My Own Crazy Self-Publishing Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much Ann!! :) So far, not a ton of sales, but it's early days. I'm running the countdown for the full week and going up in increments. Today at 1pm, it goes up to $1.99. I'll definitely report back with results and thoughts when it's over! I hope you enjoy the book!

I would definitely also like to know, so please do post back with results if you can. Much luck to you!

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
I hope everyone had a joyful and safe holiday season! Happy New Year!! I'm looking forward to 2014 and all it has to offer! :)

I'm late getting the report in for December. Things continue to be hectic on my end. Still job hunting, but working some part-time gigs in the meantime to try to bring in something. Stress and worry is taking it's toll and, between that and the holidays, not much writing has been accomplished. In fact, aside from re-writing a chapter in the third book to the series, I have done nothing with it for the past month. :( I hope to get back into the swing of things this coming week. One of my goals for 2014 is to finish and publish the third book in time for Halloween this year, and get started on another series. Here's hoping...

I did participate in a Kindle Countdown with Next Exit, 3 Miles in December. I ran it for 7 days, from 12/17 – 12/23. It went in increments from $.99 back up to it's regular price of $3.99. The results didn't blow me away, but I did have some sales from it, so I would say it was worth it. Grand total of sales during the countdown period? 6. Like I said, not blowing away any records here, but sales are sales and I will take it! I think I will try it again in the Spring and combine it with more marketing and promotion and see what happens then.

December Sales for Next Exit, 3 Miles:
Kindle: 10
CreateSpace: 3
Hand Sold: 0
Total Sold: 13
Grand Total to: 61

December Sales for Next Exit, Pay Toll:
Kindle: 13
CreateSpace: 4
Hand Sold: 4
Total Sold: 21
Grand Total to: 24

2013 Year Total Sales (4 ½ months): 85

I am very happy with my total sales for the year. I think 85 in 4 months and change for a totally unknown author is great! I will be working hard to increase that in 2014, but I am happy with the start. I do have to reiterate what everyone here has already said many times: sales on my first book definitely boosted with the publication of my second. I expected it to happen, but was still pleasantly surprised when it actually DID happen. :) So to anyone who still only has 1 book out and may be despairing over sales, WRITE! Write more. Write well.

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for giving us an update, CW, and congrats on getting a bump in sales from your second book. I'll be trying the countdown thing too, starting on the 7th, so we'll see how it goes. Trying not to get my hopes up too much. I bought Next Exit, 3 miles and am looking forward to reading it when I finish a few projects I'm working on. It looks like a great story. I hope you have awesome sales in 2014.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I am very happy with my total sales for the year. I think 85 in 4 months and change for a totally unknown author is great! I will be working hard to increase that in 2014, but I am happy with the start.

Those are great numbers, and I'm wishing you lots of job luck and happy writing. :)

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks guys! It doesn't look like much, but it's a start...and I'll take it! :)

Ann - good luck with the countdown! Let us know how you make out! :)

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
85 books sold are 85 books sold, nice job.
Thanks for the update, and good luck in the new year!

C.R. Baker

Registered
Reaction score
I am very happy with my total sales for the year. I think 85 in 4 months and change for a totally unknown author is great!

I agree. :) The cool part? Those works will continue to be out there for readers for your whole life. Now you can continue to build your list - book by book!

C.R.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Happy Superbowl Sunday and Groundhog Day!!! (Go Broncos!)

Well, January was uneventful both in Sales and in Motivation. January and February are always cold, dark and depressing for me. I get the winter blues and my motivation goes to you-know-where faster than you-know-what. However, with that being said, I did have some sales and for that I am extremely grateful. :) There was an interesting discussion in another thread here about sales and success and how to define them and, as a result, I am slowly rearranging my thought process on how I define success for myself versus how others around me define success for me. I am learning that my own definition is quite different from others!

I'm trying to knuckle-down and really focus on working on book 3 of the series. I did have a mind-blowing moment at 3am the other night\morning and got an absolutely fabulous storyline twist for the series into my head. :D Why do the best ideas always come to me in the middle of the night when I am incapable of drafting them out on virtual paper??? I did get some notes down before I went back to sleep, though, and I'm working on fleshing it out now. I think it will be pretty awesome when it pulls together.

Here are the sales from January for both books:

January Sales for Next Exit, 3 Miles:
Kindle: 1
CreateSpace: 0
Total Sold: 1
Grand Total to: 62

January Sales for Next Exit, Pay Toll:
Kindle: 2
Total Sold: 2
Grand Total to: 26

Not too shabby totals, even though January saw dismal sales. I'll take it!

