What are you reading?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Fracture" by Megan Miranda (debut novel). YA slightly paranormal, in the vein of telepathy. Liked it.

MostlyBecca

Squeee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually not currently reading anything. I just finished plowing through the entire Kate Daniels series this week and am still too busy basking in its awesomeness to pick up anything new.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
300-something pages into The Corrections. It lulls in certain places, but overall it's been really good so far. The Twenty-Seventh City excluded, I have yet to pick up one of Franzen's books and not like it. Can't wait for his new essays to come out this month.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Just picked up a copy of Neal Ashers' "Skinner", published in 2002. Yep, I found this little treat for $1.25 in our way out there Dollar Store, located on the fringes of the Forbidden Zone in Sylvania, Alabama. Sylvania isn't even on the friggin map! The book was hanging precariously from a rusted little book tree in the back of the store, totally neglected. What was most shocking/amazing was that the rack only held four other books, and two of them were Succubi Like it Hot and Devil in the Details, both going for $3.00 apiece. I was gobsmacked to see these familiar titles in a place so far off the grid that I seriously got chills up my spine. Just goes to show you how small this universe can really be when you least expect it. Didn't have the extra money for the last two titles, nor did I have a photo phone with me. Alas...

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Inherent Vice - Thomas Pynchon

Like, wow man, this is a psycha-dealio of a book, man. If it was like one of those books on a record, man, it would be groovy!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Good book!

Any suggestions for the next book I should read? I'm open to suggestions.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean. Interesting with a hint of menace so far.

ETA: Finished. Different, deep, ending a bit predictable but excellent ride.

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
The Cormorant, which is, at page 40 or so, a very little bit brooding, and mostly amusing.

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
The Lifeboat, by Charlotte Rogan.

This one is getting tons of press, bolstered no doubt, in part, by the whole Titanic-aversary, but it's disappointing. There's no mystery, no thrills (as reported), and the protagonist is so self-centered and so useless that I want her to fall overboard and die.

Unfortunately this is a frame novel, so I already know she makes it off the lifeboat.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished The Corrections a couple of days ago. Very dense book, but like all of the works I've read by Franzen, I enjoyed it immensely in the end.

Started reading This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper this afternoon. Very funny so far, promises to be a light read, which is good, because I'm considering picking up my hardcover copy of A Thousand Acres which looks textbook-thick sitting on my bookshelf.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Blessed Lands Egypt (J. Carrell Jones), a freebie Kindle download. In a world where classical Egypt continues to rule into modern times, a humble priest blessed by Thoth is destined to confront and destroy one of the most powerful figures in the land.

At least, that's what the prologue promised. Thus far, it's about a humble priest blessed by Thoth having a dinner party with his sister despite his annoyingly shrewish wife. The whole thing feels rough around the edges, like it could've used another round of revisions before hitting the open market, but hopefully it picks up soon.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about half way through The Devil Colony, by James Rollins. I'm loving it!

Last edited:

me-a-monsteR

Bites upon request
Registered
Reaction score
Finished instalment eight of Kresley Cole's Immortals after dark series. Now, stretching my limbs to start Mario Puzo's The godfather.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Lamb by Christopher Moore. He is hilarious! I love it!

I'm also reading Loving Frank...can't think of the author right now.