Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That's a nice cover, Leah, but the image is far too large: you'll have to either reduce its size or delete it I'm afraid. That goes for you too, Ramshakle.

Maximum size allowed on AW is 400 x 400 pixels; that one's over 400 by over 600.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
That's a nice cover, Leah, but the image is far too large: you'll have to either reduce its size or delete it I'm afraid. That goes for you too, Ramshakle.

Maximum size allowed on AW is 400 x 400 pixels; that one's over 400 by over 600.

Sorted. Sorry. :)

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gorgeous, Leah. Just saw it on Facebook, and rushed over to AW to congratulate you in your own thread. The designer captured the essence of your original cover very well.

BrightSera

Neurotic Supernova
Registered
Reaction score
In a land far away filled with dark and stormy nig
So, about that new cover... :D

http://www.leahraeder.com/2014/03/24/new-unteachable-cover-reveal/

ZPngZ5L.png

So pretty! I love the yellow.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I've got to admit, I liked the old cover, but I admire how close the new one is to the original for all that it's different. You can tell they're related, and that's pretty awesome. :)

I will say that the new one does seem to fit the NA cover style a bit better, though. Congrats on the publishing deal. :-D

Last edited:

juliatheswede

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic cover, Leah! I absolutely love it!

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. <3

I've got to admit, I liked the old cover, but I admire how close the new one is to the original for all that it's different. You can tell they're related, and that's pretty awesome. :)

Right? It's still a face, and there's still a bunch of color and feverish intensity, but...it's instantly legible. So much better than my original. I'm glad they retained the spirit of it but improved the commercial viability of it in every way.

I also love that it isn't a typical NA cover, and even has a sort of YA vibe. There've been a lot of crossover YA readers picking up the book, and we're going to continue promoting it in the YA reading community as well as the romance community.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with SBibb and leahzero. I was fond of the old cover too (and loved the back-and-forth regarding it earlier in this thread), but the new one manages to capture all the best elements of the original. Very well done.

LanaK

LanaK
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lanaketrick.blogspot.com
It's so refreshing to hear such a success story. Good job, Leah! I've been absent from the forum for quite a while. I'm working on my first book, and after getting discouraged and putting it aside so many times, I've finally tore into it full throttle this time. I'm expecting to release it this summer. It's so wonderful to see people make a success of it right off the bat. It's so encouraging. I just downloaded your book and I've only made it a couple sentences in, thanks to the snoring husband beside me. But I will say one thing: that first sentence grabbed me like no other. If the rest is as good as the first sentence, you can bet I'll be telling all my friends about it tomorrow. Keep up the good work!

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
It's stories like this that spur me forth. Good on you, Leah.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
So, I've reached the end of my self-publishing journey for now. I'm almost sad that it's over. What a crazy ride it's been.

Yesterday I announced my second book, Black Iris, which will be published in print and ebook simultaneously by Atria next year. If you're curious, you can read about it here.

I have no idea what I'll do after this. So much depends on how things go with Book 2. I'm incredibly pleased with my publisher so far, but I have yet to do a "pure" traditional book launch with them. It'll be interesting to compare that to my self-pub experience, and I'll share what details I can here. Obviously, there are some things I can't be as frank about anymore.

While I know not every indie author who goes traditional is totally pleased with it, so far I have zero complaints. It's a huge relief to have other people taking care of giveaways and signed books and whatnot. I'm also pleased with how involved my publisher has been making me in the process of converting Unteachable to an Atria-branded book--I'm getting to offer a ton of input on how they package it. Basically, I haven't had to relinquish control over the things I actually care about--how the book is branded, my author brand--and my publisher is handling the busywork that used to eat up a ton of my time.

Win/win so far.

I still don't quite feel like I've "made it," but maybe that'll change once I see UT on a bookstore shelf. Or maybe that feeling will never go away. Which isn't a bad thing, necessarily--having a bit of underdog fight in me made me push harder.

Here's to never giving up on your dreams.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Congratulations, Leah! Amazing pre-sale numbers for Black Iris. How exciting! I wish you all the best and hope you'll report back from time to time.

PJanes

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new book.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
I've had my reservations about both traditional- and self-publishing, but based on this thread and your obvious talent, I think you're clearly doing the right thing right now. I'm sure you're going to be very successful.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the wrap-up, Leah!
What an exhilarating saga this was, and congratulations on your success!
So glad everything's been working out, and I look forward to seeing where things go for you from here. :)

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and best wishes for great things in your future!!!!

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very nice to hear, Leah. Hope you'll let us know how it goes from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.