my agent just quit

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
just got off the phone with her 2 seconds ago. she's moving to a non-ficition agency & dropping all her fiction clients. we were supposed to go on Sub later this month. I asked if i could get moved to another agent w/in the agency & none are accepting new clients.

geez. i don't even know what to do now. start querying again? do i add something to my query letter to say "i had an agent but she dropped me?" should i reach out to those agents that passed after my nudge of rep?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, move on. Dunno about the addition. If you had other agents biting, then yes, but you're open product at the moment. I think saying you were once represented isn't going to add much to the query.

Sounds like you got your hopes up before everything deflated. I would hate that. But, hey, just another agent not fit for you.

EDIT: Missed the whole thing about past interested agent. Yeah, hit them up. I'd do them first.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
just got off the phone with her 2 seconds ago. she's moving to a non-ficition agency & dropping all her fiction clients. we were supposed to go on Sub later this month. I asked if i could get moved to another agent w/in the agency & none are accepting new clients.

geez. i don't even know what to do now. start querying again? do i add something to my query letter to say "i had an agent but she dropped me?" should i reach out to those agents that passed after my nudge of rep?

Definitely reach out to those who were considering the work before you got the other offer. With these agents it would be okay to note that your agent has dropped her fiction clients (since they will remember you did have an offer and likely an agent).

Queries to other folks don't need to mention what happened since it's not relevant to their consideration of your work.

I know this sucks, but, on the plus side, not having started submission yet means the book hasn't been shopped around which is a good thing when you're looking for a new agent.

Best of luck.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
I'm sorry to hear that.

The same thing actually happened to me. The good news for you is that your novel hasn't been pitched anywhere yet, which means it's prime for a new agent, especially if you've done revisions to the manuscript and made it better with your ex-agent's input.

I know going out with queries again probably sounds like the worst thing in the world, but take heart. It took me 141 rejections to get my first agent and only 8 to get my second one.

What I was told to do by a Big 5 editor is mention in the query that your manuscript was just getting finalized to go on submission when your agent stopped representing fiction, so you're seeking new representation for it.

The other thing you might consider doing, if you're comfortable enough with your previous agent, is ask her if she'd refer you to some other agents who may share her tastes in fiction. That way, you can use her name as a referral in your query.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, but that sucks :( (The OP, and Quickbread)

Last edited:

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
I'm so sorry to hear that your agent has abandoned you. Good luck finding a new one. Querying is no fun.

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
What I was told to do by a Big 5 editor is mention in the query that your manuscript was just getting finalized to go on submission when your agent stopped representing fiction.

if you don't mind my asking, how did you word/format this into your query? did you lead with this info? or put it toward the end with the word count, etc.? i assume mentioning the old agent's name is probably bad form.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, definitely don't mention the agent name in the query. If you get an offer or an inquiry, they will probably ask, and you can share at that point. I don't know if I worded my query best, and an agent might pop in with a better recommendation, but here's how I structured the re-query for my situation:

------

Dear Agent Name,

I'm seeking new representation for my GENRE WENT HERE novel, TITLE WENT HERE. The manuscript was ready to go on submission when my former agent left his agency. Because of your interest in SPECIAL PERSONALIZED STUFF WENT HERE, I hope you might be interested in taking a look.

BOOK PITCH WENT HERE.

ABOUT ME WENT HERE.

Signed,
ME
-------

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Is it possible to ask your agent for any recommendations. Agents tend to know other agents, not just the ones in their agency. Maybe there's a way your agent could put in a good word for you with someone else.

ETA: Btw, this does suck, but it isn't all that unusual. I'm on my third agent now (and she switched agencies mid our relationship but in this case I went with her). It sucks, it's not fair. But it isn't the end of the world and I promise you if your book found a home once, it'll find another home. All will be well. That's not to say I don't remember the mild panic you must be feeling right now. I was sobbing when it happened to me. :p

Last edited:

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
thank you all for your responses. i truly appreciate the encouraging words. i did ask my former agent for a list of agents she thought would be a good match for me/my MS, but i'd be surprised if she sent them. feels like she's already got one foot out the door. I just keep telling myself this will lead to something better. :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect some agents will have already heard the story that your agent bailed and will thus not be suspicious that you might be 'that writer'.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Viridian!

In my case, it was the best thing that could've possibly happened. My second agent kicks the pants off the first agent for her enthusiasm, insights on my writing, and responsiveness.

I hope you get a similar upgrade! Keep us posted.

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
btw, Quickbread, i took you advice & added a short blurb about "i was rep-ed & ready for Sub when my agent left the biz" to the top of my query & I've already received a request for the 1st 50 pages. maybe this won't be so bad.
(yeah right lol)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hugs and sympathy and empathy. Much the same thing happened to me. I cursed and yelled--a lot. Gave myself 3 days to wallow, and then started re-querying. I tried both kinds of openings: "My agent recently left the biz" and when that didn't seem to help, I went back to a plain old virginal Q plus first 5 pages. It took a few months, but I found another agent, who is terrific.

Much good luck!

Director C

needy
Registered
Reaction score
btw, Quickbread, i took you advice & added a short blurb about "i was rep-ed & ready for Sub when my agent left the biz" to the top of my query & I've already received a request for the 1st 50 pages. maybe this won't be so bad.
(yeah right lol)

Yay! Who knows, you could land a new agent before the week is out. (Unreasonable optimism is required in this business.)

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
here's a question: I have a handful of agents on my list who i nudged with my offer of representation. these agents replied with a nice step-aside. should i send a follow up email to these agents saying i'm back in the game? or is that just needy & annoying?

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
Do it. They liked your book enough to request the full.

well, these agents never requested fulls. these were agents that my initial query fell within their allotted response time. i sent them an email when the offer had been made so they didn't waste their time with my query. some agents requested fulls from that nudge (& I've already contacted them again). the rest - the ones i'm referring to now - simply stepped aside w/ congrats &/or apologies for not getting to my initial query.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Look at it this way though, you got one agent with that query so you'll probably land another one. Good luck with your querying...again. :(