The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
I speak in foul language damn, ***, and hell. If that's an issue...say it's an issue. It wasn't used in a fight...it's how I speak. If it's not allowed then a moderator should let me know...I have no problem with that.

(Snipped)

You do? I don't see that kind of language here:
http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11884.htm

And I know you haven't seen it on this forum, so why did you think it would be acceptable or welcomed at AW.

By the way: I'm a Southener myself, and I purely hate being called "sweetie," even by those folks who know me well enough to know how sweet I really am. I don't like being patted on the head, either, or patronized in any other manner.

Respect IS a two-way street.

Mo

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
I don't have issues with your goal. I came in asking questions not making assumptions. That's why I ASKED FIRST.

What you suggest is smart and I have no problem with.

All I'm saying is that for some PA is the RIGHT CHOICE.

But if those who wish to bring it down are successful alot of good people will be hurt in the process.

This guy is over here talking about picketing the Oprah show if she features a PA author.

What has that author done to deserve that treatment?

Nothing. If he/she can get on Oprah then much success to them.

I take issue with wanting to destroy a company vs...warning others and keeping them from being scammed.

So my issue is not with what you are doing. I tell people HONESTLY that PA is not gonna do much of anything for them...but if they are cool with that...then go for it.
Read a little better Gena. I didn't say picket the show because of an author, I said if the owners were on. What I was posting to was bfore you came on here, so I guess you didn't read the back threads. If a PA author ever got on Oprah I would cheer for them. If the owners got on Oprah in an attempt to con more authors then I would picket.

Two different things.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
gena140 said:
But my experience has been different and I feel that with the right information more authors experiences can be different.

your experience to this point, that is - and your book is barely out. We have PA authors here who have done more work than you'll ever know to sell their book; gotten on national television and hired professional PR firms to flog their books and they all failed. What makes you think that you'll be different than them?

and what sort of information do you think will change the overpricing, the no-return policy that doesn't allow bookstores to order your book and the lack of editing?

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
ResearchGuy said:
As someone with Black author friends, that resonates (pardon the expression). Frankly, if PA serves your purposes as an author, more power to you. Just out of curiosity--did you seek publication through an established publisher that emphasizes the African-American market? Holloway House, perhaps? (I have in my vast reading stack a Donald Goines novel published by Holloway House, http://www.hollowayhousebooks.com/.) Or maybe through one of the larger publishers that has at least some record of publishing Black authors? Simon & Schuster, for example (Michael Baisden)? New American Library (Eric Jerome Dickey)? Names picked from among the books I have stacked up here.) Just wondering.

--Ken

That sounds like someone saying "I have 3 colored friends"...no offense intended but it's different when you have a few friends who experienced something...and when you lived it.

I belong to 5 black author sites and we all have the same issues. We are all well aware of the author houses who are looking for black books. They are cookie cutter books that say the same story in the same way.

90% of my author friends (and all of my author friends are black) either self published, have agents who've been shopping the same book for over 2 years, chose PA, or gave up.

Yes I've researched all of that as I researched PA and I realize it has it's bad points...never tried to deny any of that.

But for my purposes...it works.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I think Gena has good intentions. I think she really wants to succeed. I also think that having a self or vanity published book is not a death sentence, for some books.

However, she just went about it the wrong way. You want that big contract? You want your foot in the door? Then when you get out there and query real publishers and agents, DO NOT mention your PA book. That IS a death sentence. I know it's not fair, I know it, but you'll be guilty by association, if you know what I mean. PA, regardless of what you wanted from them and what they gave you, has so much bad publicity now that a stigma is attached.

You, as one of their authors, will suffer for their indiscretions. It's not right, it's not fair, but it's reality. Some agents/publishers may not mind, but some see it on your query, and into the reject pile you go.

Like I said, pick any one of your four other books and start sending it out. There are places where you don't need an agent to send it in. Lots of niche markets, and Af-Am is a niche that I think is up and coming, fast.

Good luck to you!

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Gravity said:
Guys, guys...anybody who has had teenagers in the house (or can remember back to when they were a teenager) can see this exactly for what it is. I say we stop feeding it. Now. 'Kay?

:::double smooches:::

John-John
I AGREE! {{{{{{{ZIP}}}}}}}}}:Ssh:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
A plea for snippage

This is going to become my theme song. Imagine it sung:

:Guitar: Please, when quoting others' messages, just quote the relevant bits and delete the rest. Try not to quote entire messages.:Guitar:

Thank you!