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Hey everyone! I hope everyone is healthy and writing and doing well. I haven't been as active here as I would like to be, and really I only have my own state of mind to blame for that. I allowed myself to fall into a dismal funk over the past few months. Too much going on in life and not enough positive energy to help me sustain myself through it. However, I am happy to say, I think I may be (finally) coming out of it. It was actually an AW'er who helped give me the kick in the rear I needed to pull my head out of where I had buried it, and for that, I am ever grateful. The support we gain here is so wonderful. It really can't be beat. I hope everyone appreciates how awesome it is here! Good people still exist out there. :D

I have rediscovered my passion for the third installment of the Exit Series, and I have been a writing machine for the past few days. Yay! I wanted to have the book finished and ready for the test readers by mid-Spring, but with the writers block I've been struggling with recently, that seemed like a forlorn hope in the best scenario. However, now I think I can have it ready by May. WOOT!! :snoopy: The plan is to have it to test readers by beginning to mid-May, get it back and have time for revisions. I am looking for a publication date somewhere toward the end of August – beginning of September. As it is a Halloween-themed story this time, I think that will be good timing. What do you guys think?

I am also toying with the idea of getting a table at some book and craft fairs this summer to sell print copies of my books. Has anyone tried this? I got the idea from an outdoor book fair that takes place in this area every fall. I am going to get a table there this year, but then I thought...there are a lot of craft fairs around here throughout the summer and there are always tables with used books, etc. Why not have a table with just my books? Thoughts?

Well, it's time for the month in review. February was a slow month for me, so not much to report there as far as sales go.

Here are the sales from February for both books:

February Sales for Next Exit, 3 Miles:
Grand Total to: 63

February Sales for Next Exit, Pay Toll:
Grand Total to: 27

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I hope everyone is healthy and writing and doing well. I haven't been as active here as I would like to be, and really I only have my own state of mind to blame for that. I allowed myself to fall into a dismal funk over the past few months. Too much going on in life and not enough positive energy to help me sustain myself through it. However, I am happy to say, I think I may be (finally) coming out of it. It was actually an AW'er who helped give me the kick in the rear I needed to pull my head out of where I had buried it, and for that, I am ever grateful. The support we gain here is so wonderful. It really can't be beat. I hope everyone appreciates how awesome it is here! Good people still exist out there. :D

I am thrilled that you are getting back in the saddle again, dear one. It's a great feeling to be able to pull yourself out of whatever writer's funk you happen to fall in. Happy, happy, happy for you!

I am also toying with the idea of getting a table at some book and craft fairs this summer to sell print copies of my books. Has anyone tried this? I got the idea from an outdoor book fair that takes place in this area every fall. I am going to get a table there this year, but then I thought...there are a lot of craft fairs around here throughout the summer and there are always tables with used books, etc. Why not have a table with just my books? Thoughts?
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't try it. You may find you're on to something. I did do one craft show once and sold 6 or 7 copies of my first novel, which is priced at 14.99. I felt pretty good about that for an unknown author with only 1 book. I think I would try it again. If nothing else, it will gain you some exposure.

I'm amazed that your sales aren't off the charts, but knowing what a high quality writer you are, I know it's because you simply haven't been discovered yet. Keep on keepin' on, and one day...

I can't wait to read the second book in the series. Of course, I bought it, but I need to go where there's a hot spot so I can get it on my Kindle. Blessings on you and write on!

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
I did do one craft show once and sold 6 or 7 copies of my first novel, which is priced at 14.99. I felt pretty good about that for an unknown author with only 1 book. I think I would try it again. If nothing else, it will gain you some exposure.

That was my thought too! If nothing else, local people would start seeing my work. If I could sell 6 or 7 copies, I would be over the moon! LOL

I'm amazed that your sales aren't off the charts, but knowing what a high quality writer you are, I know it's because you simply haven't been discovered yet. Keep on keepin' on, and one day...

Thank you so much, Ann! I really appreciate that! :D

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com

I have rediscovered my passion for the third installment of the Exit Series, and I have been a writing machine for the past few days. Yay! I wanted to have the book finished and ready for the test readers by mid-Spring, but with the writers block I've been struggling with recently, that seemed like a forlorn hope in the best scenario. However, now I think I can have it ready by May. WOOT!! :snoopy: The plan is to have it to test readers by beginning to mid-May, get it back and have time for revisions. I am looking for a publication date somewhere toward the end of August – beginning of September. As it is a Halloween-themed story this time, I think that will be good timing. What do you guys think?

