The End Of The Road?

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
There have been posts before on the forum addressed to writer's block. I'm thinking now of "poet's block" and why it sometimes results in the end of the road for them (suicide). Sylvia Plath comes to mind here.

Sometimes I think a writer-poet invests to much of themselves in their work. Their emotions constantly being drained. Sometimes it can be because their writing is all they have and when they feel it's gone they just give up.

What do you think?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps it's an inability to recognize other roads or value in other things.

Too much of a good thing is still too much, no matter how intrinsically valuable the thing is. Balance is important.

Of course, poetry may not have anything to do with it. There is a thread in Basic Questions about writing and sanity that relates to this. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288669

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I call it the hippodrome. A path less taken or a path you can't get off of.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
What do you think?

first off, it has to be said: you should reach out for help if you're considering harming yourself. if you need to PM me, please do so.

now then.

if that's not the case, then i think your question is unanswerable for the most part. plath, sexton, berryman, chatterton all took their own lives for their own reasons, whether calculated or impulsive, whether under the guise of external stress or events - or from having reached critical mass over time.

but were they any more suicidal than dylan thomas drinking himself to death? is the overt act any more significant than the slow decay?

my opinion is that the perspective, worldview and mental makeup that defines a poet makes one more susceptible to saying fuck it. many of us are just wired for self-destruction.

this is a touchy subject for me for a variety of reasons, so i'll probably bow out of the discussion now.

Last edited:

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Debbie, Xelebes and William. No, I should have made it clear I'm not thinking about it. I often don't get back to my OP right away because I'm traveling about the country with my camera. Yesterday I went to a place locally here called Preacher's slough. The Alder trees were wonderful along the river for almost four miles.

What brought the subject to mind was a book I'm reading by Michael Ann Holly titled "The Melancholy Art", and though she writes with the Art Historian in mind, I'm sure melancholy often applies to those who produce art as well.

It's been said that writing is often a solitary art, especially poetry.

Than again there is a book by David Bayles and Ted Orland titled "Art@ Fear" - Observations On The Perils (and rewards) Of Artmaking.

"Art @ Fear" explores the way art gets made, the reasons it often doesn't get made, and the nature of the difficulties that cause so many artists to give up along the way."

It may be that fear or melancholy could be the culprit, in many cases, to one degree or another?

And thank you William for your kind offer!

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm back to my favorite lines in my favorite play - Our Town. Does anyone really see? The poets and the dreamers maybe. (I'm paraphrasing horribly. Too short for time to look it up.) Btw, I've never known a poet who wasn't a dreamer. Those who see have to face what they see; those who dream are at greater risk of being shot down, especially if they reach for those dreams.

Quotidianlight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mayagoode.com
poets have more sensitive souls than most
so stuff affects them more

my theory

ps hug

I agree with this but I also think poets actually see the world differently. So, with that in mind it makes sense to me that many people with mental illness would be attracted to writing poetry. People with mental illnesses often do see the world differently and need to express their feelings and experiences to stay... grounded for lack of a better word. In my mind, the question isn't why so many poets have taken the suicide option but rather how many suicidal people avoided or delayed suicide through the use of poetry.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I agree with this but I also think poets actually see the world differently. So, with that in mind it makes sense to me that many people with mental illness would be attracted to writing poetry. People with mental illnesses often do see the world differently and need to express their feelings and experiences to stay... grounded for lack of a better word. In my mind, the question isn't why so many poets have taken the suicide option but rather how many suicidal people avoided or delayed suicide through the use of poetry.

It's a complicated issue. Poetry can be a help like you say. But then, it can also exacerbate depression. Sometimes a good remedy is avoiding all things cerebral and just going with the flow and status quo, at least for a time. It's a case by case thing. Seeking professional guidance is always the way to go when things begin to get overwhelming. THere's no shame in that at all. Professionals are the ones to supply advice, if anyone. Not me or anybody else here on the internet.

Just offering my 2 cents for anyone bothering to read this post o' mine.

Last edited:

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
My writing and my severe mental health issues have usually been two separate things. Writing was a distraction from my depression and such. Now that I'm more balanced, I only write a bit. Slowly changing that. Still, nothing like misery to spur on creativity.