find the prisms that Noah and Martin hold and enlist them to fight the Horror,a paranormal force from her world.
xonTFl.jpg

Those are my main three atleast for the first book.

vintagegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Ella, main character
amanda_michalka_photo.jpg

Alex, other main character
tumblr_lzaqstCNsh1r1hnefo1_500.jpg

Julian, Ella's love interest
tumblr_ly9515KR4E1qhodd8o1_1280.jpg

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
Where do you guys go to cast your novels? Just curious. Because I just noticed that ModelMayhem seem to have changed their format, you can't search by details anymore without a membership :(

DrunkenLilacs

Growing tipsier as we speak
Registered
Reaction score
Where do you guys go to cast your novels? Just curious. Because I just noticed that ModelMayhem seem to have changed their format, you can't search by details anymore without a membership :(

I find tumblr a very helpful place :) you can find almost anything on there.

vintagegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I second the tumblr suggestion. I mainly use models, and you can find so many of them on there.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is soooo fun :)

This guy would make a pretty good Tristan, my MC:

4f184fbd0d7b2.jpg

But minus the trendy hair, add glasses and private school clothes.

This guy would make a good Prince Malcolm, if he were more blonde. He looks like he could be the prince of England, doesn't he?

4f386fcede38a.jpg

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad this thread got resurrected! For some reason, this picture reminded me of my MC's friend Vincent (even though the actor doesn't normally look like my mental image of him. I think it's the brooding expression):

img-ezra-miller-3_101801525569.jpg_v_thumb.jpg