Agonizing over trim size and paper color: a waste of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
Playing with the royalty calculator on CreateSpace, I have determined that changing my 6x9 310 page book into an 8x10 210 page book changes the price where I clear $1.00 in royalties from $13.99 to $10.99.

I have to think that, as meager as print sales of a self-published book are, a $3.00 drop in list price would certainly allow for more of them. Which leads to my question: does anyone but me actually care about the difference between a 6x9 book on creme paper and an 8x10 book on white paper? Or is it just a case of me taking the time to reformat, knowing that the price will be a bigger factor than format?

Last edited:

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I don't like the larger size. Just a preference. I'd make all my books mass market paperback size if CS offered that option. I chose the 8" x 5.25" because it was the closest to the size I wanted. What genre is your book?

kevinwaynewilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Horror, where 6x9 fits well as a typical size. The problem is that cost is based solely on page count, so using larger page sizes reduces the price. 5.25x8 would shoot my novel up to 500 pages and my minimum list price up to around $18.

The real question is whether the size has more or less of an impact than price, and whether $13.99 isn't just normal enough that I shouldn't worry about it.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't want a novel that was 8x10. Too big to hold comfortably to read. That's nearly the size of copy paper - can you imagine holding 210 sheets of copy paper for very long, and flipping pages?

That size is more suited to a photo book, or a children's picture book. Not a novel, which is usually held somewhat upright (or propped on the tummy).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote against 8x10.

Another potential problem: many people wouldn't notice the size when ordering the book; then when they got it, I expect many would be somewhat irritated.

It could be different if this was a nonfiction work, but an 8x10 novel is almost laughable.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
8X10? I've never heard of such a huge format. No. Don't do that. That's my opinion, anyway. I am, however, very confused about your royalty calculation. My books in my sig, for example, are 5.25 X 8 - 250 pages, priced at 10.95 and give me just over $2 royalty on the low end, and just over $4 if ordered from CS.

My latest title, not in my sig, is 5.5 X 8.5, 350 pages, priced at 13.95 and gives me a royalty of just over $3 on the low end to just over $6 if ordered via CS.

Don't forget that often your list price is discounted too. Just look at my latest title (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4VU1BO/?tag=absowrit-20) which is, as I mentioned, listed at 13.95. Amazon has it discounted to just about 10.00.

Last edited:

kevinwaynewilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Profen4, I think that you are talking about Amazon distribution only. Your 5.25x8 250 page book pays only 53 cents on expanded distribution, while returning a healthy $2.72 when sold on Amazon.

5.5x8.5, 350 pages, priced at 13.95, pays a royalty of 53 cents on expanded distribution. If you sized that paper up to 7.5x9.25 and could knock 100 pages off in the process, your royalty on expanded distribution would rise to $1.73.

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Profen4, I think that you are talking about Amazon distribution only. Your 5.25x8 250 page book pays only 53 cents on expanded distribution, while returning a healthy $2.72 when sold on Amazon.

5.5x8.5, 350 pages, priced at 13.95, pays a royalty of 53 cents on expanded distribution. If you sized that paper up to 7.5x9.25 and could knock 100 pages off in the process, your royalty on expanded distribution would rise to $1.73, for example.

I think you're going to have a problem with people not wanting a book that big - if they notice. If they don't notice, I think you're unlikely to get repeat buyers. But I see what you're saying. I use LSI for everywhere but Amazon(s). If I saw a book the dimentions you're talking about, I'd expect hardcover, and +600 pages. Have you ever seen a book that size that wasn't a door-stopper?

You might be better off with LSI for 3rd party retailers. Something to consider.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
6x9 is already rather larger than I prefer but I can live with it. Any larger and I am not likely to buy. It is uncomfortable to scan and does not fit on the bookshelf.

kevinwaynewilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I'll yield to the general notion that 8x10 is too big, although I think it would be in all of our benefit to find a way to test the market impact. If we are all costing ourselves money for something we only think our readers care about, that's a shame.

Looking at my library, I do see that the 8x10 format seems to be nearly exclusively used by graphic novels, and I don't want to get myself pigeonholed over there. I have many that are in the 200-500 page range, and flipping through the pages or holding them wasn't too burdensome.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I have a book on my shelf that's tall. I'm not looking at it right now, so I can't say exactly how big, but I'm guessing like 8x13. It's a very non-standard size and is a paperback non-fiction. It's annoying because the size makes it uncomfortable to carry, or to read. It's not a thick book either, so it's not like it needed the height to balance it out. This one book required that I change the height of the shelf on the bookcase, so it just throws everything off. I never understood why they published it like that. I would never have bought it, just on the size alone, except that I was required to do so.

Last edited:

napow27

Pirate, Beer Aficionado, Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.natasha-powell.wix.com
I checked out your site, it's really sleek and I like how you've organized the site. I'm just getting into to this self publishing thing.

I wanted to ask you a question, did you see more sales after you published your second novel?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.