Well, it's time for the month in review. February was a slow month for me, so not much to report there as far as sales go.

Here are the sales from February for both books:

February Sales for Next Exit, 3 Miles:
Grand Total to: 63

February Sales for Next Exit, Pay Toll:
Grand Total to: 27

Boy can I relate to this! You are right, there are still good people out there and here too! I'm glad to hear you are making progress with your writing!

Congrats on your sales!

I'm curious to hear how it'll go if you go ahead and get a table to sell your books at local craft fairs. I would weigh out the cost of the table against the projected amount you think you could make. How many sales would you have to make to break even?

I've toyed with this idea as well. There are quite a few in my area in the summer/fall. Honestly, the only real reason I haven't done it is because of my genre & I use a pen name. Not sure if I'm ready to announce to my community what I write! ;-)

Good luck!!

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks Celeste! I think I am going to try it. I have to research some of the fairs around here. I know the book fair that I already decided on is in October and the spot is only $35. If the rest of the fairs run around that price, I think it will be worth it. Anything more expensive might not be... I would sell the books for the price they're listed on Amazon, $12.99. After the cost of the book themselves, I would only have to sell 4 to break even at a $35 entry fee. I have a few months to figure it all out, though.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
I'm a little late to the party this month, in terms of posting my March recap. I somehow had the fabulous honor of contracting an inner ear infection this past week. Let me tell you, if you've never had one, you don't want one! Everything spins every time you turn your head! It's like being constantly drunk, but without the fun. What a nightmare!

March was another slow month for sales for me, although not as slow as January and February. I have been trying to figure out ways to get more exposure out there in the great, wide world. It's kind of like beating my head against a wall, and very discouraging, but I need to find a good balance between taking the time to promote while not taking away from my writing time. It's hard, but I'm sure I'll figure it out...eventually. Right now, I am trying something new (for me) this month. I am having my first (non-traditional) public appearance in April!!! I mentioned before that I was thinking of trying tables at local craft fairs and book fairs over the summer. Well, the first one is on April 26th! GULP I have a table, a banner, and am ordering books this week. I'll be signing and selling at a local church yard sale. It's called a yard sale, but really, it's a big flea market on a major road that they hold every year. I'm terrified. Writing is one thing, but actually talking to people about my books is another. It's funny. I can talk the hind leg off a mule about any topic, except my books. When people ask what they're about, I get all tongue-tied and feel like a loser. So this is going to be a HUGE challenge for me. I'll let you all know how it went next month!

Here are the sales for March. Again, slow month. I did, however, get my first review for Next Exit, Pay Toll, so that was wonderful. :)

March Sales for Next Exit, 3 Miles:
Kindle: 3
Total Sold: 3
Grand Total to: 66

March Sales for Next Exit, Pay Toll:
Kindle: 2
Total Sold: 2
Grand Total to: 29

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Thanks for the update, CW. I get tongue-tied, too. One thing that helped at the bazars I've had a booth at was to print up a description of the book (in my case it was easier because I had trilogies, so three book descriptions modified into one paragraph) and then a listing of the star rating at Amazon, B&N and Goodreads. It gave people a bit more info. without hitting them over the head. I thought about posting reviews, as well, but my display ended up looking crowded and junkie. I have somewhere around 30 titles out and there was just no more room! Good luck!!!

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Oh, that's a great idea, Merri! I'm toying with the idea of adding posters on the table with the book cover that would stand up behind the books. I could add a short description with the star rating from Amazon on that, couldn't I?

Thanks for the tip! :)

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing that is helpful, Clare, is to write out a couple of paragraphs about your story; then read it out loud to yourself. The act of writing it and reading it out loud will help cement it in your mind and make you more comfortable when someone asks you what it's about.

Remember, potential buyers are simply people, just like you. Relax and have fun with it. No sense striving or sweating it; you are a terrific writer, and the people that find you and your books will be happy new fans... like me. ;) I can hardly wait for the next one!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Oh, that's a great idea, Merri! I'm toying with the idea of adding posters on the table with the book cover that would stand up behind the books. I could add a short description with the star rating from Amazon on that, couldn't I?

Thanks for the tip! :)

Absolutely!

Status
Not open for further replies.