Ask Kathleen Ortiz! Ask the Agent Summer Spree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always request to see a partial first. If I choose to read a full, then several things can cause me to reject such as voice, pacing, the plot falls apart, etc.

Something I've been seeing a lot of recently are fabulous opening chapters (typically the first 3 or first 30 pages) and then after I request the full, it feels as though someone else wrote it. I have a hunch this is typically from those writers who enter and win partial critiques. If this is the case, you must apply the revisions to the entire manuscript - not just the first section that was critiqued.

Can't wait to see the steampunk query! :)

~K

I've got a question! Or several! Oh! So excited! Pick me!

This may have been answered in your blog, in which case I am sorry for the repeat.

Is there something in a full that will cause an auto-reject for you? About how long into a request do you need to read to find if it's not right for you?

EDIT: Also, so excited to hear you're interested in steampunk fantasy. I'm currently working on a romance in a steampunk/fantasy world with a male MC. :D Can't wait to query you!

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The trick is to see if your manuscript answers two main questions:

1. Does it really take place in a dystopian society? (Don't know? Check out this FABULOUS post I found on Presenting Lenore's Blog.

2. Does the world itself affect the plot.

If not, then you can just classify it as straight fantasy. I find that it's easiest to classify your works when you're well read in several genres. The more dystopian, fantasies, paranormals, etc you read, the easier it will be for you to classify your own work.

~K

Thank you so much for doing this! I've learned so much from following your Twitter and blog. :)

Mine is a rather specific question that I hope is all right: I have a YA manuscript set in a future earth with post-apocalyptic/dystopian society. However, there are also magic and fantastical elements. Should I classify this as YA Dystopian or just plain YA Fantasy in queries?

Thank you!

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The tween age is definitely difficult to target; however it comes down to the age and the situation of the character.

For instance, you can have a "young" young adult book, but if it's about high school kids gearing up for prom, then a sixth/seventh grader won't be able to relate to it. They might know what prom is but I doubt most will grasp the significance of what gears up to be a pretty important night for most high school kids (I say most because I was one of those few who went but didn't really care too much either way).

So focus on the overall plot - is it a topic/situation a MG reader will be able to grasp?

~K

*waving* Thank you so much for the thread!!

My question: I'm writing a YA (I think) with a 15 year old MC. I'm intending it to be YA with some romance (although it's pretty tame) and it's set at wartime so the kid has to deal with a lot. But I've noticed lots of MG novels with a 15 or 16 year old main character. How do you know where the line is? I feel like I need to write intentionally for a particular age group and it makes me nervous to straddle the line.

Thank you!
Robin

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I personally don't look at the little details when considering an MS for representation. I can't speak for all agents, but I'm fairly certain there isn't an agent who has received an MS free of errors.

Just make sure it's as polished as possible - this is where the rule of thumb of "sticking the MS in a drawer, forgetting about it, and coming back a few weeks/months later" comes in handy. You'll be surprised how many things you find in the later review that you didn't catch the first few times.

~K

Thank you so much for joining us!!!

Question that has been hounding me: I know that when partials and fulls are sent out they're expected to be extremely clean/free of errors. However, how clean do agents expect partials and fulls to be exactly? Obviously major grammar mistakes would make a MS a no-go, but what about little things like comma errors? Just curious! Thank you so much!!! :)

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are several web sites with information on reputable agents. I suggest checking them out to see if the agents are listed and go from there. There are several forums here on Absolute Write, Preditors and Editors, Publishers Marketplace, Agent Query and more. Research is the key.

Please note that some agents are fairly new to the scene and may not be listed individually on these sites; however, if the agency is listed, then it's pretty easy to check out said agency's web site to ensure they're an active employee.

~K

As a life long Sci Fi reader, I am positive that my novel(s) contain one of a kind time travel treatment. How do I submit my already written query letter to agents without giving away my ideas? I mean, just because said person has hung out a shingle saying Agent: Query's Wanted - what if the person is data mining for story ideas to steal?

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Define "smaller presses."

If you mean an independent press and you had great sales, then yes, mention it. If your book was reviewed by a reputable, well-known source like Publisher's Weekly, the New York Times, or Kirkus, then yes.

Otherwise, don't mention it.

~K

Thank you for coming here, Kathleen,
I've been published by smaller presses and have had great reviews. Will this help me or open doors for me to get in with one of the big houses or with a good agent? Seems both are like winning the lottery.