- Victoria

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Stop Responding to gena140

Come on people, stop it. Just ignore this person. :Ssh: Let's get back to the task at hand. How many of you have sent emails to that Dave fellow. I have. I'm waiting for his reply to my email.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
gena140 said:
I understand that at the end of 7 years PA will offer to sell me "the plates" to my book. Now exactly what you mean by there being none...I'm sure has something to do with POD printing or something else that's irrelevant to me.

The point is...at the time I will be able to take my book to Kinkos and print if I want.

I'm not a child or stupid...stop talking to me like I am one.

I've been told I was arrogant and rude and I'm trying to be respectful...but I won't be if I'm not respected back.
I appreciate you trying to tone it down. Please understand that I and many others are trying to judge if you indeed understand what you say you do. For instance, the "plates" clause and the issues therewith were thoroughly discussed a ways back in this thread. Yet you say you've read this thread, so why wouldn’t you know about them?

And it's not that we don't respect your apparent contentment with PA, we're just incredulous that anyone would knowingly go with them. To say they're the best you can do because you're African-American, well...I won't go there.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
Susan Gable said:
Okay, so your goal is to make a big enough splash with your PA book that you can get your foot in the door with the rest of the publishing industry?

Gena, there is now a "stigma" attached to PA that is probably worse than being self-published. We have discussed on this thread that there are legitimate times for a writer to choose self-publishing. But choosing PA is worse than self-publishing because of its current (well-deserved, I might add) reputation.

If you really wanted complete control, self-pubbing would have been a better option. I understand that maybe you didn't have the money to invest in self-publishing.

I hope you CAN use them to your advantage. We'd love to see good things come out of this. So many people have had their dreams broken by PA that it would be great to see someone step on them to climb someplace else.

We just want you to know that the odds of that happening are really not good. The more knowledge you have, the more in control of that destiny you are. So please, if you are sincere, and you want to make this work for you, then listen to the stories of the ex-PA authors here.

Susan Gable

I haven't met any negative stigma with PA, but my partner who is self published has.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist...I'm sure it does. But my book is now featured on an African American site that refused hers because she is self published and I am not.

My book is also in the public library under the same circumstances. She now wishes she'd taken the PA route as well, but she was swayed by the criticisms she and I both read here.

Her book was out first, and we own a company together but she admits that the stigma of PA is less than the one she has met as a self publisher.

Maybe in the next few months as I approach more outlets that will change, but for now, none of the negativety has affected me.

Some people started out hyped and were dashed...some are still hyped. I mean some people have 4 or 5 PA books so it has to be valuable to someone in some way.

That's all I'm saying is that I realize some have had bad experiences, but I want to share a good one and point out the ways to make it a good one.

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
Kevin Yarbrough said:
Read a little better Gena. I didn't say picket the show because of an author, I said if the owners were on. What I was posting to was bfore you came on here, so I guess you didn't read the back threads. If a PA author ever got on Oprah I would cheer for them. If the owners got on Oprah in an attempt to con more authors then I would picket.

Two different things.

Then I stand corrected. I didn't read the back threads. Only what's here and that's over 600.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
gena140 said:
That sounds like someone saying "I have 3 colored friends"...no offense intended [right ...] but it's different when you have a few friends who experienced something...and when you lived it.

I belong to 5 black author sites and we all have the same issues. We are all well aware of the author houses who are looking for black books. They are cookie cutter books that say the same story in the same way.

90% of my author friends (and all of my author friends are black) either self published, have agents who've been shopping the same book for over 2 years, chose PA, or gave up.

Yes I've researched all of that as I researched PA and I realize it has it's bad points...never tried to deny any of that.

But for my purposes...it works.
Some of my friends have also self-published. It is a tough gig, as one must be business person as well as writer. Not for everyone.

But you did not answer my question. (You are of course not obligated to. This is by way of conversation.) Did you yourself submit your manuscript(s) to any regular publishers before turning to PA?

In any event, I wish you success. I will keep my eyes open for your book at local bookstores. You might have luck with Carol's Books and with Underground Books, both of which are independent bookstores in Sacramento that are particularly welcoming of Black authors.

