The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Eliza -- I'm running Scrivener on PC and it's working fine. I've never used it on Mac, so I can't compare.

Fihr -- Glad you enjoy it too. It's the best writing tool I've ever used. For simple things I still use Jarte. It's a tabbed word processor that's great for multiple things at once.

Aislinn -- Thanks for posting your methods. I do the day list, too. A few weeks ago I started a submission plan document for tracking deadlines and listing stories by category:
Prepare to submit and To Finish.

I tend to get splattered if I have too many projects at once so I keep the daily list short.

I've been getting back into hiking more to bust the stress.

The overall plan includes goals for each month through January 2014 with the deadline reminders so I can prioritize at a glance.

I'm experimenting with getting closer to a set schedule.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
I use Scrivener on a PC and have never used it on a Mac. No troubles here. I did actually 'do' (ie read) the tutorial, which helped me get slightly more than the basics out of the program, though I'm definitely still not an expert.

Batspan, your new system sounds great, really well organised.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone has a story they're planning to send to Lightspeed, better hurry. I just submitted there and saw a note that submissions will close July 31st and not reopen until 2014!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Plasma Frequency just launched a fundraiser to try and increase their contributor rates to 3-4 c/w. Fundraiser page is here.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
If anyone has a story they're planning to send to Lightspeed, better hurry. I just submitted there and saw a note that submissions will close July 31st and not reopen until 2014!

Gosh! Thankfully I've submitted my most recent stories there and have received my rejections already! :)

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Eliza: Thanks for the news.

Fihr: Right there with you. Got my Lightspeed sub & R all done before they closed.

Aislinn: Thanks. Creating a system for dealing with submissions has helped me become much more productive.

General update: If there's somewhere more appropriate for posting goals, let me know.

I made my goal of 10 stories out to pro editors by Aug. 1.
I wrote a 3k-word scene by scene outline for a new project. It was supposed to be a novella but looks like a novel.
I also wrote a new futuristic genre-bending story that also wants to be a novel.

I set up this month's goals, including a list of pro markets I haven't tried yet, works to complete and basic strategy. This month I want to get more flash out. July was all 3k to 5+ k. This month I have a novel to complete, so I'm going to dial down the intensive work on short stories.

What are the rest of you planning to pull off for August?

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
So I write in two different genres. Been focusing on the romance/erotic romance genre for most of of the year. But... just this month, I decided to send some of my sff flash stories out into the universe. Can't wait to start getting rejections in a completely different genre. WOOHOO!!! lol I think when I get stuck for stories in one genre, I will switch over to the other. It seems to be helping my creativity and productivity.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
arcticshark, I also like writing in multiple genres. I write paranormal romance (though I hate that description) and mild fantasy, hard SF and not-so-hard crime, and mainstream fiction. I don't think I could give up any of them, though sometimes I think I should.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Aislinn- I love all the genres you write. Throw in some urban fantasy and it could be my reading list. Well and the fictional/factual historic fiction fields. Oh and... ;)!!! I think sometimes I have schizophrenia because my plot bunnies don't know in which camp to park their tent. lol But then again, since I've started writing, I have a strong belief I contracted adult onset ADHD. :)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Plasma Frequency has just added a PayPal option to the Year 2 Fundraiser page.

I really appreciate that his goal is not just to fund his magazine, but to try and raise his rate of pay for authors and illustrators. His goal is 3-4 c/w for authors. He's published 60 stories in just over a year, and so far only has 5 donors, so I hope folks will consider helping out by donating or spreading the word.

Last edited:

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Another multiple-genre writer here. At least submitting in a few areas helps me feel less of a pinch about the limited markets.

Eliza -- Good to hear. It's great to see venues increasing pay rates when they can.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
This has to be one of the best 'submission received' e-mails:

Salutations mortal-

The dark forces at the end of internet have gladly received your submission for The Electronic Voice Phenomenon. We thank you. Our oracles are conferring on the merits of your work and shall be in touch within the next 60 days.

In the meantime, we invite you to join our dark ranks at https://www.facebook.com/TheUnsettledFoundation or https://twitter.com/unsettlers.

cleardot.gif

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. I thought the dark forces at the end of the internet were the people who obsessively edit celebrity Wikipedia entries.

But hey, good luck to you!

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd update that there are only a few days left of PFM's fundraiser. Year 2 Funding

This was the editor's first attempt at crowd funding (that I know of) and it hasn't gone well, which is too bad. I've worked with him as an editor and his contracts, communication, publication schedule and payments are all professional and timely. One of his stated goals for the fundraiser was to be able to raise his payment rates for contributors.

It's pretty obvious he isn't going to come anywhere near his goal, but since this isn't a Kickstarter, he keeps whatever is pledged. I'm sure he'd appreciate whatever contributions people made or anyone spreading the word.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Did some writing tonight for the first time in nearly a year. Actual, honest-to-goodness writing. Feel like dancing in the street! :snoopy:

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Fihr - thanks for fixing that link. I copied my post from another forum and forgot to re-do the link.

Izz - glad you are reveling in the joy of writing again!

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Sai -- May the oracles be favorable.
Izz -- Good going! Warning: can become addictive.

Catching up on short story subs now that I've made it through the first draft of a novella. Have five out to pro markets, working my way back up to 10.

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Izz -- I'm hearing that 'back in the saddle' song. Go for it. Keep checking in.

I started back on fiction in May after a l-o-n-g haul of copywriting by setting aside a little time once a week on a novel. Before long, I was up to 1000 words or more per session.

Then I started revising and submitting favorite short stories that I'd left sitting.

Then I wrote two new short stories.

This month I wrote a novella, at a rate of about 4000 words a day with a peak day of 9600 words. Finished the first draft in two weeks.

Addictive, I tell you.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Izz -- I'm hearing that 'back in the saddle' song. Go for it. Keep checking in.

I started back on fiction in May after a l-o-n-g haul of copywriting by setting aside a little time once a week on a novel. Before long, I was up to 1000 words or more per session.

Then I started revising and submitting favorite short stories that I'd left sitting.

Then I wrote two new short stories.

This month I wrote a novella, at a rate of about 4000 words a day with a peak day of 9600 words. Finished the first draft in two weeks.
w00t! :e2cheer:

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I pulled in all my stories over the summer while I worked on a novella. I finally finished it even as far as revisions go. I sent it out along with three short stories I decided not to give up on yet. I'm trying to get back to ten submissions a month like a did last year. It will be fun to join everyone here again.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome back, Melinda! And congrats on finishing the novella :partyguy: