Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. This is some pretty serious stuff. Good luck to all of you, hope everything is ok :)

We actually had rain yesterday too. I can tell because my car is now covered in dirt :) It only lasted about half an hour, but there was a ton of impressive lightning. It made for nice running weather today--but I know that won't be the case for you guys :(

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Take care everyone!! And yes, keep us updated after the storm!

We've gotten the winds from Sandy all the way down here, but fortunately just a touch.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
my mom's up watching the news. Just heard that here all the roads will be shut down around noon or so. There setting up roadblocks everywhere and shutting down all the bridges.

Although funny enough the weather right now isnt that terrible.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
They take a hurricane seriously. It must take some doing to shut down roads without leaving people who don't pay attention to the news stranded.

Stay safe!

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
yeah I'm safe and sound right now. Luckily i live on a nice tall hill so no worry about flooding here. :)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Mel and Amlptj! Hope you gals weather the storm okay. Good luck and let us know how you're faring, 'kay?

Fabor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Washington state of the United States, Earth, in t
You can add me as a buddy, Fabor. My link is in my sig (You don't have to, but having more friends makes me feel popular ;))

I'm having a decent writing day...or re-writing day. I'm about 6000 words into draft 2 of Talented. I'm doing a lot of adding in. I've noticed I tend to underwrite. But things seem to be connecting.

Also, gah, using a single space after a period is killing me. I keep forgetting. I have to keep going and doing find and replace. It's a pain in the butt. I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

Thanks, finally figured it out.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Debating whether or not to revive my blog for NaNo on Wednesday and do daily updates through November with funny things like:

Head/Desk moments:
Glasses of Coke:

Etc...

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
yeah I'm safe and sound right now. Luckily i live on a nice tall hill so no worry about flooding here. :)

Glad to read that you're safe, amlptj.

Not much rain here, but the gusts of wind are stronger and occurring more frequently now. The forecasters are reporting that this afternoon/evening we should expect the worst of the wind, especially the south facing shores. So far we haven't lost power but the trees are whipping back and forth in the back yard.

Hope you're weathering the storm, Mel.

Fabor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm totally looking forward to NaNo. Before I had to dive deeper into the R&R and the Roomie drama happened, this was the most excited I've been about the actual NaNo novel in ages.

There's a huge debate about 1 vs. 2 spaces. I don't think it's a big deal as long as you're consistent and the agent/publisher doesn't specify. This was the first time I saw anyone specify. The problem with going from 1 space to 2 is if you have any abbreviations, the ". " search will add an extra space after those. That's why I think it's easier to go from 2 to 1. But I was taught with 2 spaces, and to reteach myself would cause way too many errors.

You're speaking about the spaces after a period? I didn't even know there was a debate going on. I've always done two. What is driving the debate and or desire for change?

Fabor

Registered
Reaction score
Debating whether or not to revive my blog for NaNo on Wednesday and do daily updates through November with funny things like:

Head/Desk moments:
Glasses of Coke:

Etc...

This is my first time with the NaNo. It seems that there is opportunity for talking at the Nano site. For me adding the extra work of my blog seems like a killer. I really do want to succeed at this. I need to spend some time today organizing my notes for the story; hopefully even getting an outline of some of the scenes.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
You're speaking about the spaces after a period? I didn't even know there was a debate going on. I've always done two. What is driving the debate and or desire for change?

Well, from what I understand (and others can fix my mistakes here), 2 spaces was originally something done because of the way typewriters wrote. It seemed to have carried on to most of our educations, even though typewriters were being used less frequently.

But now, since everyone uses computers and e-readers, the 2 spaces isn't necessary (for most fonts), and it can mess up the formatting on some of the e-readers, so most agents/publishers ask for one space now.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to read that you're safe, amlptj.

Not much rain here, but the gusts of wind are stronger and occurring more frequently now. The forecasters are reporting that this afternoon/evening we should expect the worst of the wind, especially the south facing shores. So far we haven't lost power but the trees are whipping back and forth in the back yard.

Hope you're weathering the storm, Mel.

This is exactly what we are experiencing.

And thanks. You too. Hope things stay safe where you are.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Mum thought NY wasn't affected... I proved her wrong and we're all the way over here in England.

That is all.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Wind and rain here in Ohio. Stay safe, East Coast Old People

Fabor

Registered
Reaction score
Well, from what I understand (and others can fix my mistakes here), 2 spaces was originally something done because of the way typewriters wrote. It seemed to have carried on to most of our educations, even though typewriters were being used less frequently.

But now, since everyone uses computers and e-readers, the 2 spaces isn't necessary (for most fonts), and it can mess up the formatting on some of the e-readers, so most agents/publishers ask for one space now.

Interesting. I really appreciate your thoughtful and in depth response. I suspect I'll be changing over.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone is weathering the storm, ok!

Funny story from today.

Sports Day is coming up and all the kids gets shirts made to represent their teams.
My teacher friend had one girl in her class get a sample made so they could get it approved.
She tells her, "Make sure it's a purple t-shirt, and has your name, number, and our school name on it."
"No problem, Miss."

Today, the sample came in. My friend opens it up. It's black, with a giant purple T on it.

She says to the student "What's this?"
"It's a purple T shirt, Miss."

So they are now the T team in black and purple.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to enter to win Love Sucks, you have until 11:59 p.m. EST today. It's on my blog (before all the NaNo Prep posts).

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone is okay, and weathering the storm/Sandy alright! :Hug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.