Jennifer Robins

www.jenniferrobins.com

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I request a manuscript revision BEFORE signing, then it goes to the top of my 'to read' pile, since I already know it's something I've invested time into reading.

As for reasonable time frame? Totally depends on the agent, and I believe most will let you know. It's not uncommon to have to wait anywhere from a month to six months - more depending on the agent. If I request revisions, then they'll hear from me within a month. But then again, that's just me.

If they didn't tell you how long it would be until you hear back from them, then I would politely follow up about eight weeks after. I don't think it's unreasonable at all - again, this is just for requested revisions.

I do think, however, it's ok to ask for a confirmation to ensure they received your revised manuscript. Because it would really bite to wait 8 weeks to nudge just to find they never received it.

~K

Welcome Kathleen!

My questions involve revisions that are requested from an agent as a result of the submission process:

How much attention do revised manuscripts get in the grand scheme of the agent's daily tasks? What is a reasonable timeframe to expect to hear back on revisions? And if an agent doesn't get back a client in that timeframe is that a VERY BAD sign? If it isn't, what is the best approach for requesting a status update?

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have notes prepared and ready to go after I get off the phone; however, I wait until they A) accept my offer and B) confirm via e-mail. Longest it's taken? 48 hours.

~K

How long after you've signed up a new client do you try to deliver the notes you promised him on his novel?

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shortest time was about a week, week and a half tops (don't remember the exact turnaround)- but they were mad crazy fast with the requested revisions and did them pretty much exactly the way I envisioned it.

I've never signed, or seen for that matter, an MS that is ready to go from the start. I don't believe a manuscript like that will ever cross my inbox, and that's ok. It's a really subjective business and even if it's something as minor as a few comma issues, everyone's going to read it differently and have input.

~K

What's the shortest time after signing a novel that you've turned around and pitched it to editors? (Has anyone ever been "good to go" from the start?)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I have a question. The amazing romance from a male point of view that you mention. I've been hearing a lot of that. Why is that? Is it rare, or are more people reading it?

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I rarely see a YA romance from a male POV.

I'm honestly not sure if more people are reading them, but I just personally have this thing where I'd love, love, LOVE a YA romance from a male POV. Contemporary, urban fantasy, paranormal :):cringes at incoming surge of paranormal queries::), fantasy, whatever. If it's a YA romance from a male POV, I really want to see it :)

I think it would help give some diversity to what's already out there and also would appeal to teen girls. What teen girl DOESN'T want to know how a guy thinks when it comes to love? Seriously. it's a secret they want to unlock.

I have a question. The amazing romance from a male point of view that you mention. I've been hearing a lot of that. Why is that? Is it rare, or are more people reading it?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you. I saw Donald Maas and someone else (can't remember the name) recently say the same thing about the male POV. I'm not sure if they were referring to YA or not.

Nice to have you here :)

Monlette

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for answering my questions, Kathleen. You're amazing. :D

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for answering my question! Reading what you said about a romance in a male POV brings another question: I'm working on just that right now, and it's a paranormal romance. I know that there's a lot of paranormal romances out there, so what paranormal aspects/creatures are you sick of seeing? What types would you like to see more of? Thanks again!

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are SO MANY paranormal creatures - both already written about and those yet to be written about. I'm not going to make a list of what I'm looking for/not looking for, because in the long run, if the writing is strong and the plot is unique, then I'm sold :)

Thank you for answering my question! Reading what you said about a romance in a male POV brings another question: I'm working on just that right now, and it's a paranormal romance. I know that there's a lot of paranormal romances out there, so what paranormal aspects/creatures are you sick of seeing? What types would you like to see more of? Thanks again!

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
KO,
So I guess waiting for three months would make my agent kind of on the slow side. (And guess what, it's a YA romance from the male POV--and the first time he read it he said he loved loved loved it).

steve chicoine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freedomhistory.com
submission format

Do MacBook Pro users ever submit manuscripts to your agency in iPages?
Does anyone accept that format versus the obvious Microsoft Word?
Am just curious.

Thanks for sharing

Steve

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I request partials, I include specific instructions, including to please send either a .doc or .rtf; so I've not received a document in iPages. While I do have both a Mac and an iPad, I still prefer to have an .rtf or .doc so I can also open it on my Windows computer at the office.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who accepts it.

~k

Do MacBook Pro users ever submit manuscripts to your agency in iPages?
Does anyone accept that format versus the obvious Microsoft Word?
Am just curious.

Thanks for sharing

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.