Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You could print out postcards or bookmarks with the jacket design on the front and blurb on the back, plus your website address, a list of other titles, and buying details; then when people ask you what your books are about you can hand them one of those. It'll be a concrete reminder of your books.

Just a thought.

PJanes

Registered
Reaction score
Right, talking about your books is something I'm hesitant about myself. There are people I see just about every week, but I have yet to tell them I'm a writer or that I have a book out.

So my hat is off to you. Or cap, I think I have one of those. Should I put it on as I write this post?

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Joyce, you always know what to say to boost me up! :D Thank you so much!

OH, I thought about bookmarks. I'll take another look at them. Somehow, I never thought about putting the blurb on the back! LOL I just thought of the cover on the front and didn't really know what to do on the other side. Of course, now that you mention it, it seems so obvious that I feel stupid!! Thanks for the idea! :)

PJanes, you made me laugh with the cap. :D

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who gets flustered and tongue-tied. I'm going to have to get over it, but these are all great ideas to help me along! Thank you so much!!!

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed reading your journey up to this point. I'm so sorry about the recent stress in your life and hope it's resolved or will be soon. I'll definitely be following along with you and hope you'll continue to post your updates.

Not sure if this thread is the right place to ask but do you have a lot of print books on hand? How many will you have with you at the fair and yard sale?

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
I've enjoyed reading your journey up to this point. I'm so sorry about the recent stress in your life and hope it's resolved or will be soon. I'll definitely be following along with you and hope you'll continue to post your updates.

Not sure if this thread is the right place to ask but do you have a lot of print books on hand? How many will you have with you at the fair and yard sale?

Thank you! :)

I don't normally keep a lot of print copies on hand, although some of the other authors here have had great success keeping a box in their car and selling them as they talk to people in everyday situations. That's something I will probably start doing in future... For the yard sale, I am only taking 10 of each book. I thought that was a good amount. I'm hoping I sell them all, but if not, then I'm not too much in the red.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
March was another slow month for sales for me, although not as slow as January and February. I have been trying to figure out ways to get more exposure out there in the great, wide world. It's kind of like beating my head against a wall, and very discouraging, but I need to find a good balance between taking the time to promote while not taking away from my writing time. It's hard, but I'm sure I'll figure it out...eventually. Right now, I am trying something new (for me) this month. I am having my first (non-traditional) public appearance in April!!! I mentioned before that I was thinking of trying tables at local craft fairs and book fairs over the summer. Well, the first one is on April 26th! GULP I have a table, a banner, and am ordering books this week. I'll be signing and selling at a local church yard sale. It's called a yard sale, but really, it's a big flea market on a major road that they hold every year. I'm terrified. Writing is one thing, but actually talking to people about my books is another. It's funny. I can talk the hind leg off a mule about any topic, except my books. When people ask what they're about, I get all tongue-tied and feel like a loser. So this is going to be a HUGE challenge for me. I'll let you all know how it went next month!

We are so similar ;)
I wish you all the best at the yard sale! I'm sure you'll do well. Congrats on having the guts to take this step!

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks, Celeste!! I'll let you all know how it went. :)

Sunshine, I've only done 1 countdown so far. I only promoted it on Facebook and Twitter at the time.

SunshineonMe

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Celeste!! I'll let you all know how it went. :)

Sunshine, I've only done 1 countdown so far. I only promoted it on Facebook and Twitter at the time.

Can I suggest that maybe you use KND, BookSends or ENT to promote next time? They really help! I paid around $20 for each ad (ENT takes a commission of you sales through them, rather than paying in advance. I'm not sure what they do for a free ad.)

I hope you have tons of success with your next one!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Can I suggest that maybe you use KND, BookSends or ENT to promote next time? They really help! I paid around $20 for each ad (ENT takes a commission of you sales through them, rather than paying in advance. I'm not sure what they do for a free ad.)

I hope you have tons of success with your next one!

How many sales did these ads result in? Did you earn back the amount they cost you?

SunshineonMe

Registered
Reaction score
How many sales did these ads result in? Did you earn back the amount they cost you?

Yes, they earned more than I paid. I think advertising does even better should you chose to use the free Amazon option, (and it might be cheaper). I did the countdown instead, with 3 price points (.99, 1.99, full price.)

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the yard sale/flea market! I'd never really thought of that as a way of meeting readers and selling books, but then again I share your habit of clamming up when it comes to talking about my books. I'm sure this will be good for you, getting out of your comfort zone and all that.

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck to you. With all you've been through so far, this should only be another peg on the wheel of success.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks everyone! :) I'm nervous, but I think it should be a good time. We'll see how it goes!

Sunshine, thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that!

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Happy Spring everyone!!! I don't know about you, but I am SOOO happy to put that long, frozen winter behind us! :) My vegetable plants are in, my flowers are in process, and I am loving the warm weather. I could do without the torrential rains that washed out some of my seedlings last week, but hey, at least it wasn't snow.

