Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
60-day form R from Crossed Genres. And I mean almost as form as you can get, not even my name, just a "hi,"

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the commiserations, and mine to y'all as well.

I got a 23-day R from Lore. I realize this may simply mean I suck a lot, but I was pleased with the quick turnaround.

Anybody else ever feel like they should give a market a break from their constant submitting? ;-) I have a few favorite markets that almost always have something from me lately. I almost feel like, "Wow, good job Lore. Here, I'll wait to submit to you for a month!" But of course, I won't.

It's their own fault, really. Their form is just too darn nice. (Although by "in the future" they probably mean "in the next few years" not "later this week." Oh, well.)

I don't think 23 days means you "suck a lot." I heard Lore expanded their staff (according to their Twitter), which I take to mean they've added a couple of slush readers. I've noticed a lot of responses in the last few weeks that are much faster than people are used to from them, so take heart. I even saw a couple of 1-day rejections from them recently.

And I also have one or two markets that frequently have stories from me. If a market provides a really fast turnaround and I want into their pages, they'll hear from me. ;)

And commiserations to all the other rejectees, as well. Onward!

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
23 day form R from Camera Obscura. I knew that one was a long shot.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
35-day form from OSC's IGMS on one of my older stories. I think it's time to blow the dust off of this one and take another look at it.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I'm out of the runnings for Waylines, though they did give a very nice rejection (they said what they liked and what didn't work for them, which I appreciated). Good luck to the other AWers who still have stories with them :).

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
5 day rejection from Shimmer. (Did say he wouldn't mind seeing more of my stories come across his desk so that's encouraging.)

Probably hit Apex or Strange Horizons Asimov's next.

ETA: On rereading this looks like a very brief personal rejection. Still a rejection, though.

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm out of the runnings for Waylines, though they did give a very nice form rejection (they said what they liked and what didn't work for them, which I appreciated). Good luck to the other AWers who still have stories with them :).
Was it form if they said what they liked? Also, how many days. I'd like to know so I can prepare for my own inevitable R. Very sorry to hear it. :(

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Got my response from Waylines too. Nice personal 16 day R.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know what the current turnaround at Daily SF is? I'm up to 19 days and wondering if I missed a rejection email in there somewhere.

ETA: never mind, R just came in.

Last edited:

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know what the current turnaround at Daily SF is? I'm up to 19 days and wondering if I missed a rejection email in there somewhere.

ETA: never mind, R just came in.

Yep - 19-21 days is the usual hotseat range for R's in my experience there and per Duotrope. Sorry about the R though.

Sorry for the R's too, Sai and Marzioli. I'm holding my breath now. Got bumped to 2nd round three weeks ago this Friday. Total sub time at 28 days as of tomorrow. Wish me luck!

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs to all who've received rejections this last week. Though, on a slightly positive note, I notice most of them have come in within a month of submitting. It's nice to just *know* you know? So you can turn it around quickly if you have to. I always seem to get the 3-6 mo. rejections.

Xenospora

What is this... I don't even...
Registered
Reaction score
Just received a 19-day rejection from Daily Science Fiction.

Ah well. This particular story got a personal rejection from Flash Fiction Online in January so I had hopes.

But Daily's was a form. So I'm going backwards! :D

Anyway, hugs to everyone who got rejections. I try to think of it as getting through the necessary rejections I need to get through before I publish.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Just received a 19-day rejection from Daily Science Fiction.

Ah well. This particular story got a personal rejection from Flash Fiction Online in January so I had hopes.

But Daily's was a form. So I'm going backwards! :D

Anyway, hugs to everyone who got rejections. I try to think of it as getting through the necessary rejections I need to get through before I publish.

DSF almost always sends forms. They sometimes add a single line at the end (something like: This one was close.) but hardly ever respond in detail in the rejections. So, don't feel bad. :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
14-day Shimmer personal R, 2-day Clarkesworld R and 1-day Nightmare R.