--Ken

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
your experience to this point, that is - and your book is barely out. We have PA authors here who have done more work than you'll ever know to sell their book; gotten on national television and hired professional PR firms to flog their books and they all failed. What makes you think that you'll be different than them?

and what sort of information do you think will change the overpricing, the no-return policy that doesn't allow bookstores to order your book and the lack of editing?

I haven't disputed anything any of them have said either.

But just because you can't fly, doesn't mean I won't put on wings and try it. I don't let anyone's failure or success define me. I DEFINE ME.

I'm only posting MY EXPERIENCE.

No bookstore has had an issue ordering my book, no one has felt it was overpriced as a matter of fact Booksamillion.com has RAISED the price of it.

I feel it was edited to my satisfaction, and I had it edited before going with them.

Again...I'm sorry for other's issues, but why am I wrong to give my view of it?

I live in a predominantly white area and only the MAJOR black authors are carried in ANY BOOKSTORE. I'd never get in there as an unknown even if Simon and Schuster were my publishers. I wouldn't even try.

I've ordered every book I read in the last 2 years and so would 90% of my target audience. It's not an issue for ME.

Again...I'm trying to be respectful so why do you have such an issue with me?

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
Literary Lola said:
Yikers, we really do have a greenie beanie on our hands. Celebs do not accept cold call books. Well, that's not true; they may use them for dog training papers.

My intent isn't to make fun of you. Well, maybe just a tad, and I do apologize for that. I'm normally quite nice. It's just that you've opened yourself up for so much ridicule by coming over here and spouting things that you haven't experienced yet. Once you've been out in the trenches and have seen just how difficult your printer makes it for you, then come on back and have an intelligent conversation.

Is that a no on the addresses?

I already have a celebrity who accepted a cold call book by the name of Cortney Gee.

I realize he's not a BIG HUGE CELEBRITY. But he has a following and is a respected comedianne in the black community.

I appreciate you wanting the school the greenie, but I know how to effectively use the addresses without wasting my time providing paper training for someone's dog.

Could you please forward them to my email address and I promise to use them wisely.

[email protected]

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Literary Lola said:
I hate to say it, but unless you have something to offer, PunishAmerica doesn't negotiate. Ever.

Oh, sometimes you'll hear of an author who was able to snag 5 author copies instead of 2...but beyond that, eh......

I attempted negotiations on a second (required) book, and it didn't work out...oh well, guess I'll just have to take it to another publisher...
*snicker*

gena140

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.genalgarrison.com
CaoPaux said:
I appreciate you trying to tone it down. Please understand that I and many others are trying to judge if you indeed understand what you say you do. For instance, the "plates" clause and the issues therewith were thoroughly discussed a ways back in this thread. Yet you say you've read this thread, so why wouldn’t you know about them?

And it's not that we don't respect your apparent contentment with PA, we're just incredulous that anyone would knowingly go with them. To say they're the best you can do because you're African-American, well...I won't go there.

I was answering a direct question to me about PA owning my book that had nothing to do with what was previously stated about plates or the understanding of them.

Some people didn't like my initial approach and I understand that so I was asked question to prove my stupidity in the business, which I answered regarding plates.

And I didn't say they were "the best I could do" I said they were the right choice for what I needed.

Big difference.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
MMo said:
...Dave Drown's response to what's been happening in e-mail:
http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/spiritual/1386.htm

Mo
The poor dear. This is what I had to say to him. Not exactly a blistering assault, but I guess we have different tolerances for these kinds of things:

Hi ...

Allow me to recommend that you Google

PublishAmerica fraud

and spend some time with what you find.

To expedite the process:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PublishAmerica+fraud&btnG=Google+Search

I believe it is fair to say that there are two kinds of PublishAmerica authors: those who know they have been ripped off and those who do not yet know that, but will.

--Ken

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Gena,

You're deliberatly looking for confrontation knowing in advance the feelings of everybody here. You have been allowed to post your opinion and engage in debate with several people here. We have been pleasant , patient and wished you good luck. I ask you this one question. If we posted a dissneting opinion on the PA board how quickly would our dissenting voice be banned. IT took PA only 73 minutes to squelch my dissenting opinion based solely on verifiable facts, facts that they did not want their newbies to see. That's one big difference between AW and PA. Here you are free to have a different opinion and you won't be kicked off because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.