I have updates! I couldn't be happier with how April turned out for me. I did my first book signing on the 26th and it wasn't a total disaster! WOOT! I even stopped shaking about half an hour in! LOL As I mentioned before, I did my first signing at a local community yard sale. It lasted five hours and the yard sale attracted well over a thousand people. They put me in a great spot, overlooking the main road, so I actually got a lot more exposure than I was expecting to, which was wonderful. I had both books on the table, a big bowl of saltwater taffy (its a Jersey thing) and I printed up flyers on flourescent paper with the book descriptions and a few reviews from Amazon on each side. I also included my About the Author on the flyers and had my business cards on the table. I went a little overboard with the cute factor by going to Michael's Crafts and buying bright-colored paper bags with handles to put the sold books in, but they're fun, if nothing else. :) I had two 8x11 copies of the book covers laminated and put them in plastic sign holders behind the books, and I hung my logo banner from the front of the table. All in all, I think it looked pretty fun and professional. I'll be putting a picture up on my website later today if you want to see how it all came together. In the five hours, I sold 4 books, which is less than I was hoping for, but I'll take it. I did, however, hand out a lot of flyers and I had a steady stream of people stopping by to look at the books. All in all, I was happy with the exposure. People saw my name out there. I do think that I'll have better luck with sales in craft shows and, of course, the big Collingswood Book Fair in October. People were looking for deals at the yard sale, and $12 a book was not cheap enough for them. BUT...it was experience for me.

I also ran some Amazon deals in conjunction with the signing. I used 3 Free Promo days for Next Exit, 3 Miles over the weekend, and starting Monday, I ran a week long Kindle Countdown for Next Exit, Pay Toll. Those results stunned me. They really did. Over the weekend, I had 1,423 downloads of 3 Miles and it sat steady at #15 in the Amazon Suspense category in Kindle!!! :snoopy: It topped out at #14, I believe, on Saturday, then went back to alternating between #15 and #16. Over the weekend, while 3 Miles was free, I also sold 4 copies of Pay Toll. I'm pretty sure that was a direct result of 3 Miles being free. The free promo ended on Sunday night, and Monday morning the Kindle Countdown for Pay Toll began. I used two price points, $1.99 and $2.99 and split the week in half for both. It ends tonight, so I'll update tomorrow with the final totals. However, I am thrilled with how the Countdown did for me this time around. All told, I have sold 14 copies of Pay Toll, not counting today. The only promotion I did for these two sales was on my Facebook pages and Twitter. It was all last minute and the week has been insane, so aside from one mention on my website, I did no other promotion or marketing for the sales. Therefore, I am thrilled with the results! Next time, I will plan better and do some promoting and see what kind of difference it makes.

Here are the results for April:

April Sales for Next Exit, 3 Miles:
Kindle: 6
CreateSpace: 0
Hand Sold: 2
Total Sold: 8
Free Downloads: 1,423
Grand Total to: 74

April Sales for Next Exit, Pay Toll:
Kindle: 12
CreateSpace: 1
Hand Sold: 2
Total Sold: 15
Grand Total to: 44

Ann Joyce

It's all about grace
Registered
Reaction score
A great big w00ty w00t congrats, Clare! I think your results are super and you deserve every good thing that comes your way. Those two books of yours are truly wonderful! I'm very excited for you and I can't wait to see your star continue to rise and shine. Your biggest fan, Ann Joyce, AKA Joyce Ann Naslund

PJanes

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great month.

cwbrowning

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cwbrowning.com
Thanks again everyone! :) I just updated my spreadsheets and, seriously, I am still kind of stunned. LOL If you have been reading my updates, you know this, but I'll recap (because I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it):
Jan. 3 sales
Feb. 2 sales
March 5 sales
April ... 23 sales

Who would have thought having a book signing and running a couple of promotions (which I didn't promote anywhere other than my own social media) would make such a difference?!?! I'm so happy and a little shocked right now... lol

It seems like the momentum is carrying over into April. So far, I have 18 sales for the month. Now, my Kindle Countdown ended on EOD May 4, so I expected to see a drop off...but it doesn't appear to have dropped off yet. I'm interested to see how the next couple weeks play out. I'm really fascinated by all this! I know they're not crazy numbers, only single digits each day, but they're more than I've been selling, so I am ecstatic! LOL

I finally updated my blog with 2 pictures of my book signing table, if you want to see how I set it up and arranged it. :) You can see it here:
http://www.cwbrowning.com/?p=737

Thanks again everyone for all the well wishes!

Norman, so far, so good! Fingers crossed!

Ann Joyce, thank you so much! You are such a pick-me-upper! :)

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
Sales spikes like that are awesome, and even more so when they stay up there. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.